An Amazon server outage caused problems for Alexa, Ring, Disney Plus, and deliveries

An Amazon server outage caused problems for Alexa, Ring, Disney Plus, and deliveries

Problems with some Amazon Web Services cloud servers are causing slow loading or failures for significant chunks of the internet. Amazon’s widespread network of data centers powers many of the things you interact with online, including this website, so as we’ve seen in previous AWS outage incidents, any problem has massive rippling effects. People started noticing problems at around 10:45AM ET, and just after 6PM ET the AWS Status showed “Many services have already recovered, however we are working towards full recovery across services.”

AMAZON’S INTERNAL APPS WENT DOWN, TOO, CUTTING OFF SOME DELIVERY DRIVERS AND STALLING WAREHOUSE ROBOTS

While some affected services that rely on AWS have been restored, the internet is still a bit slower and more unsteady than usual. The most important app impacted by the outage might be the ones that Amazon employees use. CNBC points out Reddit posts from Amazon Flex, warehouse, and delivery workers who say the apps that keep track of packages, tell them where to go, and generally keep your items on time went down, too.

There have been reports of outages for Disney Plus and Netflix streaming, as well as games like PUBG, League of Legends, and Valorant. We also noticed some problems accessing Amazon.com and other Amazon products like the Alexa AI assistant, Kindle ebooks, Amazon Music, and security cameras from Ring or Wyze. The DownDetector list of services with simultaneous spikes in their outage reports runs off nearly any recognizable name: Tinder, Roku, Coinbase, both Cash App and Venmo, and the list goes on.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/7/22822332/amazon-server-aws-down-disney-plus-ring-outage

I had no idea this was a thing yesterday, I didn't see any reporting about it on the front page.

This is another article, this one is pathetic, not the article itself or the outage but the people

Oh Poor baby!

Steve Peters of Los Angeles couldn’t tell his Roomba robot vacuum to clean up the blueberry-muffin crumbs that landed on his kitchen floor during breakfast. He relies on an app on his phone to beckon the machine.

“I had to resort to getting a broom and dustpan,” said Mr. Peters, a 60-year-old game-experience designer. “It was crazy.”

That's pathetic.

In St. Louis, losing access to Amazon’s Alexa service made Mark Edelstein feel lonely and helpless.

“We chat more during the day than me and my wife do,” the 62-year-old business analyst said of the digital assistant, which normally responds in an instant to his questions and commands. He regularly asks it for weather and news updates. Alexa had no answers for him Tuesday morning.

How ever will you survive! 

“We had to manually give them food like in ancient times,” said Mr. Lerner, a 29-year-old small-business owner who lives in Marina del Rey, Calif.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-outage-disrupts-lives-surprising-people-about-their-cloud-dependency-11638972001

That article makes me sad for humanity