What's the Biggest Hard Drive You Have (and regularly use)?

What's the Biggest Hard Drive You Have (and regularly use)?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. The Biggest SINGLE Hard Drive I Have Is...

• 500GB (or less)
    • 1TB
    • 2TB
    • 3TB
    • 4TB
    • 5TB
    • 6TB
    • 7TB or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/04/22 at 23:01

On 12/01/2022 at 10:08, JHBrown said:

I originally had the DS720+. Loved it, but ran out of space with 2 x 14TB in Raid 1

It seems odd that the DS920+ is only €50 more than a 5 bay expansion kit!

DX517 €500 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/763539/synology-dx517-expansion-unit.html

DS920+ €550 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1551248/synology-ds920+-zonder-harde-schijven/specificaties/

On 12/01/2022 at 02:31, Steven P. said:

It seems odd that the DS920+ is only €50 more than a 5 bay expansion kit!

DX517 €500 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/763539/synology-dx517-expansion-unit.html

DS920+ €550 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1551248/synology-ds920+-zonder-harde-schijven/specificaties/

Exactly why people recommend going for the DS920+ initially. It’s more cost effective than buying an expansion kit. However, at the time I said, I’ll never use more than 14TB. 🤪

On 05/01/2022 at 09:41, InsaneNutter said:

How much data do you currently have? If you care about that data then it should be backed up regardless, so the size of the hard drive shouldn't really be really an issue.

Important stuff is backed up to an external hard drive.

A lot of the stuff in my media server can be lost, would provide more hassle than anything else.  Problem is that I want to put two 12TB drives in but unlikely to be able to afford another two for RAID backups AND as the 12TB will be split into three partitions each (maybe), then I'm not sure how that works with RAID.

Although I do wonder what people are hording that can take up 24TB of space...

On 15/01/2022 at 08:39, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Important stuff is backed up to an external hard drive.

A lot of the stuff in my media server can be lost, would provide more hassle than anything else.  Problem is that I want to put two 12TB drives in but unlikely to be able to afford another two for RAID backups AND as the 12TB will be split into three partitions each (maybe), then I'm not sure how that works with RAID.

Although I do wonder what people are hording that can take up 24TB of space...

I've got 24TB of available capacity, but I'm not using all of it, but there's a few big services that take up the majority of my space.

1) Nextcloud for myself, my wife and my kids.  This admittedly doesn't take up very much space compared to some other services, but it does keep historical versions of any files that are modified for a certain period of time, keeps deleted items in the trash bin for a little while, etc.  It's also got several apps installed including one that I use to keep track of my kids' locations and such, news articles we read, a chat service, etc.  All of our phones sync every photo/video we take to Nextcloud, we buy actual FLAC/MP3 music albums online and that gets synced, so it does add up.

2) Plex.  I think this is the single biggest consumer of space.  I've been hitting up the $5 bin at Walmart and ordering DVDs/Blurays from Amazon for years and I compress/dump them onto Plex for our consumption so we're not digging through the discs any time we want to watch any particular movie or show.  I compress them a little to save some space, but Bluray movies, especially the older ones that aren't easily compressed because of all the film grain and dust in the image, can take up a LOT of space, easily in excess of 10GB per movie, especially considering I like to include at least one uncompressed, lossless audio track, if there's one on the disc.  I used to keep the actual disc ISOs that I made by ripping the discs so if I wanted to add a feature, re-encode to a different format, etc. at a later date I had the original source material to work with, but that turned out to be unsustainable with my budget because Bluray ISOs can push 50GB apiece, so I've just got boxes of discs put back in storage that will hopefully never have to be used since their shelf life is only like 20 years.

3) Clonezilla Image repository.  Any time I perform any kind of a major upgrade to a system, work on a computer for somebody else, etc., I make a Clonezilla image of the hard drive before I do anything so that, worst case scenario, I can always restore it to the way it was before I started.  If it's an old image or one from somebody else's computer, I usually delete them after 6 months, but it still takes up a couple terabytes.

4) Software folder.  I've got a folder just called "Software" that's got all kinds of things in it.  ISO images of my PS2, PS3 and other console games I've ripped or dumped, all the ISOs of the latest release of Debian, ISOs of various Windows discs (both from Microsoft's website and ripped, so I don't have to re-download them later), hardware drivers for weird hardware items I've had in the past that I had trouble tracking down so I saved them just in case I need that driver again and all kinds of other misc. oddball items; like an "Easy Chef's 1 Million Recipes" disc my mom bought back in the 90s when we got our first non-DOS computer.

