There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Old Task Manager Is Back

I'm running build 22557.1 on the dev channel.

I upgraded like everyone else when it was released, and I initially got the new Task Manager like everyone else I guess. However, yesterday I launched it to check on resource usage and I noticed the old one was back.

This is weird as I have not received any other updates since. Anyone else experienced this? I'm curious.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-02-19 091847.jpg

• Like 1

• +Elі changed the title to Old Task Manager Is Back

Microsoft started working on Windows 12 already. Windows 11 is such garbage they are already replacing it. What a joke. Knowing Microsoft, they are going to even more alienate people with Windows 12.

On 21/02/2022 at 08:13, OldGuru said:

Microsoft started working on Windows 12 already. Windows 11 is such garbage they are already replacing it. What a joke. Knowing Microsoft, they are going to even more alienate people with Windows 12.

What?

On 21/02/2022 at 10:13, OldGuru said:

Another highly relevant and incredibly insightful post from OldGuru.

On 20/02/2022 at 21:13, OldGuru said:

Wow Really???

What about Windows 13?

Wait even better, please tell us about Windows 2099...

🤦‍♂️

On 19/02/2022 at 15:26, Ely said:

I'm running build 22557.1 on the dev channel.

I upgraded like everyone else when it was released, and I initially got the new Task Manager like everyone else I guess. However, yesterday I launched it to check on resource usage and I noticed the old one was back.

This is weird as I have not received any other updates since. Anyone else experienced this? I'm curious.

Thanks!

"The Microsoft Gave, and the Microsoft Hath Taken Away"

Hope y'all enjoying Microsoft's more "consistent" staggered experience with Windows 11 😛 Remember to keep your machines on for at least 6 hours at a time in order to properly receive updates too. 

On 20/02/2022 at 22:28, Steven P. said:

Hope y'all enjoying Microsoft's more "consistent" staggered experience with Windows 11 😛 Remember to keep your machines on for at least 6 hours at a time in order to properly receive updates too. 

It's obviously a bug that will get fixed.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2022 at 16:28, Steven P. said:

You know update files actually need to unpack and install right?  I mean it's not the same for every machine.

Aside from which they haven't offered all people on the same build the same experience for a while, I don't know what's going on here as I thought they'd stopped that.

On 21/02/2022 at 00:07, Chaos Mage said:

You know update files actually need to unpack and install right?  I mean it's not the same for every machine.

You are right, so why is it not possible to manually instigate the updates and have them happen immediately?

Anyway, Microsoft spent years telling us how updates would be smaller and seamless and now they are:

• staggered,
  • Core generally available Windows features or updates is not the same experience for all,
  • updates can fail if you don't have the machine on long enough,
  • updates seem to take longer and longer to even download and install (when executed manually from Windows Update). <-- this is the most annoying one
  • US only locked features is still a thing in 2022 ...

On 20/02/2022 at 17:39, Steven P. said:

You are right, so why is it not possible to manually instigate the updates and have them happen immediately?

Anyway, Microsoft spent years telling us how updates would be smaller and seamless and now they are:

• staggered,
  • Core generally available Windows features or updates is not the same experience for all,
  • updates can fail if you don't have the machine on long enough,
  • updates seem to take longer and longer to even download and install (when executed manually from Windows Update). <-- this is the most annoying one
  • US only locked features is still a thing in 2022 ...

I'm not disagreeing with you overall, though I thought Windows 11 has the Win10X code improvements making updates faster.  I don't know if it was or will be backported to 10.

Honestly, updating the machines is the only thing I still don't like about Windows, and probably never will.  But it usually doesn't take me more than ~20m per machine even on moms i5-6400T.

(As for insider builds functionality being wonky...probably always will be, don't look at me.)

Thank you all for your feedback.

Obviously it's a bug with this dev build, and it'll probably get fixed soon.

Thanks.

On 21/02/2022 at 02:43, OldGuru said:

TBH, speculation rumors are flying at rapid pace about Windows 12. Windows 11 is really dumpster fire.

Windows 12 min requirement:

Double TPM modules and iris scanner.

PS on topic: My Task Manager is still the new one after 2-3 days.

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/02/2022 at 02:17, d5aqoëp said:

TBH, speculation rumors are flying at rapid pace about Windows 12. Windows 11 is really dumpster fire.

Windows 12 min requirement:

Double TPM modules and iris scanner.

PS on topic: My Task Manager is still the new one after 2-3 days.

FAR better than windows 10s launch and many successive versions and should only need a little more work to easily surpass it overall, already in pretty good state.  "dumpster fire" is a bit of a stretch

I'd be surprised if this dev build isn't pretty close to a public release soon.

I was initially thinking of Task Manager design similar to Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 when I read about old task manager... I guess the current layout on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 11 21H2, can now be considered old since Microsoft is testing a new design...

Windows 12 already exists, although it is not based on Windows NT but just another Linux distribution...

Microsoft's Windows 12? Hopefully it will be the reincarnation of Windows 7 and under the hood improvements introduced since then...

• Facepalm 1

On 21/02/2022 at 12:49, spacelordmaster said:

Windows 12 is allegedly already on the way

https://windowsreport.com/windows-12-release-date/

All of these articles were based off a joke tweet from SwiftOnSecurity because these websites don't bother to do proper research, and now they have backtracked to "we believe it's on the way because some other dude claimed it is so". It is like how Trump claimed 6G is on the way, because it is the number after 5G. Uninformed and idiotic statements.

Such a joke these people, even Tom's Hardware reported it claiming Windows 12 would need "two TPMs" but at least they admitted their error.

BTW everyone, I was able to fix it and bring the new Task Manager back by simply installing the ViveTool here.  Extracting it into C:\Windows\System32.  Then performing the following commands in a terminal window as administrator:

vivetool addconfig 37204171 2
vivetool addconfig 8749962 2
vivetool addconfig 35908098 2

Hope this helps whoever has the problem.