There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! ¬∑ Register here

Here we go again....AMD confirms Windows 11 drivers mess with Ryzen - Again!

On 09/04/2022 at 07:34, Mindovermaster said:

It's not AMD's fault, it's Microsoft's..

Do you know something AMD doesn't?

AMD has confirmed to Tom's Hardware that a bug in its GPU driver is, in fact, changing Ryzen CPU settings in the BIOS without permission. This condition has been shown to auto-overclock Ryzen CPUs without the user's knowledge.

"We are aware of an issue in the AMD software suite that is adjusting certain AMD processor settings for some users.¬†We are investigating the issue and we‚Äôll share more information as soon as we‚Äôre able." ‚ÄĒ AMD representative to Tom's Hardware.

Tom's Hardware

I'm not finding anything saying this impacts the minimal install?

Hell I can't even figure out why anyone uses the full install.

Still weird though.

I tried Windows 11 for a month and I just couldn’t deal with its constant issues and unsatisfactory performance when compared to Windows 10, so back to 10 until 11 is mature enough to deserve the crown on my hard drive.

Security related issues aside, this makes a good case for why an OS shouldn't be allowed to interact with BIOS or at least a mobo level write protect mechansim. 

On 12/04/2022 at 04:22, JustGeorge said:

Security related issues aside, this makes a good case for why an OS shouldn't be allowed to interact with BIOS or at least a mobo level write protect mechansim. 

Most people don't even put an admin password on their UEFI/BIOS.  Pretending people are even going to be concerned about things like this is futile.

On 12/04/2022 at 17:37, Chaos Mage said:

Most people don't even put an admin password on their UEFI/BIOS.  Pretending people are even going to be concerned about things like this is futile.

I think most people that build their own PCs would care. I know thats no where near the majority, but helpful nonetheless. It should be standard on any business class hardware.