There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Share Your Windows 11 Experience

Windows 11 Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Have you switched to Windows 11?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you switched to Windows 11, did you downgrade?

• Yes
    • No
    • I didn't switch
  3. 3. What is the main impediment for you using Windows 11?

• Hardware Compatibility
    • Software Compatibility
    • New User Interface
    • Hate Change
    • You never upgrade during the first 2 years of a new operating system
    • Increasing integration with cloud services
    • If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    • None of the above (specify below)

I wanted to love Windows 11, I was part of the insider program, however the new UI is simply unusable for me, and I don't like the idea of replacing the shell given compatibility could be broken at any time by an update. I will switch if / when the UI is improved.

Edited by cooky560
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 10:38, cooky560 said:

I wanted to love Windows 11, I was part of the insider program, however the new UI is simply unusable for me, and I don't like the idea of replacing the shell given compatibility could be broken at any time by an update. I will switch if / when the UI is improved.

Same here.

• 2 months later...

I had a really strange bug trying to setup virtual routers with pfsensein Hyper-V with Windows 11 . Opt1 would jack up everything after adding everything to lan1. When adding a 2nd virtual switch in Hyper-V would make all vms now inaccessible. The more you try to fix it and readd the settings the more the host got jacked.

I had to do a Netsh as my own internet died on my host when playing with the vlans in my lab even though they were internal??? I had to re-image my PC with Windows 10 to fix my internet issues. 

However, Windows 10 exhibited the same behavior with OPNSense so I dunno. It is crazy virtual networks do not work with Windows client side with hyper-V. I had 9 psuedo virtual adapters last I looked on the driver store. 

The joy of being a bug tester since Microsoft fired their QA department. I guess in the end both versions of Windows were impacted

On 13/02/2022 at 09:55, NFT_QUEEN said:

Agreed.

The Win8/Win10 start menu was absolutely the worst! [Frigging advertisements in the start menu, OMFG, burn it with fire!!!]

Win11 Start Menu is an upgrade in the right direction. 

I agree I like the UI on Windows 11 as a big improvement compared to WIndows 10. 5 mouse clicks to get the IP address in the horrible cell phone UI on a phone with a 60 year old non literate PC user is maddening! Windows 11 settings are 1000% improvement.

Windows 7 also was my favorite OS of all time. It was gorgeous and such an upgrade compared to Windows XP and loved the GPU accelerated desktop, fonts, timeline, aero, and stability. ... however, as an IT professional I needed a VM solution to pass my certs and learn new things. VMWare Workstation is aweful1 garbage and so is Virtualbox!  

I ended up with Windows 8.1 and purchased start8 which is owned by neowin.net's Stardock so I could use Hyper-V so I had to leave WIn 7 long ago. WIndows 10 has WSL too which is nice to run Linux apps even if the UI is meh. 

So far I see nothing appealing with WIndows 11. In future editions I am sure there will be more things like Windows 10 eventually had with WSL and terminal. 

Tried this weekend on my SP6.  Lasted two days.   Hated the android feel to the start menu and the inability to move the taskbar.  Bit what really killed it was no ability to swipe and see all open app with the keyboard detached.  Now back to Win 10 and happy.

Several of my PC's support it but only running it on a older i7 4th gen (insider build for testing) but I personally can't stand the interface just about everything takes more work to do on 11 as it did on 10. GUI is just way to annoying to use full time. 

On 08/05/2022 at 15:44, Dadwen said:

Several of my PC's support it but only running it on a older i7 4th gen (insider build for testing) but I personally can't stand the interface just about everything takes more work to do on 11 as it did on 10. GUI is just way to annoying to use full time. 

I found it exact opposite as Windows 10 UI was attrocious with a cell phone no a poorly designed cell phone bolted on with a schizophrenic interface which can't decide what is in the settings or control panel. Try getting an IP address from a wired connection wiht the new settings app under Windows 10. 5 hidden mouse clicks which makes troubleshooting my 73 year old mom frustrating.

