I have a brother printer/scanner currently connected via WiFi, but I can not access the scanner

Honestly,  I do not know if there is anything that I can do about this, but here is the issue:: I need to scan a document, but since the printer is not plugged into a PC, and the scanning software is not able to see the scanner, I assume it's because it is connected wireless, but I'm not sure. Is there anyway besides plugging the printer into a computer? Currently the printer is in a location that is not conducive to being relocated due to the ###### poor electrical connection in this mobile home.

It's unusual that their scanning software can't see the printer/scanner. I take you have the latest version of their utility software?

It should work if you have the proper software loaded....my Canon is able to printer/scan via wireless connection.

Soooo...what model do you have and is all relevant software installed?

what's the model and how old is it? I wonder if it's using an older protocol that has sense been disabled by default in windows for it's wireless communication

On 25/10/2022 at 17:06, Jim K said:

It should work if you have the proper software loaded....my Canon is able to printer/scan via wireless connection.

Soooo...what model do you have and is all relevant software installed?

I do not have the software installed, I just use the default windows driver for it

On 25/10/2022 at 17:07, Brandon H said:

what's the model and how old is it? I wonder if it's using an older protocol that has sense been disabled by default in windows for it's wireless communication

Brother MFC L2717DW It's only about 2 or 3 years old

On 25/10/2022 at 16:12, jnelsoninjax said:

I do not have the software installed, I just use the default windows driver for it

Brother MFC L2717DW It's only about 2 or 3 years old

download the software and during the install tell it, it's wireless. It should find the printer/scanner and install everything you need.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2717dw_us

On 25/10/2022 at 17:14, Warwagon said:

download the software and during the install tell it, it's wireless. It should install everything you need.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2717dw_us

The software won't install, it can't find the printer via wireless. The computer is wired.

Capture.PNG.df317821752858ae76d344cdce3f4eb9.PNG

On 25/10/2022 at 16:16, jnelsoninjax said:

The software won't install, it can't find the printer via wireless. The computer is wired.

you don't have any vlans or routing setup so wired/wifi devices can't talk to each other do you?

On 25/10/2022 at 16:16, jnelsoninjax said:

If you find the IP address of the wireless brother printer, can you ping it?

At least is the case of HP printer using the sh*tty HP smart software, i've seen it not be able to find the printer /scanner on the wifi, but find it just fine when you manually enter the IP address during the setup.

On 25/10/2022 at 17:18, Brandon H said:

you don't have any vlans or routing setup so wired/wifi devices can't talk to each other do you?

No

On 25/10/2022 at 17:18, Warwagon said:

If you find the IP address of the wireless brother printer, can you ping it?

Yes, it responds in 1ms

On 25/10/2022 at 16:23, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, it responds in 1ms

See if the setup lets you manually enter the IP address of the printer.

On 25/10/2022 at 17:24, Warwagon said:

See if the setup lets you manually enter the IP address of the printer.

There is no option, and Brother's troubleshooting guide suggests turning off the firewall, which I did, and it still can not detect the printer, which is odd because I can print to it without issue.

On 25/10/2022 at 17:32, Warwagon said:

Capture.PNG.df317821752858ae76d344cdce3f4eb9.PNG

When you click "Ok" on that box on the right, does the "Configure IP address" box become clickable.

No

On 25/10/2022 at 16:38, jnelsoninjax said:

No

is the refresh button grayed out too still? Because per the instructions on the right, you should at least be able to click refresh. Maybe restart the install and see of those buttons become clickable.

On 25/10/2022 at 17:46, primortal said:

Windows firewall blocking the discovery?

I have it disabled at the moment, and I am able to ping and print to it without issue.

On 25/10/2022 at 23:38, jnelsoninjax said:

No

I've had the same problem with my HP all-in-one over WiFi even though the full software suite is installed. My advice, click on Start and start typing Fax, click on Windows Fax and Scan.

SNAG-0020.png

I've had to use it myself.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/10/2022 at 17:49, Steven P. said:

I've had the same problem with my HP all-in-one over WiFi even though the full software suite is installed. My advice, click on Start and start typing Fax, click on Windows Fax and Scan.

SNAG-0020.png

I've had to use it myself.

That worked! Thanks!