Share Your Windows 11 Experience

Windows 11 Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Have you switched to Windows 11?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you switched to Windows 11, did you downgrade?

• Yes
    • No
    • I didn't switch
  3. 3. What is the main impediment for you using Windows 11?

• Hardware Compatibility
    • Software Compatibility
    • New User Interface
    • Hate Change
    • You never upgrade during the first 2 years of a new operating system
    • Increasing integration with cloud services
    • If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    • None of the above (specify below)

Hey all!

I didn't see a thread like this on Neowin so I thought I'd kick one off, mainly because I'm curious in what this community thinks about Windows 11 (versus the cesspool that is Reddit).

As the title says, share your experience! What do you like, what do you hate, what issues and pleasant surprises have you found?

I myself haven't used it so this thread will be a metric for me to decide whether to upgrade or not :).

I'm sure you all that have seen my post know I usually post in controversial threads, but that is not my intent for this one :D.

• Like 1

I am annoyed by the new taskbar and start menu..

And if I am to replace them - what is the point to upgrade? 

Doing just dandy on Win 10. 

I am not sure what exactly do I even need 11 that I cannot have on 10

• Like 3

I for one really like Win11.... and your poll is broken :D ... i cant submit my poll, because there arent any impediments for using Win11.... at least for me!! :) ... i click on None, but nothing happens... 😛 

I have bee using Win11 on my home PC, my Surface Book 3, Surface Laptop Studio and my work Lenovo X1 Carbon ... not had any issues with apps, or drivers etc... 

Took a bit of getting used to the new Start menu, i did somewhat miss the Win10 start menu, but with the news of some pretty major updates coming to start & taskbar, seems like it could just get better! 

Just my opinion... :) I know a lot of folks that hate all the changes. 

• Like 3

While the toolbar and start menu need some work, overall I have not seen any issues with my installs. Biggest issue I ran into is that out of all the devices in my house, on my gaming rig and my sons computer are officially supported. None of my laptops or tablets are supported due to all being 7th gen or older Intel CPUs. Little annoyed as they run fine once I forced the installs.

Loved Win7;

Hated Win10;

Upgraded to Win11 because of the following:

• NVME support;
  • Snappier multi-monitor functionality;
  • Better VR support;
  • Better security;

In u nutshell, Windows 11 is to Windows 10 as what Windows 7 was to Windows Vista. Similarly to Intel's tick-tock model, Win11 is just a more refined OS compared to Win10.

• Like 2

On 12/02/2022 at 13:53, NFT_QUEEN said:

Loved Win7;

Hated Win10;

Upgraded to Win11 because of the following:

• NVME support;
  • Snappier multi-monitor functionality;
  • Better VR support;
  • Better security;

In u nutshell, Windows 11 is to Windows 10 as what Windows 7 was to Windows Vista. Similarly to Intel's tick-tock model, Win11 is just a more refined OS compared to Win10.

Yeah at the cost of all usability and user interface.

Come on this is exactly a half baked OS that might be finished by the time I have to abandon win10.

• Like 3

Hello,

I have added a "None of the above (specify below)" option to question #3, @SpeedyTheSnail, so that people may select that option in order to have an answer for that question in case none of the available selections apply to them.

For example, in my case, it is the operating system not having enough new major security features to warrant an upgrade, coupled with the removal of features in the user interface that I make use of, and instability/bugs in the operating system.  I currently have a single machine running it natively, though, in case I need to test or check something that I cannot in a virtual machine.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I switched to 11 on 3 desktops and 1 laptop. That lasted for a week or two. Switched all back to 10!

Happier with everything on 10, and if it ain't broke, why the heck bother to "upgrade" to 11? 

In some ways, 11 is "prettier" but so what? Win 10 "just works" so why bother with 11!

Eventually I'll probably switch to Linux Mint, but I'm not in a hurry.

I just keep clicking "no" and plan to stay on Win 10, until I can't!

• Like 3

To be clear I am still using Windows 11 now, and I'm not all happy about it.

I only really have a few issues, but they really annoy me and have been disrupting my workflow.

• Dragging files on to an open application on the task bar to bring the application to the front.

This one is just crazy. Drives me insane every day. Having to resize windows just to drag contents across is silly.

• File Explorer no longer shows previews of the folder's photo contents. 

