Looking for Right-Angle RGB (3 and 4 pin) and USB 2.0 headers. Is MODDIY my only option/reliable?

I have a Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX motherboard, it has two 12V 4-pin RGB headers, and two 5V 3-pin ARGB headers. As well as two 9-pin USB 2.0 headers. 

The top set of the 4/3 pin RGB headers are already going to be in use, but I still need to use both sets on the bottom of the board, as well as one of the USB 2.0 headers. You can see these headers here: 

https://i.imgur.com/v4c6mnE.jpg 

Problem is... my RAID card is blocking all of them: 

https://i.imgur.com/SJCtnEK.jpg 

(And I can't use the port above it because on top of blocking airflow to my GPU, it would also cut it's bandwidth in half. 

It's not a complete snug fit, there IS some room: 

https://i.imgur.com/6wrGvdB.jpg 

But it's not enough. While I can still fit the USB 2.0 header just barely, I don't like how much it's pushing against the battery on the RAID card. And the 4-pin RGB header is completely too big due to how large the standard connector seems to be (My ARGB fans for that port have not arrived yet, but from what I understand, the plugs are around the same size as the RGB ones anyway). 

So since there is SOME wiggle room but not a lot, I was wondering if there was any sort of ultra-thin extension cable, or a right-angle connector or anything I could use. I tried to Google about it, but almost all the results for ultra-thin cables were just splitters that had a plug just as big if not bigger, and for right-angle all I found were L-shaped connectors for people who want to setup LED strips along the walls and ceilings of their home, pretty much none of the results were for PCs. And USB got all of my results end up as either USB 3.0 right-angle connectors, or an actual USB cable that had the ends be right-angled. You would think trying to specify "headers" and "PC" would help narrow it down! 

However, there was one reddit post I found mentioning a site called MODDIY that seemed to have (almost) exactly what I need. 

First of all, can this site even be trusted? Never heard of it before, and I wanted to know if I can trust the connectors to not short out or something since they cost just a few cents each (though admittedly, they seem quite simple since it's just a pin to a pin). 

These were the ones I found for RGB: 

https://www.moddiy.com/products/RGB-12V-LED-Light-Strip-4-Pin-Male-Female-90-Degree-Angled-Connector.html

They seem like they will do the job. I am wondering if it is safe to use something like this, and if there would be any exposed parts that could cause a short. (Not sure what to do about that, electrical tape?) 

The ARGB ones however were a little problematic: 

https://www.moddiy.com/products/RGB-5V-LED-Light-Strip-3-Pin-Male-Female-90-Degree-Angled-Connector.html

If I am looking at this correctly, these would sadly point in the opposite direction I need, they would point up towards the RAID card, and I need them to point down. Furthermore, the images are confusing. One shows a proper setup with one of the pins filled in and empty.... and the other image instead shows standard 4-pin connectors of both male and female. Which makes me question how reliable this site or it's products are. 

And then there is USB: 

https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-2.0-9-Pin-90-Degree-Angled-Internal-Header-Connector-2.54mm-Dupont.html

This seems like the proper connector. If I am looking at it right, it should point the pins down judging by where the blank pin in my motherboard is right? But I am not sure if that is reliable. It looks a bit.... overly-simplistic and shoddy. Is this normal looking for this kind of connector? 

Does anyone have experience with this site/such connectors? Is this site or these connectors reliable or am I asking for trouble? And are there any other sites that sell such a thing? I was shocked that this appeared to be the ONLY site that had such products, couldn't even find them on Newegg or Amazon. And furthermore, even if I were to get 10 of each of the RGB connectors and two of the USB connectors. that comes out to a mere $5.... yet... it estimates it will cost around $10 to ship! Are there any alternatives so I don't have to pay literally double the price of the connectors just to ship them?

MODDIY is trustworthy.  I've ordered from them in the past w/o issue.

The 4-pin you linked to would work without issue.  I wouldn't worry about shorts ... the exposed areas should be covered when you plug in the RGB cable.  Obviously, after connecting you can verify to make sure.  Same with the USB header...it looks good to me.

The 3-pin is more problematic.  The 3 pins would be pointing up.  However, I do not see why you couldn't take needle nose pliers and bend them to the correct direction...would be super easy, barely an inconvenience.  :) ...or just plug in and use the RGB cable to bend them.

///

Another potential option is to use a splitter cable and power your ARGB fans from the top header...just be sure all your fan RGBs do not exceed, per manual, "maximum power rating of 5A (5V) and maximum number of 1000 LEDs"

... maybe a RGB hub? Or a powered RGB splitter?

How many fans are we talking about?

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2021 at 06:45, Jim K said:

The 3-pin is more problematic.  The 3 pins would be pointing up.  However, I do not see why you couldn't take needle nose pliers and bend them to the correct direction...would be super easy, barely an inconvenience.  :) ...or just plug in and use the RGB cable to bend them.

Yeah, I was wondering how well that would work, that or taking one of the 4-pin ones and trying to yank one of the pins out.

Another potential option is to use a splitter cable and power your ARGB fans from the top header...just be sure all your fan RGBs do not exceed, per manual, "maximum power rating of 5A (5V) and maximum number of 1000 LEDs"

The problem with those is from what I read, that would just make both of the fans copy each other in terms of RGB, while if I used different headers on them I can control them individually, likewise:

... maybe a RGB hub? Or a powered RGB splitter?

And using a hub would not only mean a mess of wires, but also either have the same problem as the splitter, or require me to on top of my motherboard's RGB software install additional RGB control software that might not sync with my board.

How many fans are we talking about?

Two 200mm ARGB on the top (I will have to daisy-chain the ARGB on these), one 230mm (damn was this one hard to find) RGB in the front, one 140mm RGB in the back, and one 200mm ARGB on the side. It's a Cooler Master HAF X case.

Hello,

As @Jim K noted, MODDIY is a reputable company.  I have ordered from them in the past as well.  Keep in mind, though, that shipping might take much longer than normal from them.  It certainly did when I purchased some USB 3.0 right-angle adapters from them last year. 

You might be able to find connectors in online marketplaces like Alibaba and eBay as well.

I cannot imagine that either the voltage or the signal frequency would be high enough that using an adapter would interfere with the lighting in any way.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

I am not so much worried about interference with the lighting so much as exposed parts of the pins possibly shorting against something or the pins/wires themselves not being well made and shorting out (Like all those horror stories of SATA adapters that caught fire, although I acknowledge that SATA draws a lot more power than RGB and fan headers... not sure about USB though).

Hello,

USB 2.0 delivers +5 VDC at 0.5 mA, so, 2.5 watts.  If you are concerned about an electrical short, test the pins for continuity before installation, and look into applying some electrical tape (or shrink-wrap tubing) if possible at install time to the exposed areas.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky