Gen 3 NVME recommendation

With older gen 3 I would say all the brands would be similar speedwise and I would pick reliability and endurance rating drives as some of the older ones can develop bad cells or have flakey controlers. Avoid the low end Intel ones and Sansdisks.

• Like 1

Inland, which is MicroCenter's house brand, has been solid for me.  Someone said they are rebranded Kingston.  We have probably 600-700 Kingston drives and only a few failures over 4 years or so.  I like Samsung but prices are ridiculous.  Although lately there have been good deals. 

• Like 3

On 09/09/2022 at 15:39, Shane Farmer said:

Inland, which is MicroCenter's house brand, has been solid for me.  Someone said they are rebranded Kingston.  We have probably 600-700 Kingston drives and only a few failures over 4 years or so.  I like Samsung but prices are ridiculous.  Although lately there have been good deals. 

I have seen the 970 evo plus 1TB for around £108 here in the UK on amazon, I was hoping to find something around 70-80 mark

On 09/09/2022 at 07:39, Shane Farmer said:

This is anecdotal, but a Kingston SSD is the only SSD I have ever had fail on me.

On 09/09/2022 at 09:42, sikhwarrior said:

I have seen the 970 evo plus 1TB for around £108 here in the UK on amazon, I was hoping to find something around 70-80 mark

970 Evos are good as well.

Heck, the 960 series was too. The problem with those is finding them sold and at a reasonable price.

Take a look at Crucial if you want cost savings.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-500GB-PCIe-NAND-3500MB/dp/B0B25LZGGW/

edit: ^ crucial is always a good option for affordable decent parts for use cases like yours OP ^

a couple of my PCs are running off of the WD Blue SN570 https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn570-nvme-ssd and they've been great

you can also never go wrong with Samsung EVOs

On 09/09/2022 at 09:31, Brandon H said:

edit: ^ crucial is always a good option for affordable decent parts for use cases like yours OP ^

a couple of my PCs are running off of the WD Blue SN570 https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn570-nvme-ssd and they've been great

you can also never go wrong with Samsung EVOs

I would have recommended WD, but I am at a 50% hit/miss ratio on that one. The first one I bought ( was a blue) it would sometimes show on boot and sometimes not. The second (a gen4 black) is perfectly fine.

On 09/09/2022 at 12:14, adrynalyne said:

I would have recommended WD, but I am at a 50% hit/miss ratio on that one. The first one I bought ( was a blue) it would sometimes show on boot and sometimes not. The second (a gen4 black) is perfectly fine.

:rolleyes:

I never had a problem with WD. But, everyone has their own opinion.

Blacks have always been top notch.

Have a 500GB NvMe 970 Evo Plus as Boot Drive in my Gaming system,  No problems whatssoever with it thus far, and machine used typically 14-16 hours active,  then idle for maintenance/or doing backup tasks, or something, and then resume normal gaming and stuff soon as i wake up typically

On 09/09/2022 at 12:24, Mindovermaster said:

:rolleyes:

I never had a problem with WD. But, everyone has their own opinion.

Blacks have always been top notch.

I got one of the originals.  Needed a heatsink bad.  Otherwise, a good drive and still in use.

Hello,

I have had good results with the following drives:

• Intel 660p series (this is an older, slower drive)

• Kioxia (formerly Toshiba) XG6 SSD

• MyDigitalSSD BPX 80mm (this is an older, slower drive)

• Sabrent SB-ROCKET (this is an older drive)

• Samsung 950 PRO

• Samsung 970 EVO Plus
  • Samsung 970 PRO
  • Samsung 980 PRO (this is a PCIe Gen 4.0 drive, but works fine in a 3.0 slot)
  • Seagate FireCuda 510
  • SK hynix Gold P31
  • Western Digital WD Black SN750
  • Western Digital WD Black NVMe SSD (this is an older drive)
  • Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3