Can HDR be turned on on my RTX 2060 mobile on Windows 11? I only see the Intel GPU, and not the nvidia one


 Share

Recommended Posts

I see the option on Age of Empires IV to use HDR.

However, I am unable to select this option via Windows Display Settings.

The notebook in question here is: Asus ROG Strix GL731GV-EV026T

 

For some reason, I can only change the standard Intel GPU, but not my 6 GB nvidia RTX 2060 mobile.

Anyone know why this can be? The 'Select a display to view or change its settings" is just locked to Display 1: Internal Display (Intel UHD Graphics 630).

No way to select Display 2 (nvidia GeForce RTX 2060), even not via the nvidia Control Panel.

 

Any idea as to why?

Is HDR possible anyhow??

 

I have the lastest drivers from nvidia's site 496.49 (and not the one from Asus).... thinking of it, can this be the issue? (not 'officially supported' drivers from Asus)?

HDR-question.png

 

EDIT:

I know it says "HDR not supported", but this is for Display 1 (the Intel GPU). Like I said, I cannot select Display 2 (nvidia)

HDR-question2.png

Edited by kiddingguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guess is that your laptop's screen is currently being 'driven' by the Intel GPU. idk if this can be changed, but that's probably why the Display 2 option is locked.

 

Does Hz matter when using HDR? Probably not, but could 144Hz be too high for HDR to function?

 

Does HDR require a 10-bit panel? i see yours is listed as 8-bit.

 

No idea here - just asking more questions w/o answers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you have a second display attached or are you just assuming it meant display card?  That laptop doesn't have an HDR screen.

 

On 28/10/2021 at 12:53, Jason S. said:

My guess is that your laptop's screen is currently being 'driven' by the Intel GPU. idk if this can be changed, but that's probably why the Display 2 option is locked.

 

Does Hz matter when using HDR? Probably not, but could 144Hz be too high for HDR to function?

 

Does HDR require a 10-bit panel? i see yours is listed as 8-bit.

 

No idea here - just asking more questions w/o answers.

No, and no.  For 1080p144 it wouldn't be a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The primary display driver must support HDR for it to work - the nVidia driver has supported HDR since the GTX 1k series - and at resolutions down to 720p (which came as a pleasant surprise to me).  I know of no Intel GPU driver that supports HDR - at any resolution - a rather horrible flaw when watching video.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2021 at 15:14, Nope said:

Do you have a second display attached or are you just assuming it meant display card?  That laptop doesn't have an HDR screen.

 

No, and no.  For 1080p144 it wouldn't be a problem.

Just my notebook display running @144Hz. No additional screens/monitors attached to it.

The Intel GPU has some sort of HDR - the streaming of HDR, which makes/made me think "why isn't my nvidia GPU - the better one ;) - not HDR 'compatible'""? So basically my display/graphics card. 

 

But if my notebook doesn't have an HDR screen, I guess that explains it...

 

 

On 28/10/2021 at 16:21, PGHammer said:

The primary display driver must support HDR for it to work - the nVidia driver has supported HDR since the GTX 1k series - and at resolutions down to 720p (which came as a pleasant surprise to me).  I know of no Intel GPU driver that supports HDR - at any resolution - a rather horrible flaw when watching video.

Can't I turn this somehow... that the nvidia is displaying/running HDR - and be the primary display driver - and the Intel one just supports the other graphics tasks (if the nvidia-one is running out of juice)?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2021 at 15:21, PGHammer said:

The primary display driver must support HDR for it to work - the nVidia driver has supported HDR since the GTX 1k series - and at resolutions down to 720p (which came as a pleasant surprise to me).  I know of no Intel GPU driver that supports HDR - at any resolution - a rather horrible flaw when watching video.

According to Intel they support it on HD 620 and up. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2021 at 22:24, Nope said:

According to Intel they support it on HD 620 and up.

.... how do I get this feature?

Or is it a bug in Windows 11 and/or Intel's Display drivers (I'm running Intel's 30.0.100.9955)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2021 at 15:26, kiddingguy said:

.... how do I get this feature?

Or is it a bug in Windows 11 and/or Intel's Display drivers (I'm running Intel's 30.0.100.9955)?

You need a display that supports it.  There's no other way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

i would suggest running a program like EnTech Taiwan's Monitor Asset Manager which will tell you the exact model of LCD display panel in the ASUS ROG STRIX GL731GV-EV026T gaming notebook. 

 

With that information, you should be able to look up its specifications and determine if it support HDR.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

itsnot an hdr panel, end of story, wont matter what gfx card u have going if the monitor or screen does not support it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/10/2021 at 04:08, goretsky said:

Hello,

i would suggest running a program like EnTech Taiwan's Monitor Asset Manager which will tell you the exact model of LCD display panel in the ASUS ROG STRIX GL731GV-EV026T gaming notebook. 

 

With that information, you should be able to look up its specifications and determine if it support HDR.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

The screen is: 17.3" LG Display LP173WFG-SPB1

I cannot find anything related to HDR to it. Does that mean that it's not available on this screen... and it's only a 144Hz display?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything points to it not be HDR compatible ... including your own Windows screenshot (Use HDR - Not supported).  

 

Panelook doesn't show it as a feature either...

https://www.panelook.com/LP173WFG-SPB1_LG Display_17.3_LCM_overview_44065.html

 

...compared to a few panels that do have HDR...

https://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=40951

https://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=46741

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/10/2021 at 06:33, kiddingguy said:

The screen is: 17.3" LG Display LP173WFG-SPB1

I cannot find anything related to HDR to it. Does that mean that it's not available on this screen... and it's only a 144Hz display?

Yes, HDR is not a feature of this screen, so you cannot use it. You'd have to buy an external monitor that supports HDR.

 

I'm still curious to know why you cant manage the GPU from the Windows display properties. That is, in your first screenshot, why cant you choose the drop down box and manage/configure the dGPU?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2021 at 15:26, kiddingguy said:

.... how do I get this feature?

Or is it a bug in Windows 11 and/or Intel's Display drivers (I'm running Intel's 30.0.100.9955)?

if everything supports it, you just turn it on...

 

Intel IGPU check

Nvidia GPU check

Windows check

cable ?????

display ?????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,


From looking at the product specification sheet for the LP156WF6 panel, it looks like it was designed in 2014, and is a 6-bit, 300-nit display.  In 2014, the only HDR standard was Dolby Vision, but that required a 10-bit display with 1,000 nits.

I am completely unfamiliar with ASUS' notebooks, but perhaps you could ask on their support forum about whether it is possible to replace the panel with a newer model that supports HDR.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/10/2021 at 14:38, Jason S. said:

(...)

 

I'm still curious to know why you cant manage the GPU from the Windows display properties. That is, in your first screenshot, why cant you choose the drop down box and manage/configure the dGPU?

Exactly my question as well... it is a bug? Either Windows, nvidia, Intel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/10/2021 at 06:03, kiddingguy said:

Exactly my question as well... it is a bug? Either Windows, nvidia, Intel?

yea, use the nvidia control panel ...  and/or configure which programs use the nvidia GPU via System > Display > Graphics

 

I see nothing wrong with your "Advanced Display" ... it is showing your display device (monitor) not settings for your iGPU/dGPU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.