Debian Stable Kernel Regression Fixed

The other day when I updated the Linux kernel on my laptop that runs Debian stable, there was a regression with regards to amdgpu support (so doesn't affect older FX or Phenom CPUs) introduced in the stable 5.10.0-19 kernel package which stopped affected systems from booting.  My laptop would just freeze with "atomic helper" error messages.  Selecting the previous kernel version in grub at startup worked around the issue and the system would boot just fine.

image.png.6e5dd577171f142f5986e11d9f1f4852.png

I posted about the issue on the Debian forums, and they informed me that a fixed release of 5.10.0-19 has been released today, so all you have to do is update your Linux packages.

Anecdotally, for me, this is the first time I have ever had an update from Debian stable actually break something.  I guess there's a first time for everything, :p

The security bulletin can be found here: https://www.debian.org/security/2022/dsa-5257-2

The forum post where I brought it up can be found here: https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=153121

Edited by Gerowen
Grammar

Yeah, I would imagine show stopper issues at the kernel level are probably on the rarer side for Linux for us desktop users.

off the top of my head I would say the biggest issue I had in regards to Linux kernel, which was more annoying than anything else, but thankfully got fixed a while ago now because apparently many people were experiencing the issue is... for those of us who have DVD burners (it might have just been SATA ones as I don't think my backup computer had the issue if I recall correctly and both are IDE (one CD burner and one DVD burner)), during a cold boot of the system the drive tray would always eject (and then I would have to manually close it). but reboots were fine as the issue would not trigger. but since I generally leave my computer on all of the time this was not much of a issue, but when I did do a cold boot it kind of sucked because at the time I still kept the door on my case generally closed and the drive tray would slam into that during a cold boot. but I have since just removed that door, which I should have done a long time ago now, since it just gets in the way in general. now I ain't got that problem.

I have two DVD drives in my main PC but I think it was only one of them that had the drive tray eject bug.

I have been using Linux Mint full-time since Jan 2019 and I have had the same main PC (same motherboard) since May 2012. so while you do run into little quirks once in a while, I generally don't see anything too major.

Edited by ThaCrip