5) A "Backups" folder that's mostly daily backups of various other things like our Nextcloud database, the Nextcloud web and data folders, our Minecraft servers, the Plex database folder (not the media itself), personal file backups for people whose machines I worked on, virtual machines I use so I don't have to set them up all over again if I need one, and most recently, the complete archival backup (text only) of Wikipedia.

image.png.4a4b3dca1e663771b184e500843485ad.png

Wow, I feel like a lightweight compared to some of you folks.

I have 2 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar Enterprise drives for my storage, plus I have 2 500 GB WD SSD drives, and a 1TB external drive for backup.

I have had bad experiences with Seagate drives twice, so I am apprehensive about buying from them again. On the other hand, these Hitachi Ultrastar drives run really well.

On 15/01/2022 at 16:05, devHead said:

Wow, I feel like a lightweight compared to some of you folks.

I have 2 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar Enterprise drives for my storage, plus I have 2 500 GB WD SSD drives, and a 1TB external drive for backup.

I have had bad experiences with Seagate drives twice, so I am apprehensive about buying from them again. On the other hand, these Hitachi Ultrastar drives run really well.

current 2TBs are fairly stable no matter what you get from everything I've read.  I don't know where the cutoff is anymore but I'm sure it's higher than that now

• 3 months later...
On 15/01/2022 at 22:47, Chaos Mage said:

current 2TBs are fairly stable no matter what you get from everything I've read.  I don't know where the cutoff is anymore but I'm sure it's higher than that now

My mom and I have Barracuda Computes of the same 4 TB size - replacing 1 TB boot drives in dissimilar desktops - HP in mom's case, and BYOPC in my case.  Despite the outsize capacities, neither is any larger physically than the original desktop boot drives they replaced.  (For that very  reason, I am not recommending any bigger as a desktop boot drive - despite the Barracuda Compute being available in 8 TB - and Windows 11 being able to use all of it as a single partition.)

On 12/01/2022 at 02:47, Gerowen said:

Cloud storage and streaming really has done away with the days of hoarding hard drives for most people, unless you host your own Nextcloud or Plex or something.

Yeah I am tired of this hoarding.

And I am strangely OK with subscription.

I really don't feel the need for large drives. I mean outside of my 4tb driver that keep the stuff. But outside of those... Yeah .... Steaming.

I fail to ever see the need for anything larger the 4tb (arbitrary number)

I feel with internet speeds nowadays even my 4tb is unnecessary...

Secure and encrypted cloud exists. With more chance to keep your data safe then you can ever get

I called the 1 TB storage of OneDrive of Microsoft 365 Personal the REAL steal of Microsoft 365 Personal - not Office.  (And I don't - and never did - hate Microsoft Office.)  Why?  Because of what I use it for - I use it for archival storage - especially anything that has a lifetime longer than a year - such as tax data.  I do tax forms - both US and state.  Because you are at risk of audit up to - at least - five years after you filed - regardless of HOW you filed - keep backups!  Cloud storage makes it  a no-brainer.  I use Word and Outlook - and OneDrive.  That's mostly it.  I occaisionally use Excel.  I don't use PowerPoint AT ALL.  I don't use Teams - instead, I use Skype (still).  And Microsoft 365 Personal costs - at WORST - $75USD annually.  And it is almost ALWAYS on sale - either online or brick-and-mortar.  I got my subscription as a Christmas present last year. And it's a frigging BARGAIN!

Edited by PGHammer
Additional data

On 09/05/2022 at 12:24, PGHammer said:

I called the 1 TB storage of OneDrive of Microsoft 365 Personal the REAL steal of Microsoft 365 Personal - not Office.  (And I don't - and never did - hate Microsoft Office.)  Why?  Because of what I use it for - I use it for archival storage - especially anything that has a lifetime longer than a year - such as tax data.  I do tax forms - both US and state.  Because you are at risk of audit up to - at least - five years after you filed - regardless of HOW you filed - keep backups!  Cloud storage makes it  a no-brainer.  I use Word and Outlook - and OneDrive.  That's mostly it.  I occaisionally use Excel.  I don't use PowerPoint AT ALL.  I don't use Teams - instead, I use Skype (still).  And Microsoft 365 Personal costs - at WORST - $75USD annually.  And it is almost ALWAYS on sale - either online or brick-and-mortar.  I got my subscription as a Christmas present last year. And it's a frigging BARGAIN!

Exactly.  I've been a happy Microsoft 365 subscriber for many years.  I love OneDrive.

And it kinda makes Dropbox seem like a terrible deal since their main product is basically storage.

Meanwhile... Microsoft will give you OneDrive storage *and* Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

Sure you get 2TB with Dropbox instead of 1TB from Microsoft... but I still think Microsoft 365 is the way to go.