‘Quantum Leap’ Sequel Pilot Greenlit by NBC

T8DQULE_EC001-H-2021.jpg

The possible return of Quantum Leap is taking a big step forward at NBC. The network has greenlit the sequel pilot to the 1989 time-travel adventure-drama that ran for five seasons on the network.

The synopsis reads, “It’s been 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.”

The description makes it sound like original series star Bakula is on board. Nothing is official, but per sources, the actor may be involved.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/quantum-leap-reboot-nbc-1235074815/

Oh boy!

• Like 2

I hope the reboot will do justice to the original and having Bellisario as EP gives me some hope and if they can get Bakula to join as well.

I will miss Al though :(

On 14/01/2022 at 18:06, Zathras5 said:

Ha ha

How did the original show end? Did he ever get home? I forget now.

It's been a while but I am pretty sure he didn't get home.

Anyone else think that all these new shows shot digitally look like crap. When I go back, I love to watch the old movies and tv shot on film. They have a much better look to them.

• Like 2

On 14/01/2022 at 12:15, Done said:

I know, it's not much of a comment but....lol.

I'd love to see them pull something good off but yeesh.

Hope it doesn't look as cheap as the new Mcgiver

On 14/01/2022 at 13:53, warwagon said:

Hope it doesn't look as cheap as the new Mcgiver

macgyver

"Mcgiver" sounds like something else entirely 😂

• Haha 2

I think this is good because the original didn't actually have a ending. It was as open ended as you could make it. 

It's been so long so I don't remember all the details but we find out that he's not the only one who jumps around. And he never actually makes it home as far as we know. 

It was really more about him coming to terms with his situation and not fighting it iirc. 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2022 at 11:44, George P said:

I think this is good because the original didn't actually have a ending. It was as open ended as you could make it. 

It's been so long so I don't remember all the details but we find out that he's not the only one who jumps around. And he never actually makes it home as far as we know. 

It was really more about him coming to terms with his situation and not fighting it iirc. 

I think he finds out that it is god keeping him from going home, or maybe I read this somewhere. 

• Like 1

Older shows can't be redone like they've tried - just doesn't do it. Either keep the same people from back then or leave it be and come up with original programming.

MacGyver really ###### me off how they tried to redo that when its not the same. They will dumb anything down now with guns because of some freak accident and use CGI fake crap vs how it used to be which is a turn off. The reboot of the wonder years is just beyond the most ignorant thing I've ever seen as well just throwing that out there.

• Facepalm 1

On 15/01/2022 at 16:23, Steven P. said:

I think he finds out that it is god keeping him from going home, or maybe I read this somewhere. 

I don't know, I don't remember if we're ever told who the other person jumping is but from what I do remember I think it's hinted at that they can control the jumps at the very least.    It being god might just be a theory since we're never told flat out in the finale.  

I think in the final episode, its explained that he's been the one doing the jumps and at any time he could go home, however he always goes back to his guiding principle of "why did you start project quantum leap" to help people. 

One of his biggest regrets though is that he never helped Al by telling his wife he was alive, not telling her caused Al's family to break apart. So Sam goes back, tells his wife that he's alive and is coming home. He then continues to jump with helping people, never returning home. 

There are definitely other leapers as well as evil leapers which try and make things bad that Sam and others have put right. 

Personally i always felt that the Scott infused a perfect blend of boy scout (doing what is right) with excellent acting to portay the people he had leapt into, i always thought he was very chameleonic like Gary Oldman with how he was able to change into that person and persona, as well as acting in some very tough situations such as Jimmy the mentally disabled person without it becoming a cliche or worse. 

It's why i dont want to see a second/continuation of quantum leap, unless Sam beckets story is told and a whole new cast is introduced with their own story lines away from Sam, just set in the same universe.

I have heard ideas of perhaps sam's Daughter leaping to find Sam or that sam would become Al and help the leaper, i dont think it does his character justice and should really just leave him leaping until he can no longer leap (Sam becket did age).

• 5 months later...

*sigh* ... looks like they "Checked all the boxes" appears we have a non-binary female looking dude.

Black, Asian, Trans, Female 

Check, Check, Check AND Check.

image.png.6fdda0be05d75ae668140aade58c23d3.png

• Facepalm 4

On 30/06/2022 at 19:55, warwagon said:

*sigh* ... looks like they "Checked all the boxes" appears we have a non-binary female looking dude.

Or: They are representing society.  You know... like art tends to do.

• Like 2

On 30/06/2022 at 14:55, warwagon said:

What's with the phobia of LBGTQ+?   I really don't care about the gender of a character as-long-as character is good and carries the story/show along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I only have 1 ask of this show.  Well, maybe it counts as 2... :p

A cameo from Scott Bakula reprising his role...

Closure on what happened to Sam... Maybe with him finally getting to go home in the end...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It's on NBC, which I think sums it up. because the major networks (ABC/NBC/CBS and the like) tend to make crap in general.

basically putting reality shows aside, I rarely, if ever watch anything on NBC/ABC/CBS (and the like) as those shows are a dime-a-dozen as I suspect I would have trouble watching a high percentage of the stuff they put out as I would likely get genuinely bored quickly as the quality just ain't there as when you get used to watching quality movies over the years, you just can't go back to NBC/ABC/CBS and the like in general.

p.s. I like some time travel themed stuff, so the genre has potential in general, but NBC just about guarantee's it's not even worth watching (with maybe a rare exception once in a great while).

Edited by ThaCrip

Ugh so here we may have the central character substituting "Oh boy!" for "Oh shi.." for the weekly regen.. it really is true that you can't make TV anymore without the use of f bombs.

Like when I recently watched Samaritan on Amazon Prime, we have the 76yo Stallone not being fazed at a 13 year old kid swearing his way through the movie (the rest of it was good though).

On 09/09/2022 at 07:44, ThaCrip said:

It's on NBC, which I think sums it up. because the major networks (ABC/NBC/CBS and the like) tend to make crap in general.

basically putting reality shows aside, I rarely, if ever watch anything on NBC/ABC/CBS (and the like) as those shows are a dime-a-dozen as I suspect I would have trouble watching a high percentage of the stuff they put out as I would likely get genuinely bored quickly as the quality just ain't there as when you get used to watching quality movies over the years, you just can't go back to NBC/ABC/CBS and the like in general.

p.s. I like some time travel themed stuff, so the genre has potential in general, but NBC just about guarantee's it's not even worth watching (with maybe a rare exception once in a great while).

That's the spirit. Condemn it before it even begins. You've set up a self fulfilling prophecy for yourself.