Will This PC Work?

Thinking about getting a Coolmaster Elite 130 Mini ITX case to run my HTPC, which has the following in it:

MSI MPG z390m Gaming Edge motherboard
Intel i5 9500

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB

That means a new motherboard, which is fine as I could upgrade my other PC with the MSI Gaming Edge if it's still decent (is it?).

This PC runs some 4k films, but I use the on board graphics in the processor for that, which it's fine with.  As the PC is in the living room, I wanted something a little quiet.  The current set up is really silent apart from the hard drive (shucked western digital 16TB), but as the case is pretty empty, thinking a smaller case may stop some of the echoing from the hard drive, hence looking at a smaller case.  The only issue is it may not fit where the current PC is and the only other place is on top of a subwoofer, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it as the PC may fit nicely behind the TV.

Anyway...

The processor is a 1151 socket as far as I can see.

I took a look at some ASUS ITX motherboards and see they have a 1151 socket version, so that's a good start.

The question is, will that processor still be able to run some 4k content with that motherboard?

The hard drive that contains the operating system is a M.2 board (saying drive sounds funny with these new fangled things!) and although a couple of the Asus boards say they can handle M.2, I note they say M.2 M and E keys, which makes me think what I have (Corsair MP510 NVMe M.2 SSD) won't fit.

I wonder whether some more expert hands could confirm this?
EDIT:  Don't think it will fit.  The motherboard supports 2230 but mine is 2280.  Why this new piece of hardware isn't just the same, I don't know :(

If they won't fit, are there any other motherboards I should look at that will fit with the processor I have?

I could potentially also move this drive with the motherboard to the other system but it's a bit too small capacity wise (only 240GB) - I bought it specifically for the HTPC, which has Windows and a couple of other programs on it and that's literally it.

Thanks

On 09/10/2022 at 14:00, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Thinking about getting a Coolmaster Elite 130 Mini ITX case to run my HTPC, which has the following in it:

Gaming Edge motherboard
Intel i5 9500

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB

That means a new motherboard, which is fine as I could upgrade my other PC with the MSI Gaming Edge if it's still decent (is it?).

This PC runs some 4k films, but I use the on board graphics in the processor for that, which it's fine with.  As the PC is in the living room, I wanted something a little quiet.  The current set up is really silent apart from the hard drive (shucked western digital 16TB), but as the case is pretty empty, thinking a smaller case may stop some of the echoing from the hard drive, hence looking at a smaller case.  The only issue is it may not fit where the current PC is and the only other place is on top of a subwoofer, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it as the PC may fit nicely behind the TV.

Anyway...

The processor is a 1151 socket as far as I can see.

I took a look at some ASUS ITX motherboards and see they have a 1151 socket version, so that's a good start.

The question is, will that processor still be able to run some 4k content with that motherboard?

The hard drive that contains the operating system is a M.2 board (saying drive sounds funny with these new fangled things!) and although a couple of the Asus boards say they can handle M.2, I note they say M.2 M and E keys, which makes me think what I have (Corsair MP510 NVMe M.2 SSD) won't fit.

I wonder whether some more expert hands could confirm this?
EDIT:  Don't think it will fit.  The motherboard supports 2230 but mine is 2280.  Why this new piece of hardware isn't just the same, I don't know :(

If they won't fit, are there any other motherboards I should look at that will fit with the processor I have?

I could potentially also move this drive with the motherboard to the other system but it's a bit too small capacity wise (only 240GB) - I bought it specifically for the HTPC, which has Windows and a couple of other programs on it and that's literally it.

Thanks

Which board are you looking at specifically ... 'cause I'm not seeing "the motherboard supports 2230 but mine is 2280."

These two boards...

PRIME H310I-PLUS R2.0 - "1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)"

PRIME H310I-PLUS R2.0/CSM - "1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)"

...what are you looking at?