Intel's Clear Linux OS is Lightning...and I Mean Lightning Fast.

I have a laptop that I used as a guinea pig to test different Linux Distros so I decided to give Clear Linux OS a shot after reading so many good things about it and looking at benchmarks compared to the rest of the distros out there and let me tell you, those reports are not lying. This distro is lightning fast. My Intel i5 guinea pig loves it. I am loving it.

https://clearlinux.org/

Screenshot from 2022-08-18 12-05-12.png

Beautiful, is it Gnome based?  That looks like Gnome.

PS: Never mind, yeah, it s Gnome, that's nice, it's my favorite desktop environment.

• Like 2

Look like an interesting distro with the stateless concept and delta updates.

Also nice to see I'm not the only person in the world who uses Edge on Linux 😅

• Like 2

On 18/08/2022 at 08:17, Elі said:

Beautiful, is it Gnome based?  That looks like Gnome.

PS: Never mind, yeah, it s Gnome, that's nice, it's my favorite desktop environment.

Yes sir it is very nice and yes it is Gnome 42. Here's another screenshot with the Sweet Theme and Icons. Finally got it installed. What a pain it was. Well worth it though.

full.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I like the idea of a company like Intel putting out a polished distro that's reliable. What would keep me from running it, though is Intel's legal dept. spoiling the fun cause codecs and the like. Also, that version of Gnome is quite old now. Guess it doesn't matter if the DE is doing what you want it to do, but I enjoy some bling on the desktop occasionally.

On 05/09/2023 at 17:55, JustGeorge said:

I like the idea of a company like Intel putting out a polished distro that's reliable. What would keep me from running it, though is Intel's legal dept. spoiling the fun cause codecs and the like. Also, that version of Gnome is quite old now. Guess it doesn't matter if the DE is doing what you want it to do, but I enjoy some bling on the desktop occasionally.

You can get relatively close to Clear performance with CachyOS. Last benchmarks I saw, they were trading blows. 

• Like 1

Now if only Intel had the talent to build an Explorer shell of Windows 95/98/NT4/Me/2000/XP/Vista/7 and a case insensitive but case preserving file system like NTFS, we could ditch Windows

• Like 3

On 06/09/2023 at 10:06, MS Bob 11 said:

Now if only Intel had the talent to build an Explorer shell of Windows 95/98/NT4/Me/2000/XP/Vista/7 and a case insensitive but case preserving file system like NTFS, we could ditch Windows

Who do you mean by we? Regular users? That wouldn't happen and certainly not paying for that. Why would Intel put the resources into that? You would just be switching out one big tech company for another big tech company anyway.

I already use Linux on my main machine and even play a couple of Windows games on it. What is the advantage to this?

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

On 05/09/2023 at 20:55, JustGeorge said:

You missed the original post is a little over a year old. Clear Linux is a rolling release and now uses GNOME 44. 

On 06/09/2023 at 10:47, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Who do you mean by we? Regular users? That wouldn't happen and certainly not paying for that. Why would Intel put the resources into that? You would just be switching out one big tech company for another big tech company anyway.

I already use Linux on my main machine and even play a couple of Windows games on it. What is the advantage to this?

This could be totally incorrect, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ext4 and most Linux file systems are case sensitive. This means that your file paths and filenames need to be case correct when searching, changing directories and using terminal. forexample, you have a file named "Poop.sh" and you try to search for it or execute it as "poop.sh". It will not find or run it cause you didn't capitalize the "P".  You can also create "Corn.sh" and "corn.sh" in the same directory and ext4 is totally fine with that. NTFS would say "Hol up!".

On 06/09/2023 at 11:00, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

You missed the original post is a little over a year old. Clear Linux is a rolling release and now uses GNOME 44. 

Sorry. It appeared on the front page under Community Activity, so I assumed it was recent. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/09/2023 at 20:46, JustGeorge said:

This could be totally incorrect, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ext4 and most Linux file systems are case sensitive. This means that your file paths and filenames need to be case correct when searching, changing directories and using terminal. forexample, you have a file named "Poop.sh" and you try to search for it or execute it as "poop.sh". It will not find or run it cause you didn't capitalize the "P".  You can also create "Corn.sh" and "corn.sh" in the same directory and ext4 is totally fine with that. NTFS would say "Hol up!".

True.. It depends upon the distro, and whatever DE/WM you are using. I saw some do "downloads" and "Downloads" There's a difference.

Also, per the latest kernals, EXT4 has become as much better format than NTFS ever was.

On 06/09/2023 at 19:36, MS Bob 11 said:

Windows Explorer shell on Linux will make you switch to Linux? haha.

