What type of USB cable is this?

that looks like micro-usb

• Like 3

Yeah, like Brandon said, it's a Mini-USB. Used it alot on my Pi Zero..

On 12/05/2022 at 14:28, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, like Brandon said, it's a Mini-USB. Used it alot on my Pi Zero..

assuming typo but just want to clarify; is micro, not mini. mini is what the PS3 and Wii U pro controllers and such older devices used

L8950515-01.jpg

On 12/05/2022 at 15:35, Brandon H said:

assuming typo but just want to clarify; is micro, not mini. mini is what the PS3 and Wii U pro controllers and such older devices used

L8950515-01.jpg

Yeah, they are very similar, though..

• Facepalm 3

On 12/05/2022 at 15:44, Mindovermaster said:

No, they aren't lol They are a completely different shape. USB C and Micro both have serious face, Mini USB has Gapping mouth face

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2022 at 16:44, Mindovermaster said:

My goodness, I hope none of you are in the tech field.

On 12/05/2022 at 15:47, warwagon said:

No, they aren't lol They are a completely different shape. I say .. USB C and Micro both have serious face, Mini USB has Gapping mouth face

Micro and Mini have a seperate "shape" yes, but unless you have a maginfying glass, you really cant tell.

Everything is USB-C now, anyway.. lol.

On 12/05/2022 at 16:07, Mindovermaster said:

Micro and Mini have a seperate "shape" yes, but unless you have a maginfying glass, you really cant tell.

No, you do not need a magnifying glass to tell the difference between mini-USB and micro USB even my blind ass can see the difference 🤣

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2022 at 16:07, Mindovermaster said:

The better way to tell is that one fits and one doesn't. :) 

You'd have to have pretty bad vision to not see the difference though.  The Mini USB connector is almost twice as thick as the Micro USB connector.

• Like 3

On 12/05/2022 at 16:15, Astra.Xtreme said:

You'd have to have pretty bad vision to not see the difference though.  The Mini USB connector is almost twice as thick as the Micro USB connector.

One is a small Ovalish type shape the other one is practically rectangular. I have never EVER confused the two when looking for a cable.

• Like 2

On 12/05/2022 at 16:15, Astra.Xtreme said:

To note that, my grandpa didn't know the difference between USB and HDMI.. But, he had bad sight..

On 12/05/2022 at 16:48, Mindovermaster said:

To note that, my grandpa didn't know the difference between USB and HDMI.. But, he had bad sight..

Yes, I give old people a pass 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/05/2022 at 17:59, warwagon said:

Yes, I give old people a pass 🤣

Good, do I get a pass then? 😛 I am going to send my wife that image that posted showing the different types of USB connections!

On 13/05/2022 at 16:36, jnelsoninjax said:

Good, do I get a pass then? 😛 I am going to send my wife that image that posted showing the different types of USB connections!

No 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/05/2022 at 23:36, jnelsoninjax said:

I am going to send my wife that image that posted showing the different types of USB connections!

There's one of them that you may also find around missing in that picture, the micro B for 3.0. I'll post a picture below from Wikipedia which also illustrates the backward compatibility between USB 2.0 type micro B cables and USB 3.0 type micro B receptacles. It also applies for regular type Bs by the way, you could use a USB 2.0 type B cable with a USB 3.0 type B device (but at USB 2.0 speeds); that's why the type Bs look odd at first glance:

USB_Micro-B_USB_2.0_vs_USB_Micro-B_Super

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2022 at 17:35, aphanic said:

There's one of them that you may also find around missing in that picture, the micro B for 3.0. I'll post a picture below from Wikipedia which also illustrates the backward compatibility between USB 2.0 type micro B cables and USB 3.0 type micro B receptacles. It also applies for regular type Bs by the way, you could use a USB 2.0 type B cable with a USB 3.0 type B device (but at USB 2.0 speeds); that's why the type Bs look odd at first glance:

USB_Micro-B_USB_2.0_vs_USB_Micro-B_Super

Ya blew my mind years ago when I found out you could plug in Micro USB into the left side of that port

On 12/05/2022 at 14:07, Mindovermaster said:

You cannot be serious. They are immediately identifiable as different.

• Like 2

Maybe he's thinking of mini-a and micro-a?

mini-usb-1.jpg.4b32d8f039e5164b012c4c25a0af7e0c.jpgmicro-usb-vs-usb-c-1.jpg.397e221a871543c33861cbae4b2f25b1.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 14:07, Mindovermaster said:

Just quit digging the hole already...

• Haha 2

On 12/05/2022 at 15:35, Brandon H said:

Don't forget Chinese junk.. for some reason I've seen them use Mini USB too.

• Like 2

On 13/05/2022 at 23:54, Matthew S. said:

Maybe he's thinking of mini-a and micro-a?

mini-usb-1.jpg.4b32d8f039e5164b012c4c25a0af7e0c.jpgmicro-usb-vs-usb-c-1.jpg.397e221a871543c33861cbae4b2f25b1.jpg

oh wow, I don't think I've ever seen the -A type variations in the wild; I forgot they were even a real thing