For someone that has used File Explorer for many years for photo management, this is a hard one to get my head around. I understand it might be disable to speed things up a little make things a little snappy but at least give me an option to turn it back on.

• The empty space under the pinned items on the start menu if recommended is disabled.

I don't know who thought having just 3 rows of 6 items is at all useful and then have to scroll down to see the rest when there is half a start menu of blank space still. I've started pin more applications to the task bar now instead. It's just stupid.

• The new context menu and the removal of the system menu.

This one is I've combined, but it's essentially the same thing. Messing around with the menus. Why do we need the 'snow more options' on context menus for basic things like the desktop or file management. or removing task manager from the taskbar. There is a work around for a registry edit for one of them, I know, but for some reason Microsoft seems to have a love of removing the menus. New applications no longer have a system menu, no application icon in the top right now. Can't double click them to close either. 

Don't even get me started on why the paint doesn't even have an option to Exit from the File menu, instead they have a Settings item that takes you to the about dialog box. 

For my girlfriend, not being able to position the task bar at the top of the screen is enough of a reason that she's not moving over. She's used her PCs that way since Windows 95.

I won't be downgrading to W11 while the start menu and taskbar are such a mess. 

Additionally, I'm really annoyed with MS's user hostile moves to deliberately hinder users changing defaults and the forcing of Edge/Bing even when user prefer other choices. I can see it now. MS fans will be rejoicing the improved usage numbers of Edge/Bing even though those numbers will be mostly from unwanted clicks.

I figured I could "fix" the Task bar and Start menu with Start11 but the File Explorer context menu having to constantly click through "Show more options" is what made me switch back to Windows 10. Microsoft made Windows less productive and are tone deaf with regard to what power users want. 

Not to mention the removal of Calendar widget on the systray clock, simple things like that. Microsoft failed hard with Windows 11.

• Like 2

On 12/02/2022 at 22:21, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Yeah at the cost of all usability and user interface.

Come on this is exactly a half baked OS that might be finished by the time I have to abandon win10.

Agreed to disagree :) 

Give me NVME support [and extended security updates - wishful thinking, I know] in Win7 and I'll forget about the Win10/11 fiasco and mess altogether.

Win7 is the last ad-free OS by Microsoft.

Also, please do check out my Win11 rant here :) 

Edited by NFT_QUEEN
  • Like 2

My only "officially" compatible device is my gaming PC which has a Ryzen processor.  Windows 11 initially had performance issues with Ryzen processors, so didn't seem worth upgrading at the time...

In general I dislike the taskbar, start menu and context menu changes, so feel I'd only gain annoyances by upgrading at the moment. Granted third party apps could fix some of those issues, however I shouldn't really have to resort to using them.

The sounds on Windows 11 are much more pleasing compared on Windows 10, so credit where credit is due that's one thing I do like if we're looking for some positives. The settings app has also improved, however neither of those are features that would make me want to upgrade.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2022 at 05:08, NFT_QUEEN said:

Agreed to disagree :) 

Give me NVME support [and extended security updates - wishful thinking, I know] in Win7 and I'll forget about the Win10/11 fiasco and mess altogether.

Curious what you mean by "NVME support" with regards to Windows 11 vs. 10?

On 13/02/2022 at 01:12, goretsky said:

Hello,

I have added a "None of the above (specify below)" option to question #3, @SpeedyTheSnail, so that people may select that option in order to have an answer for that question in case none of the available selections apply to them.

For example, in my case, it is the operating system not having enough new major security features to warrant an upgrade, coupled with the removal of features in the user interface that I make use of, and instability/bugs in the operating system.  I currently have a single machine running it natively, though, in case I need to test or check something that I cannot in a virtual machine.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank’s Goretsky!

On 13/02/2022 at 15:53, Jim K said:

Curious what you mean by "NVME support" with regards to Windows 11 vs. 10?

There's no difference.

I skipped Win10 and was upgrading to Win11 from Win7 which lacked NVME support.

On 13/02/2022 at 15:47, InsaneNutter said:

My only "officially" compatible device is my gaming PC which has a Ryzen processor.  Windows 11 initially had performance issues with Ryzen processors, so didn't seem worth upgrading at the time...

In general I dislike the taskbar, start menu and context menu changes, so feel I'd only gain annoyances by upgrading at the moment. Granted third party apps could fix some of those issues, however I shouldn't really have to resort to using them.