On 18/08/2022 at 09:35, spacelordmaster said:

Yes sir it is very nice and yes it is Gnome 42. Here's another screenshot with the Sweet Theme and Icons. Finally got it installed. What a pain it was. Well worth it though.

full.png

Why was it a pain to install? Looks cool and all, but if it's a pain to install, that turns me off.

On 07/09/2023 at 09:17, margrave said:

I can't get it to run in vmware workstation or virtualbox.

X won't run. just a mouse cursor that keeps changing from white to black to white to black.....etc

Ars had an issue with VMs, but it was a few years ago. Turns out the boot process on installer works for MBR, but the OS itself needs UEFI. Make sure you aren't running the VM in MBR mode.

I tried this, and same ressults.

Boots to where xwindows should start, and it's just a mouse cursor that keeps changing colors from white to black over and over again.

And just sits there.

---UPDATE---

I  got it working!

Had to disable the UEFI

AND

Had to enable 3D on the video card!

Thanks all!

Edited by margrave

On 07/09/2023 at 07:05, Mindovermaster said:

EXT4 has become as much better format than NTFS ever was.

I don't mean to start any flame war, but, what is it that makes Ext4 much better than NTFS?

On Linux Ext4 is pretty much the one I use, I don't have needs that require Btrfs or ZFS for example, but NTFS is just fine for me too on Windows and for cross Linux/Windows scenarios, even ACLs work fine.

• Like 2

On 07/09/2023 at 13:35, KaoDome said:

I don't mean to start any flame war, but, what is it that makes Ext4 much better than NTFS?

On Linux Ext4 is pretty much the one I use, I don't have needs that require Btrfs or ZFS for example, but NTFS is just fine for me too on Windows and for cross Linux/Windows scenarios, even ACLs work fine.

Read this: https://programmathically.com/ext4-vs-ntfs-a-comparison-of-two-popular-file-systems/

On 07/09/2023 at 15:34, Mindovermaster said:

good article. one this I'd argue against the article though is its focus on compatibility. They mention how ext4 isn't compatible to mount in windows, but there is an open-source drive available if anyone ever needs it.

https://github.com/matt-wu/Ext3Fsd

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 13:51, Brandon H said:

good article. one this I'd argue against the article though is its focus on compatibility. They mention how ext4 isn't compatible to mount in windows, but there is an open-source drive available if anyone ever needs it.

https://github.com/matt-wu/Ext3Fsd

Terrible article. I stopped reading once it contradicted itself. That’s ignoring that it used a lot of text to say very little in the way of specifics. 

Contradiction:

On the other hand, NTFS does not provide any encryption options but instead relies on Windows’ built-in user authentication system to protect its contents from unauthorized access attempts.”

Then further down:

For instance, both offer encryption capabilities (EFS in Windows/NTFS and eCryptfs in Linux/Ext4); however, only NTFS provides built-in support for user authentication.”

👎

• Like 3

On 07/09/2023 at 01:05, Mindovermaster said:

True.. It depends upon the distro, and whatever DE/WM you are using. I saw some do "downloads" and "Downloads" There's a difference.

Also, per the latest kernals, EXT4 has become as much better format than NTFS ever was.

I have noticed in recent past that ext4 doesn't seem very tolerant of hard shutdowns/reboots. Say the power goes out. You power up, and your OS no longer boots unless you run tools to fix the FS. Had some kids at my workplace kill power to some Mint desktops and had this happen. Usually NTFS just recovers and trucks along. 

On 07/09/2023 at 19:54, JustGeorge said:

I have noticed in recent past that ext4 doesn't seem very tolerant of hard shutdowns/reboots. Say the power goes out. You power up, and your OS no longer boots unless you run tools to fix the FS. Had some kids at my workplace kill power to some Mint desktops and had this happen. Usually NTFS just recovers and trucks along. 

Where have you heard this? This computer alone, running EXT4, for a good 6 months, has lost power quite a few times, and I had no issue with it booting..

I think the kids tried to do something else..

On 07/09/2023 at 21:37, Mindovermaster said:

Where have you heard this? This computer alone, running EXT4, for a good 6 months, has lost power quite a few times, and I had no issue with it booting..

I think the kids tried to do something else..

Haven't heard it anywhere. Experienced it on 4 different Mint installations over a couple years time. Kids didn't have sudo privs. They could basically login and use installed apps. 

Maybe they repeatedly yanked the power and that caused the corruption, but there were also Windows machines in the same location and those never failed to boot, in spite of the abuse. 

Still, I'd have all the machines run Mint, if I could. The ones that were, were repurposed older machines that Windows would choke on. 

• Like 2