When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

How to create a shortcut to open Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 11

It was recently discovered that you can still open Internet Explorer in Windows 11 by opening up Internet Options.

Now that I knew IE 11 was alive and well in Windows 11, I wanted to figure out a way to create a shortcut to also open it up. So, I launched Process Monitor and Internet Explorer 11 from Internet Options. Then, I filtered the data to just show me iexplore.exe.

Turns out, the command line that was being issued was "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -Embedding, as can be seen in the screenshot below:

IE process monitor

By pasting that in the run box, iexplore.exe did show up in task manager, but that was about it, no GUI appeared. So I thought, “what if I put something in front of the -embedding?”

So I tried iexplore yahoo -embedding

That successfully launched Internet Explorer and brought me to a Bing search page for Yahoo.

IE11

No matter what I put in front of -embedding I couldn't actually get it to load into a webpage on launch other than a page not found or a Bing search.

Using what we now know, we can create a shortcut using "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" yahoo -embedding

You can put whatever you want before the -embedding.

IE11 shorcut

You now have a shortcut again for Internet Explorer! For how long, nobody knows.

I hope it should go without saying that you really shouldn't use this for your day-to-day browser, but it was a fun challenge.

Report a problem with article
The Rufus app running in Windows 11
Next Article

Rufus 3.20 is out with automatic local account creation, and more for Windows 11

The Microsoft Teams client running on Apple Mac
Previous Article

Microsoft Teams now runs natively on Apple Silicon, rolling out generally