The sounds on Windows 11 are much more pleasing compared on Windows 10, so credit where credit is due that's one thing I do like if we're looking for some positives. The settings app has also improved, however neither of those are features that would make me want to upgrade.

Agreed.

The Win8/Win10 start menu was absolutely the worst! [Frigging advertisements in the start menu, OMFG, burn it with fire!!!]

Win11 Start Menu is an upgrade in the right direction. 

On 12/02/2022 at 15:57, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Hey all!

I didn't see a thread like this on Neowin so I thought I'd kick one off

Not gonna lie, you really messed up with the poll here.

I still haven't voted because the 3rd question is not only illogical, but also broken. 

On 13/02/2022 at 10:55, NFT_QUEEN said:

Agreed.

The Win8/Win10 start menu was absolutely the worst! [Frigging advertisements in the start menu, OMFG, burn it with fire!!!]

Win11 Start Menu is an upgrade in the right direction. 

Crap. I dont think I ever seen it. I use classic shell since windows 8 destroyed ehat good windows 7 did.

So forgive me for thinking ads is a new thing in 11

Apparently I just avoided them. Hmm.

Anyway I guess I will stick with the 3rd party options because MS is going the way I don't like.

Windows as a service.... No thanks. I will pay more to pay once and have it. I don't need an OS as service. That already sounds so wrong.

On 13/02/2022 at 19:11, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Crap. I dont think I ever seen it. I use classic shell since windows 9 destroyed ehat good windows 7 did.

So forgive me for thinking ads is a new thing in 11

Apparently I just avoided them. Hmm.

Anyway I guess I will stick with the 3rd party options because MS is going the way I don't like.

Windows as a service.... No thanks. I will pay more to pay once and have it. I don't need an OS as service. That already sounds so wrong.

While I agree with the general sentiment in your response, there are a couple of things I feel I should mention:

Windows 9 never existed. I suppose that's a typo and you meant to say Windows 8.

I don't think windows as a service means what you think it means. But I could be wrong.

:) 

On 13/02/2022 at 11:29, NFT_QUEEN said:

While I agree with the general sentiment in your response, there are a couple of things I feel I should mention:

Windows 9 never existed. I suppose that's a typo and you meant to say Windows 8.

I don't think windows as a service means what you think it means. But I could be wrong.

:) 

Ok.yes. typo.

Also. I don't want to pay subscription to operate my PC. That is nonsense.

And yes maybe I misunderstand.

Honestly I am ALWAYS open to be corrected and learn more. 

I would always chose to pay once to own over subscription

On 13/02/2022 at 19:35, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Ok.yes. typo.

Also. I don't want to pay subscription to operate my PC. That is nonsense.

I would always chose to pay once to own over subscription

Yeah, it does sound like you've misinterpreted what windows as a service means in regards to Win11. 

There's no subscription in Windows 11. You don't have to subscribe for or pay for the updates. Heck, I didn't even pay for Win11. I simply used my Win7 Ultimate key [which I got from the discontinued TechNet subscription ahahaha] and received Win 11 Pro. 

What you're describing applies to Microsoft 365, Windows 365, and Office 365.

On 13/02/2022 at 11:48, NFT_QUEEN said:

Yeah, it does sound like you've misinterpreted what windows as a service means in regards to Win11. 

There's no subscription in Windows 11. You don't have to subscribe for or pay for the updates. Heck, I didn't even pay for Win11. I simply used my Win7 Ultimate key [which I got from the discontinued TechNet subscription ahahaha] and received Win 11 Pro. 

What you're describing applies to Microsoft 365, Windows 365, and Office 365.

Wait until it trickles down to windows too... Maybe not yet but it is clearly going this way. Unfortunately.

Anyway. I Know most people don't like to pay bucks up front. But any service with monthly payments has to be Spotify or something similar.

For one owner of software I never pay a monthly due! That is just silly.

Office. The same. I would rather have a key for ever then subscription to a 'cheap' monthly

^

"Some people say 2+2=4, some people say 2+2=6. Personally, I reject such extreme views and take the reasonable moderate position that 2+2=5."

Hilarious signature! 😁

Long ago, a guy was quoted as saying, "2+2 can equal 4, 5, or 6. It all depends upon the energy required to make the computation." 🤪

Cheers!