Follow topic enabled by default?

Can we please go back to the old way where "Follow Topic" is not enabled by default on every single post? I do not want to follow every post I make.

These seems counter productive... Facebook starting doing something like this and I practically ignore my notifications from them. 

I want my notifications to be related to my direct interactions, i.e someone replied to or liked something I said. I don't care if anyone else is posting, I read what I want to read and don't need a reminder unless I directly follow a topic on my own. 

Glad we can disable that here still, on sites like Facebook, it's just constant noise.

On 22/09/2022 at 11:00, Nick H. said:

Yep, this happened after the notification settings were reset. You can go into your account settings>notification settings and select the following options:

image.thumb.png.4a6e5baa31569c74890e6976a1f284bb.png

I know how to stop them, I just don't want them to be enabled by default, is that something @DaveLeggor @Steven P.can fix?

On 22/09/2022 at 21:09, jnelsoninjax said:

I know how to stop them, I just don't want them to be enabled by default, is that something @DaveLeggor @Steven P.can fix?

You want me to change something globally for everyone, for something you can change for yourself? Really, pinging me for this? Lol.

On 22/09/2022 at 15:27, Steven P. said:

You want me to change something globally for everyone, for something you can change for yourself? Really, pinging me for this? Lol.

Uh, I'm not the only one who is saying something. It was better the way it was before,

On 22/09/2022 at 12:27, Steven P. said:

I don’t think it was reasonable to have it turned on for everyone, not respecting their original settings. Do you? Couldn’t those settings have been honored and those who wanted it to follow by default, do it themselves instead of it changing globally?

On 22/09/2022 at 18:01, jnelsoninjax said:

Uh, I'm not the only one who is saying something. It was better the way it was before,

Ya it was annoying the #### out of me. I changed the settings now thanks to Nick H.. 

As others have said it devalues notifications. 

• Like 2

The default behavior is to automatic follow what you reply to or start a topic. Our forum is far older than all the new settings that came later. When I register someplace else with IPB (or some other system) I am auto followed to topics I reply to or start.

Take a few minutes to set them as you want, and let me decide how new members are alerted.. just like at other places.