Failed to read from sector when cloning. Should I continue ?

Hi,
I am still using Win-7.

I have a HDD where I have saved Win-7 with all settings & Updates till 2020.

I use this HDD in case if I need to install win-7 in another drive by just cloning new HDD from this HDD.

I was cloning a new SSD from this HDD to install win-7 from this old HDD but I got a message halfway when cloning as follows :

" Failed to read from sector " 100 003 656 " from HDD-1. Try to repeat but if error persist use chkdsk.
Direct R/W operation has failed. ( Ox 590001 ).
Input/Output error ( OXFFF1 ) "

It gave me a choice to try again or ignore or ignore all.

I selected " Ignore all " and it installed Win-7 on new SSD.

Windows-7 is working fine on New SSD.

Should I continue to use it & install all my apps & data on this newly cloned SSD or run chkdsk on original HDD ? & then install Win-7 again ?

Couple of my important apps seems to be working fine on this new SSD.

Please advice.

Thank You.

The HDD has bad sectors and that is an indicator it is on its way out (dying). You should run chkdsk /r which will check for bad sectors on the disk and attempt to recover any readable information.

You should consider rebuilding your backup source clone disk from a cheap 120gb SSD which will last longer and speed up operations when you need to reset again in the future.

You needn't worry about Windows 7 on the new SSD if it is working and your apps work, if you want to be totally sure you can run sfc /scannow on the Windows 7 system to verify the integrity of the system files.

chkdsk /r will take a long time, depending on the size of the disk, so ensure you will be able to do it without it interrupting, like overnight or something.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2022 at 13:51, Steven P. said:

You should consider rebuilding your backup source clone disk from a cheap 120gb SSD which will last longer and speed up operations when you need to reset again in the future.

Great advice.

Shouldn't I clone the new 120GB SSD first & then fool around with the HDD which has problems ? That way if something goes wrong with HDD, I have a back up SSD with Win-7 ?

And the new clone 120 SSD will have the same bad sectors too ? 

On 04/09/2022 at 13:51, Steven P. said:

You needn't worry about Windows 7 on the new SSD if it is working and your apps work, if you want to be totally sure you can run sfc /scannow on the Windows 7 system to verify the integrity of the system file

How long will sfc/scannow take with OS Partition of 160 GB ?

On 05/09/2022 at 10:37, dan99t said:

Great advice.

Shouldn't I clone the new 120GB SSD first & then fool around with the HDD which has problems ? That way if something goes wrong with HDD, I have a back up SSD with Win-7 ?

And the new clone 120 SSD will have the same bad sectors too ? 

chkdsk performs repairs, so it will move data that is becoming unreadable on that part of the disk. As you said yourself the clone operation already gave a read error, so let chkdsk try and restore that data. chkdsk will move the data to another sector and that bad sector will be marked bad so it isn't used again. 

On 05/09/2022 at 10:40, dan99t said:

How long will sfc/scannow take with OS Partition of 160 GB ?

I couldn't tell you, because it depends on a number of things but it shouldn't take hours, it is far quicker than chkdsk.

Hello,

Just to check, have you looked into setting up a drive with Windows 10 Pro, just so that you can start familiarizing yourself with that new operating system when you purchase your next system? 

Also, for that system, when going through the purchase process, you may want to look into getting it with "Windows 11 Pro, downgraded to Windows 10 Pro using Downgrade Rights" (or whatever term the system manufacturer uses).  This could help ensure you get a system that works with your display resolution and zoomed text requirements running Windows 10 Pro.  Then, if/when you feel comfortable doing so, you can upgrade it to a licensed copy of Windows 11 Pro.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky