Samsung NvMe Firmwire Update Troubles

Why it is so tough to get Samsung Magician to see thats there a firmwire update available for The 970 Evo Plus NvMe Drives?

Reinstalled The Magician software a few times so far today,  Tried making usb stick, well that did no good, as darn thing didn't see the 500GB Nvme boot drive, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb in this Desktop here

Am Running Windows 11 Pro x64, but think that has noting to do with it, probably be just as hard to upgrade as if i was using Windows 10

Maybe i should've just stayed using Western Digital SSDs and perhaps my first Nvme Drive should've been Western digital SN750 in the first place as boot drive,  Gotten a bigger Sata SSD for Game Drive, and used the WD Black 4TB hard drive for storage, maybe i'd have less frustration now

Do have a support ticket in with Samsung, but don't know if thats gonna do any good

Performance wise not noticing any slowdowns at all in anything i do---just bugs me when an update is avaialble, and it will Not accept, will bug me til it does somehow, someway 

Edited by bikeman25

So magician doesn't see the drive at all?

Or its just saying there is no update?

And then you downloaded the firmware directly - the iso files you create usb boot with, and it didn't even see the drive..  You sure you grabbed the correct firmware? I show the 970 evo plus as ISO 4B2QEXM7

available here

https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com/global.semi.static/SAMSUNG_BRAND_SSD_970EVOPLUS_ISO/FW/E2512E718DB3E7EWGM90AJ0J2KIA55338LDA8A7108M1Y2D99/Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_4B2QEXM7.iso

What firmware are you currently running?

Running Currently Firmwire for NVME 970 Evo Plus 2B2QEXM7,  Grabbed the ISO before, tried the usb method Samsung said to do,  except after doing that--BIos does not see the drive at all period, so can't boot to it

(Desktop is running Windows 11 Pro x64 22000.348)

Magician says the one referenced above is the current version

Samsung Offical Forum related to this matter

Alot of folks having same issue,  No EtA from Samsung for offical fix yet on this matter

Samsung Magician.png

I am seeing the same update thing.

update.jpg.2d338c056255854e46da7ad3dc2426fa.jpg

But my 2 ssd a 860 evo and a 850 pro both show having the same firmware that is available to download.  Seems like a issue with their magician software.. As to the download iso not seeing the drive - could be the mode the drive is in on your bios, again just bad setup for newer machines and their iso?

For now I would prob just click the little trash can

update2.jpg.ab7d0ef164e9edcc71b5c366a13d0f32.jpg

So it stops bugging you and just keep an eye out on that thread for when they say its "fixed"

Yeah best i can do,  did hit the trash can on that message for now,  will keep checking Samsung community message board and hopefully fixed pretty soon.    As tried 4 different usb drives for the usb method and nothing lol,  so now think just gonna wait and guess all i can do 

Prob not a problem with the usb stick, but more in their booting os not having even a driver for how your nvme is connected, etc.   is this a really new PC? 

I have a new PC coming in like a week, going to have a 1TB NVME boot disk..  I will be able to do a bit more play then.. My current pc only has ssd va sata.

Not a New PC,   Had it since June 2020

But newer than my Secondary Gaming Laptop that one has 128GB M.2,  eventually upgrading to maybe Western Digital M.2 or Maybe Samsung if i'm resatisfied with the company depending on how this situation resolves

Clean installed Windows 11 Pro x64  on October 6th 2021,  no real problems guess til this

You might have to be patient, I have several Samsung drives in my PC, two days ago I was offered an update for the external T7 and this morning I was offered a firmware update for the Samsung 980 1TB NVMe drive. I am currently cloning a HDD to a newly bought 870 QVO and this did not prompt for a firmware update, but it appears to be the latest for my drive.

Unless the firmware update addresses an issue you're having, then I can understand, otherwise I would rather not be updating firmware all the time lol.

Yeah well don't know what issue it addresses as theres no release notes on the Samsung site lol,  but at this point couldn't install it if i wanted to lol,  as doesn't see it as available in Magican,  USB Method didn't work as suggested by Samsung support,  so guess gonna have to be patient

Tried That, followed the usb nvme firmwire install instructions to the letter,  except bios can't see the flash drive to set it to boot to that device.     So well i was like well that not gonna

Tried 4 USB sticks,  same results for each one

Got this message as well. Put it in trash.

But... I have a 1TB 980.

Is the Pro FW also compatible with this SSD, or should I keep waiting?

On 08/12/2021 at 20:07, kiddingguy said:

Got this message as well. Put it in trash.

But... I have a 1TB 980.

Is the Pro FW also compatible with this SSD, or should I keep waiting?

HEY!

I also have a 1TB 980 :) 

Looks like in the same boat, have the 1TB 970 Plus, magician moans update available but also up to date lol  Hopefully they'll get it sorted soon.

From this site - SSD Tools & Software | Download | Samsung Semiconductor - Link

"* Notice: ISO files may be used only via DOS using a bootable CD/DVD."

Seems to conflict with the ISO install directions.  Link

Found out my Samsung 970 Evo Plus may or may not need an update after all,   Probably on the old Controller, before they quietly revised it with a newer PCIe 4.0 Controller later on, and kept the same name.    I think i paniced over nothing once again

Mine was Purchased December 2020 for a Christmas Gift then

Also is Windows 11 is Compatible with Samsung NvMe Driver?    or should i stick to Microsoft Driver

Info On the Controller Change of 970 Evo Plus

The 980 isn’t listed in the drivers section. Also not Windows 11.

When will this driver-tool be updated?

And what about the FW?

On 08/12/2021 at 16:31, bikeman25 said:

Found out my Samsung 970 Evo Plus may or may not need an update after all,   Probably on the old Controller, before they quietly revised it with a newer PCIe 4.0 Controller later on, and kept the same name.    I think i paniced over nothing once again

Mine was Purchased December 2020 for a Christmas Gift then

Also is Windows 11 is Compatible with Samsung NvMe Driver?    or should i stick to Microsoft Driver

Info On the Controller Change of 970 Evo Plus

I use the Samsung NvMe driver with Windows 11 without any problems.  I have the 970 EVO Plus 250GB and the 500GB.