HP Elitebook 8570p 'FN' key not working

While I wait to fix my desktop, I am using this old laptop and I bought a VGA to HDMI cable to display the output onto one of my monitors, however, according the manual online, I need to press FN+F4 twice to change the output to the external display. However, pressing it does not do anything, and even pressing FN+ other F keys yields no results either. I searched for the exact model and FN key not working, and ran across a YouTube video for the 8560p which pointed me to hotkey drivers, which when I installed them and rebooted the machine, I got an instant BSOD, and had to reset windows to solve the issue. Does anyone have any experience with HP Elitebooks and/or have any thoughts on what to check? I looked through the BIOS as another post suggested, however, there was no option that I could see to enable/disable the keys.

Doesn't HP have drivers for that? Did you check there?

Never trust 3rd party software, they can cause you more problems than it fixes. Even "This works great!" is not the same for everyone. Or every Windows version.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2022 at 17:55, Mindovermaster said:

Doesn't HP have drivers for that? Did you check there?

Never trust 3rd party software, they can cause you more problems than it fixes. Even "This works great!" is not the same for everyone. Or every Windows version.

It was from HP, and I can not find anything directly related to this specific model.

On 22/08/2022 at 15:47, jnelsoninjax said:

and ran across a YouTube video for the 8560p which pointed me to hotkey drivers

That did not mean they came directly from HP..

On 22/08/2022 at 18:47, Mindovermaster said:

That did not mean they came directly from HP..

The link was to HP

Care to provide this YT video you saw?

Nevermind, I saw it. That driver is supported only up to Win 7. This may not work on 8/10/11.

Was last updated in 2012..

Edited by Mindovermaster

On 22/08/2022 at 19:34, Mindovermaster said:

Care to provide this YT video you saw?

Nevermind, I saw it. That driver is supported only up to Win 7. This may not work on 8/10/11.

Was last updated in 2012..

Like I said it caused a BSOD upon reboot

OK, let's ask this question: What Windows version do you have on that laptop?

Hello,

The Hewlett-Packard Elitebook 8570p is a 2012-era laptop with a third-generation Intel Core CPU.

Given the fact that this is a ten year old system, rather than attempt to troubleshoot it through a decade's worth of issues, I would suggest performing a clean install of Windows onto it, and starting from there.  Despite the age, it should run Windows 10 decently, especially if it has a SSD.

I would suggest wiping the internal drive, installing Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, Once that is complete, install the Hewlett-Packard Support Assistant onto the laptop, and let it install all of the drivers and machine-specific software needed to use the laptop's features under Windows 10.

You can also try pressing the Windows+P key combo to bring up the multi-monitor projection assistant.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

On 22/08/2022 at 20:23, Mindovermaster said:

OK, let's ask this question: What Windows version do you have on that laptop?

Win 10 X64

On 22/08/2022 at 21:09, goretsky said:

Hello,

The Hewlett-Packard Elitebook 8570p is a 2012-era laptop with a third-generation Intel Core CPU.

Given the fact that this is a ten year old system, rather than attempt to troubleshoot it through a decade's worth of issues, I would suggest performing a clean install of Windows onto it, and starting from there.  Despite the age, it should run Windows 10 decently, especially if it has a SSD.

I would suggest wiping the internal drive, installing Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, Once that is complete, install the Hewlett-Packard Support Assistant onto the laptop, and let it install all of the drivers and machine-specific software needed to use the laptop's features under Windows 10.

You can also try pressing the Windows+P key combo to bring up the multi-monitor projection assistant.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I was aware of the age, and it is running Win 10 with no issues, I will try the Win+P and see if that helps.

Edit: Win+P did not display on the attached monitor

On 23/08/2022 at 18:19, jnelsoninjax said:

Win 10 X64

I was aware of the age, and it is running Win 10 with no issues, I will try the Win+P and see if that helps.

Edit: Win+P did not display on the attached monitor

Have you tried Shift + FN

On 23/08/2022 at 18:19, jnelsoninjax said:

Win 10 X64

BIG mistake. The driver is only meant for XP, Vista, and 7. It isn't made for Win 10.

On 24/08/2022 at 01:43, Mindovermaster said:

BIG mistake. The driver is only meant for XP, Vista, and 7. It isn't made for Win 10.

I know that now, but at the time, it did not say that when I went to download it.

So I just happened to be picking up a USB cable that a certain group of kitties knocked off my desk, and discovered that the laptop has a DP port on it, so I grabbed one of my monitors DP cable and plugged it in, and I am now using the larger screen, after using Win+P to switch to second display only!