New laptop issue

Dumb thought on my part....since I haven't gone through the Windows 11 setup (assuming that is the OS) ... but my understanding is it needs an internet connection for the Microsoft account.  I'm assuming his "Next" is grayed out because no networks are listed.

Could the OP have his SSID hidden therefore it isn't being shown in the "Lets connect you to a network"?

Just assumptions on my part...based on zero experience setting up 11.

On 26/10/2021 at 21:41, Jim K said:

Dumb thought on my part....since I haven't gone through the Windows 11 setup (assuming that is the OS) ... but my understanding is it needs an internet connection for the Microsoft account.  I'm assuming his "Next" is grayed out because no networks are listed.

Could the OP have his SSID hidden therefore it isn't being shown in the "Lets connect you to a network"?

Just assumptions on my part...based on zero experience setting up 11.

I'm just not sure why he can't do a shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt and use the method I perfected for bypassing this. Is the shift+F10 disabled on OEM setups?

On 26/10/2021 at 22:54, warwagon said:

I'm just not sure why he can't do a shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt and use the method I perfected for bypassing this. Is the shift+F10 disabled on OEM setups?

I tried your method 3x tonight and it didnt work. I also tied shift+f10 and that dont work either. Maybe my mind isnt clear now from spending 6 hours on the phone with ppl from Lenovo making me try various things that didnt work. I will try this again tomorrow with a clear head/mind. Thx for all they help guys. I will try this again tomorrow and let u know the results. I appreciate all the help given to me so far very much. :)

On 27/10/2021 at 05:03, Bruinator said:

I tried your method 3x tonight and it didnt work. I also tied shift+f10 and that dont work either.

You tried Shift+F10, and you also tried shift+f10...

Just to be sure, you know that F10 refers to a function key on your keyboard, right? You don't hold shift, then press f, then 1 and then 0... :laugh:

Also don't forget that because it is a laptop you might need to press and hold the Fn key in order for F10 to be recognised as F10. So in that case, you would press and hold the Shift key, the Fn key and then the key that says F10.

Also, I don't think you mentioned which operating system you are trying to install. People seem to have assumed Windows 11, but when I look on the website the Ideapad 3 seems to come with Windows 10 still. If it's Windows 10 isn't there an option to skip connecting to a network?

EDIT: I just saw your screenshots. I'm glad I was right about Windows 10, although it's strange that I don't see the option to skip the network step. Try using the Shift+F10 option though, remembering about the Fn key.

On 27/10/2021 at 07:31, Nick H. said:

EDIT: I just saw your screenshots. I'm glad I was right about Windows 10, although it's strange that I don't see the option to skip the network step. Try using the Shift+F10 option though, remembering about the Fn key.

Yes, the screenshot was of Windows 11 and it's not strange at all. That's what Stupid Windows 11 does. If it doesn't detect anything plugged into ethernet or if for some reason Wi-Fi is turned off, that's as far as your ass will get in the Windows 11 setup. (At least on the home version) Next will not be available, it's so stupid! Thus my workaround. 

As Aryeh Goretsky said, this is also why everyone should purchase a nice cheap usb to ethernet adapter, so useful and cheap! $13 on Amazon.

Hi Guys,

Sorry i couldnt reply yesterday as we lost power to my house for 24 hours. I just ordered a replacement and I am sending the one with issues back to amazon. Much appreciated for all the help given to me.

On 27/10/2021 at 09:47, warwagon said:

As Aryeh Goretsky said, this is also why everyone should purchase a nice cheap usb to ethernet adapter, so useful and cheap! $13 on Amazon.

That is exactly what i did this past monday. Send back issue PC with the issue and will get a refund. Typing on the same model and brand of a new one now. What a PITA with the other one.

On 29/10/2021 at 04:14, goretsky said:

Hello,

Is the new laptop behaving properly with your network?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi Aryeh,

Thx for asking. No issues with this laptop as I have used it for a day. TYVM for everyone who helped me with me other laptop. Greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bruinator

Earlier I was going to suggest creating a new windows user account to see if the issues persist, but alas, I was to late.  :( I tend to use two accounts on my home computer for testing.  Though, typically, I truly use a VM that I run different scenarios, with a snapshot that I can then revert my changes.