Installing Optifine for Minecraft on Pop!_OS?

Trying to install Optifine for Minecraft on Pop!_OS but it's treating the file like an archive, I installed OpenJDK and have the Optifine file set to "Allow executing file as program" checked but it still tries to open it like it's an archived file (I know it kind of technically is...). Any help with be appreciated!

Here's an easier way. I found this to be easier.

Copy the full name of the Optifine file. Go to rename and copy the WHOLE thing.

Go into terminal. Go to your download folder, or wherever you saved it.

type java -jar optifine.jar (whatever your file name is, replace optifine.jar)

This will bring up the prompt to install it.

I did this several times, after the dang thing won't open, even if I set it to an executable. :angry:

On 23/02/2022 at 15:21, Mindovermaster said:

Here's an easier way. I found this to be easier.

Copy the full name of the Optifine file. Go to rename and copy the WHOLE thing.

Go into terminal. Go to your download folder, or wherever you saved it.

type java -jar optifine.jar (whatever your file name is, replace optifine.jar)

This will bring up the prompt to install it.

I did this several times, after the dang thing won't open, even if I set it to an executable. :angry:

Not sure why but it didn't work, still tried to open it like an archive... Pretty sure Java is installed and working. Here's a screenshot if it helps...

Screenshot from 2022-02-23 15-46-52.png

Ugh, I haven't used OpenJDK in awhile. It has a different "java -jar" wording. Let me look it up. I'll edit this when i see it.

@Brandon Hcan you help plz? There's something I'm missing, I know it..

Oh, oh, oh, oh.. DO NOT use version 17. Try uninstalling that and use version 11..

Edited by Mindovermaster

On 23/02/2022 at 16:43, Mindovermaster said:

Ugh, I haven't used OpenJDK in awhile. It has a different "java -jar" wording. Let me look it up. I'll edit this when i see it.

@Brandon Hcan you help plz? There's something I'm missing, I know it..

Oh, oh, oh, oh.. DO NOT use version 17. Try uninstalling that and use version 11..

Didn't work, same error... How easy is it to just install Oracle's version? I've been seeing people complaining about OpenJDK's version.

OH! I totally removed OpenJDK and followed this guide to reinstall it, did the java -jar and it worked! But I don't know where Minecraft installed to because it's not in the usual spot Optifine looks at...

Edited by Chernobylite

On 23/02/2022 at 17:30, Chernobylite said:

Didn't work, same error... How easy is it to just install Oracle's version? I've been seeing people complaining about OpenJDK's version.

I get this:

optifine.thumb.png.65c2da99f75c422b48854356e5369fd8.png

I have NO idea what you are doing different..

Oh my god I totally got it by removing the Flatpak version and installing a version launcher through Lutris. Thanks again Mindovermaster for working with me this whole time! Are you on any other Linux communities?

Sadly, no. All Linux communities I have been in are too toxic. Like the Arch forums "Did you read the Wiki?" No solid answer. I never got into the Manjaro/Endeavour forums. As they run the same forum software. And everything is too wide spanned out, I hate it..

I know enough Linux to get by. I'm no pro. All I ever do is look up things. You have to know cue things to be able to figure out something.

I went into the Arch world BLIND after using Debian/Ubuntu/Mint for ages. And I'm having the time of my life.

On 23/02/2022 at 18:53, Mindovermaster said:

Sadly, no. All Linux communities I have been in are too toxic. Like the Arch forums "Did you read the Wiki?" No solid answer. I never got into the Manjaro/Endeavour forums. As they run the same forum software. And everything is too wide spanned out, I hate it..

I know enough Linux to get by. I'm no pro. All I ever do is look up things. You have to know cue things to be able to figure out something.

I went into the Arch world BLIND after using Debian/Ubuntu/Mint for ages. And I'm having the time of my life.

That's to bad, I feel like the Linux section here isn't as popular as it used to be...

It's funny, I was actually looking at EndeavourOS but I think I'm happy with where I'm at for the time being anyway. 😁

Yeah, this whole site is down compared what it used to be. I keep around HardWare Hangout, Networking, and Linux forums. I only reply to something if I know as you saw.

I never turn down people that use a different distro. It's to everyone's likings. Throughout all of Linux, from Arch to Debian, to SUSE, to Fedora, everyone has a favorite.

We (me and a few people here) just help with about any Linux issue.

Funny thing, in another site, where I was totally new to Linux, I actually solved an issue in the Linux area. Even I was suprised. Someone wanted to save a file in /something/other/, but he was using /something/other, which wasn't pointing at a folder, it was pointing to a file. And he went.. Oh.. yeah, you're right..

On 23/02/2022 at 20:46, Mindovermaster said:

Funny thing, in another site, where I was totally new to Linux, I actually solved an issue in the Linux area. Even I was suprised. Someone wanted to save a file in /something/other/, but he was using /something/other, which wasn't pointing at a folder, it was pointing to a file. And he went.. Oh.. yeah, you're right..

Nice 😁