Monitors lose signal after Ubuntu update...

Just installed Ubuntu, let it update, asks to restart the PC, then I get to signal to either of my monitors. Googled for a solution but it seems a problem as old as time and can't really get a good place to start... Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all a ton! Currently I have a fresh install of the OS and it's asking to be restarted, I haven't touched anything else.

try pressing shift at beginning. That should bring up a Grub menu. Try going to the second issue and see if another/previous kernel works better. Some kernel updates can break your system.

If that doesn't help, try adding nomodset to your system, and run off default drivers, not your nvidia/amd ones. Go into grub again, and hit 'e' to go into loader. After 'quiet' (usually in every distro) and after it write nomodset.

This could be a kernel or GPU driver update issue.

On 21/02/2022 at 13:28, Mindovermaster said:

try pressing shift at beginning. That should bring up a Grub menu. Try going to the second issue and see if another/previous kernel works better. Some kernel updates can break your system.

If that doesn't help, try adding nomodset to your system, and run off default drivers, not your nvidia/amd ones. Go into grub again, and hit 'e' to go into loader. After 'quiet' (usually in every distro) and after it write nomodset.

This could be a kernel or GPU driver update issue.

When should I be pressing shift? I've tried it before at restart but it doesn't seem to do anything, but maybe I'm not pressing it at the right time?

Some more info. I told it to wait off on installing any updates, restarted, same bug appears. Seems like if the monitors go to satndby mode is when the problem appears.

On 21/02/2022 at 13:35, Chernobylite said:

When should I be pressing shift? I've tried it before at restart but it doesn't seem to do anything, but maybe I'm not pressing it at the right time?

You should pressing shift many times before you get to the Ubuntu flash screen.

On 21/02/2022 at 14:29, Chernobylite said:

Tried to reinstall again but without installing third-party software to see if that would work and it did not.

That 3rd party stuff doesn't really do anything. 

On 21/02/2022 at 16:46, Chernobylite said:

Some more info. I told it to wait off on installing any updates, restarted, same bug appears. Seems like if the monitors go to satndby mode is when the problem appears.

I think you have a problem with your GFX card.. Can you show us what you have in your desktop? CPU, RAM, Motherboard, GPU, HDD/SSDs, etc.

On 21/02/2022 at 17:57, Mindovermaster said:

You should pressing shift many times before you get to the Ubuntu flash screen.

That 3rd party stuff doesn't really do anything. 

I think you have a problem with your GFX card.. Can you show us what you have in your desktop? CPU, RAM, Motherboard, GPU, HDD/SSDs, etc.

Tried and tried but it never worked...

Good to know.

Definitely not the GPU other then it being from Nvidia, it's a 2080 Super

More info! Tried to install Mint. Couldn't even get the live version working unless I put it in compatibility mode let along get it to work once installed. Also tried Debain with no luck either though Grub did come up but was the only thing that did. Check this out though, Fedora, no problems at all and it's working great. What's up with that?

On 22/02/2022 at 07:12, Chernobylite said:

Tried and tried but it never worked...

Good to know.

Definitely not the GPU other then it being from Nvidia, it's a 2080 Super

More info! Tried to install Mint. Couldn't even get the live version working unless I put it in compatibility mode let along get it to work once installed. Also tried Debain with no luck either though Grub did come up but was the only thing that did. Check this out though, Fedora, no problems at all and it's working great. What's up with that?

Do you have UEFI in your board? That might be the issue.

On 22/02/2022 at 10:16, Mindovermaster said:

Do you have UEFI in your board? That might be the issue.

Yeah, and secure boot and all that stuff that I forgot was on to keep Windows 11 happy. I'll try turning all that off and see what happens.

On 22/02/2022 at 15:02, Chernobylite said:

So funny story... I turned off UEFI and literally everything works fine now, so far anyway. Thanks Mindovermaster for all your help! 😁

surprised the live environment was even booting up if secure boot was still enabled.

glad that got it sorted for you.

On 22/02/2022 at 15:04, Brandon H said:

surprised the live environment was even booting up if secure boot was still enabled.

glad that got it sorted for you.

I just feel silly now, before I started all this I told myself to look into UEFI and secure boot then totally forgot. 🙄