Win 10 super sluggish with FF open, possibly other applications as well

When I got back from my 6 day stay in the hospital, my system was on, but refused to give me control. I had to physically power the system down via the power baton. Since that point the system has become very sluggish/non-responsive whenever I have FF running. I have run FF w/out extensions to rule that out, and it has made no difference. I have run SFC a few times, each time it finds no problems, I have run disk cleanup and cleared the Cache, and that has not made any difference. I have checked and installed Windows Updates as an additional troubleshooting method, and I have run SDI (Snappy Driver Installer) to check for any updated system drivers, it has not located any updates. I have also used Patch My PC to check for software updates, and applied a few. I am very confused as to what/where the problem might lie, and even he keyboard is lagging behind (I start typing and it skips letters and/or takes a long time to display) At this point in time, I am ready to reinstall the OS, considering everything else troubleshooting wise has not yielded any clues as to where the problem is. Right now at idle I am showing around 47% use of CPU and RAM (FF is open, as is Brave for monitoring my CCTV system) Does anybody else have any suggestions as to what to try next, or is my best option going to be a reinstall?

I'd uninstall Firefox and delete you profile and reinstall it. If it only acts sluggish when FF is running, that's got to be the problem.

It is more sluggish with FF, which seems strange to me, I am not able to spend a long time trying to figure out what is happening, I have 3 days, as of tomorrow until I go for surgery, and a that point I will not be in a position to care about what the system is doing

Hello,

I wonder if the system was going into and out of hibernation and into Fast Startup, which means that instead of actually powering down, the operating system's kernel was suspended to RAM (or disk) and then the computer's BIOS (UEFI) firmware would just power back up into that, or reading it back into memory from disk, if necessary.  The thing is, this can lead to incompatibilities with device drivers that don't handle all of the different system states that can occur during a suspend, or there could be a memory leak in some process, etc.

Have you tried opening an elevated Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and issuing a "SHUTDOWN -F -R -T 60" command to make the computer to perform an actual fully shutdown and restart of the computer in 60 seconds (or changing the "60" to whatever value works for best for you)?

If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 26/10/2021 at 22:17, goretsky said:

Hello,

I wonder if the system was going into and out of hibernation and into Fast Startup, which means that instead of actually powering down, the operating system's kernel was suspended to RAM (or disk) and then the computer's BIOS (UEFI) firmware would just power back up into that, or reading it back into memory from disk, if necessary.  The thing is, this can lead to incompatibilities with device drivers that don't handle all of the different system states that can occur during a suspend, or there could be a memory leak in some process, etc.

Have you tried opening an elevated Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and issuing a "SHUTDOWN -F -R -T 60" command to make the computer to perform an actual fully shutdown and restart of the computer in 60 seconds (or changing the "60" to whatever value works for best for you)?

If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have hibernation disabled. But I got to the point where I could not handle it any longer, so I reinstalled the OS

Hello,

How is the system behaving now?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 29/10/2021 at 04:13, goretsky said:

Hello,

How is the system behaving now?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Much better, I also offloaded the CCTV to a new system, so that has helped a lot as well!