Windows 11 the settings are all organized in one space. IP address no problem. Rename PC no problem. The center felt weird for 3 days but now I love it as I got used to it. I feel finally things are consistent again or heading in that direction now and is what I missed most from Windows 7. 

I installed Windows 11 on 2 unsupported laptops just to see if I could. All went just fine. Can't say as I dislike anything really. No issue with task bar or start menu.  I have to agree with some other posters though that Windows 11 isn't really anything more than a "prettier" Windows 10, and I haven't ever cared about the looks anyway. Just want stuff to work.

Have my back ups to Windows 10 all saved and ready to revert in the event MS decides I can't use 11 on these laptops. Definitely won't break my heart if I need to.

On 10/05/2022 at 14:17, sinetheo said:

I found it exact opposite as Windows 10 UI was attrocious with a cell phone no a poorly designed cell phone bolted on with a schizophrenic interface which can't decide what is in the settings or control panel. Try getting an IP address from a wired connection wiht the new settings app under Windows 10. 5 hidden mouse clicks which makes troubleshooting my 73 year old mom frustrating.

Windows 11 the settings are all organized in one space. IP address no problem. Rename PC no problem. The center felt weird for 3 days but now I love it as I got used to it. I feel finally things are consistent again or heading in that direction now and is what I missed most from Windows 7. 

I don't have to get my IP that often (when I do I guess out of habit I got to ipconfig) but I do use the right click context menu a lot and the new one is crap (have the registry hack on my insider computer) and the start menu is useless at least with 10 I could hide the stuff I didn't use and get to the all program list (when running something I don't have pinned to the task bar is the only time I use the start button so I'd rather it go right to the all program list and not have to click though the empty menus.  when I'm remoted into computers I hate having to scroll over to the start button for task-manger now instead of just going right to the bottom where I am an getting it (already went over with someone else all remote programs do no support pass though on hotkeys either) .   Still can't see what was wrong with one click to make one media player my default player and not every extension one by one (if you like that kind of thing you could have done that in 10 too.  granted I liked 7's better than 10 but I'll take 10 over 11's any day.

On 12/02/2022 at 18:27, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Hey all!

I didn't see a thread like this on Neowin so I thought I'd kick one off, mainly because I'm curious in what this community thinks about Windows 11 (versus the cesspool that is Reddit).

As the title says, share your experience! What do you like, what do you hate, what issues and pleasant surprises have you found?

I myself haven't used it so this thread will be a metric for me to decide whether to upgrade or not :).

I'm sure you all that have seen my post know I usually post in controversial threads, but that is not my intent for this one :D.

For some reason I don't like the looks on Windows 11. The default colors seem a little too bright. Also, right now, there is nothing I gain from switching over to 11. DirectStorage sounds and looks promising but it's not out yet.

• Like 1

The only thing stopping me from upgrading my main machine is the severely gimped taskbar & start menu. I could even live with the start menu changes, but the limitations of the taskbar would break my workflow. So if that never changes, neither will my primary OS.

• Like 1

I put it on a "unsupported" notebook and it runs fine. i5-4200u.  But I wont put it on my main machine nor the new desktop I am gonna build in a month or two until they update the taskbar. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 15:09, BoondockSaint said:

The only thing stopping me from upgrading my main machine is the severely gimped taskbar & start menu. I could even live with the start menu changes, but the limitations of the taskbar would break my workflow. So if that never changes, neither will my primary OS.

obviously we shouldn't have to, but using Start11 or StartAllBack isn't an option for you? They give back everything needed really.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 22:51, Brandon H said:

obviously we shouldn't have to, but using Start11 or StartAllBack isn't an option for you? They give back everything needed really.

I've tried both and they're great - and I don't mind paying for utilities that make life easier.

At the same time, Microsoft's reluctance to listen to the large number of calls for the taskbar to have its functionality reinstated shows how much their focus has changed. W11 was half baked - just look at how many of the "included" applications are only now getting a makeover. W10 wasn't great on day one, but I think it was a lot more coherent than W11 is many months after release.

W10 works very well for me so I will stick to that. If Microsoft keep staying to the "simple" approach, I will switch to Linux for work, and have Windows just for gaming.