problems installing gentoo

well i swapped the hard drive this weekend. but i overlooked one thing, my hard drive is sata connected to a pci controller. i went to promise's website and it seems they do have module for my SATA150 TX2plus.

i can't access the module when i'm installing gentoo from a livecd. modprobe didnt' come up w/ anything (not surprising). i tried grabbing the zip file from promise's website w/ links browser but it didn't like the javascript. so my first problem is how do i get the module (inside install)? and once i get it how do i load it? i can't really start anything til i get it to recognize theres a sata hard drive attached. i tried accessing /dev/sda and /dev/hda and i didn't get anything. (i booted livecd w/ smp doscsi)

another thing is i already installed winxp as first primary partition. years ago i dual booted win2k and freebsd (entire bsd slice is after win2k) just fine. do i have to have a /boot partition before the xp partition? or can i just have all the stuff after xp partition?

about the other stuff I don't know, but you can have a boot partition after xp, if you need it at all. I don't even have one and my computer is dual booting xp and slackware just fine.

start sshd from the life cd (press alt F2 to goto a secondary shell and it tells you how at the top), and use sftp from another linux or OS X computer to transfer the file ;)

start sshd from the life cd (press alt F2 to goto a secondary shell and it tells you how at the top), and use sftp from another linux or OS X computer to transfer the file ;)

not quite an option. only network drive i have here is novell.

easiest way is probably put on a good ol' floppy, but i need a couple reminders on what i can do w/ it. i'm assuming the install won't have problems reading a fat type floppy disk, but how do i mount it and copy the module over? actually how does the livecd work? i think it runs most of the stuff off of the cd (plus some ram storage) so i can't really write anything to the install can i?

not quite an option. only network drive i have here is novell.

easiest way is probably put on a good ol' floppy, but i need a couple reminders on what i can do w/ it. i'm assuming the install won't have problems reading a fat type floppy disk, but how do i mount it and copy the module over? actually how does the livecd work? i think it runs most of the stuff off of the cd (plus some ram storage) so i can't really write anything to the install can i?

You can do it from windows to if you install putty or the sftp tools from ssh.com ;)

http://ssh.com/support/downloads/secureshe...commercial.html

The liveCD mounts some temp space in your ram, so that is where you can save files.

Do a ls in /mnt to see what is available, I think /mnt/boot is the livecd, but I dont remember now.

well i found a direct link to the zip file, except i can't unzip it inside the install (don't know what utility to use, unzip isn't present). so i'm just gonna attach the module here and grab it in the install.

darn, looks like i can't just do insmod. i wonder how am i suppose to get this to work. i think other distros actually ask for floopy disk for scsi like devices (i remember installing redhat w/ 3ware ide raid card).

Edited by Imperfect63

got it working. had to boot using 2.6x livecd instead of the release build. now i can finally install but it looks like my partition is a bit screwed up. will have to fix that later.