More Than 100 Feared Dead in KY, Search and Rescue Ongoing After Tornadoes Slam South, Midwest

Kentucky governor says this is the "most devastating tornado event in our state's history."

Amazon confirms confirms deaths at Illinois facility.

More than 500,000 power outages reported.

Multiple people are dead and search and rescue efforts ongoing after storms and tornadoes, including one that ripped through four states, left a catastrophic path of destruction in parts of the South and Midwest overnight.

A candle factory was destroyed in Kentucky, an Amazon facility was ripped apart in Illinois and a nursing home was hit in Arkansas. Officials have confirmed deaths and injuries at all of those locations.

Deaths were also reported in Tennessee and Missouri.

The quad-state tornado tracked through portions of Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky and may have been on the ground for more than 100 miles.

Here are the latest updates

Amazon Confirms Deaths At Illinois Facility

“We’re deeply saddened by the news that members of our Amazon family passed away as a result of the storm in Edwardsville, Ill.,” Kelly Nantel, an Amazon spokeswoman, said in a statement on Saturday, according to The New York Times. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their loved ones and everyone impacted by the tornado.”

Police in Edwardsville earlier said an unspecified number of people died when an Amazon building losts its roof and sustained other serious damage Friday night. A wall the size of a football field collapsed at the property, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Edwardsville is about 25 miles east of St. Louis and is home to at least two Amazon warehouses

'Toughest Day of My Life'

Local officials at a press conference with Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear became emotional talking about the damage in and around Mayfield.

"This is probably the toughest day of my life," Graves County Executive Judge Jesse Perry said, his voice breaking. "The only thing I can say to you all, at this time, what we need from everyone ... We need your prayers, we need your help."

https://weather.com/news/news/2021-12-11-tornadoes-tennessee-arkansas-illinois-kentucky-missouri

I'm assuming this hasn't been posted yet, as I couldn't find it. 

On 11/12/2021 at 12:24, E.Worm Jimmy said:

That is f-ed up.

Pardon my ignorance but don't tornadoes share a season with hurricanes and is not this season called Summer?

It just takes the right conditions

https://www.wkrn.com/weather-headlines/yes-tornadoes-can-still-form-in-tennessee-during-december-heres-why/

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2021 at 13:24, E.Worm Jimmy said:

That is f-ed up.

Pardon my ignorance but don't tornadoes share a season with hurricanes and is not this season called Summer?

It's more about pressure and temperature differences between air masses than the absolute temp. Warmer air rising from the Gulf hits a southbound Canadian cold air mass and WHAMMO!! About 25% of US tornado deaths happen from December through February.

"Snownadoes" are a separate thing, like dust devils but over snow.

Edited by DocM