Post your evidence of corporate greed and profits over people

The premise of this thread is simple, we currently live in difficult times thanks to a reliance on Russian gas (not the petroleum kind) I was not fully aware about, that had a knock on effect of driving up prices anywhere up to 40% including an inflation rate of 14.5% (September) vs 3.4% this time last year.

Despite all this, we still see this

Clear evidence that companies don't give a damn about inflation, consumers can go to hell and just pay more so companies never have to lose out.

Post your examples, please stay on topic. If you want to debate specifics, create your own thread.

Reading tweets like this pisses me off.

On 01/11/2022 at 19:40, Steven P. said:

The premise of this thread is simple, we currently live in difficult times thanks to a reliance on Russian gas (not the petroleum kind) I was not fully aware about, that had a knock on effect of driving up prices anywhere up to 40% including an inflation rate of 14.5% (September) vs 3.4% this time last year.

Despite all this, we still see this

Clear evidence that companies don't give a damn about inflation, consumers can go to hell and just pay more so companies never have to lose out.

Post your examples, please stay on topic. If you want to debate specifics, create your own thread.

Reading tweets like this pisses me off.

boo.jpg

From Google;

So far this year, Shell has reported profits of $30bn which is more than double the amount it made over the first nine months of 2021. The company plans to reward its shareholders with a 15% increase in its regular dividend and is on track this year to beat its record annual profit of $31bn in 2008.
5 days ago
  • Sad 2

Pharmaceutical companies.  Sure, I can understand them making profits ... R&D, staff, etc., don't pay for themselves.   However, blatant cost of drug increases pisses me off (i.e. EpiPen, Insulin, etc).

This is a prime example of "corporate greed and profits over people" ...

In March 2020, the government filed a complaint detailing these allegations and how Mallinckrodt unlawfully required Medicaid programs to foot the bill for an increase in price from $50 per vial to $28,000 per vial, as though a new version of Acthar came on the market in 2013, when in fact, it did not.

Justice Department

On 01/11/2022 at 04:51, foolsfolly said:

boo.jpg

You should do some research on what that bill actually contains...  Even some Democrats voted against it.  In simple terms, there's a high level of doubt that the bill will even have an effect on gas prices.  Just like how the Inflation Reduction Act doesn't do anything to reduce inflation.

This is the oldest political trick in the book.  Make a bill with a clever name that won't actually solve the problem and then throw it in the oppositions face when they vote against it.

• Facepalm 1

Google ($257 billion in revenue) , Facebook ($85 billion in revenue) , Apple ($365 billion in revenue), Nike ($37 billion in revenue), all far left companies that have a huge amount of excess profits but use slave labor to manufacture their products in foreign countries so they don't have to pay a fair salary to their "employees" or they are actively docking employees if they do not return to in-office work by having remote work salaries based on region, as if because somebody lives somewhere cheaper makes their labor worth less.

Starbucks, another far-left company that won't meet with their employees or tolerate them forming a union. More corporate greed:

• Walmart - Treats their employees like garbage.
  • Netflix
  • Disney - Used to be a place for families to go that was relatively affordable, it's nowhere affordable now.
  • Amazon (treats their employees like ######, also a far left company)
  • Johnson & Johnson (keeps putting out deadly and cancerous products)
  • Pfizer (need I say more? They have a history of putting profit over saving lives and covering up evidence of wrongdoing multiple times)

I don't know whether to put Microsoft on this list, they certainly have a monopoly but they "generally" stay out of politics and don't virtue signal as much as the other companies on this list. All the companies on this list pretend to care about minority groups and equity but their operations prove that they don't.

Edit: Every f****ng oil company should be an automatic given, though they do pay their oil field workers pretty good in the USA (had a friend who was one until he died in a motorcycle accident).

On 01/11/2022 at 13:22, Astra.Xtreme said:

You should do some research on what that bill actually contains...  Even some Democrats voted against it.  In simple terms, there's a high level of doubt that the bill will even have an effect on gas prices.  Just like how the Inflation Reduction Act doesn't do anything to reduce inflation.

This is the oldest political trick in the book.  Make a bill with a clever name that won't actually solve the problem and then throw it in the oppositions face when they vote against it.

Where was the republican’s anti-gouging bill? Where was their rebuttal. 

There is absolutely no excuse for all these high prices. They are taking advantage of the world situation with Russia and the so-called deadly virus to increase prices everywhere. Its abusive what they are doing to us all.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2022 at 13:35, shockz said:

Where was the republican’s anti-gouging bill? Where was their rebuttal. 

They're equally as worthless and a big chunk of them are probably in bed with the oil companies.  It's a hard, if not impossible, issue to solve.  It's a global issue, so how is the US govt going to force these oil companies to keep prices low?  They can't even keep medical prices reasonable on our own soil.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2022 at 14:43, Astra.Xtreme said:

They're equally as worthless and a big chunk of them are probably in bed with the oil companies.  It's a hard, if not impossible, issue to solve.  It's a global issue, so how is the US govt going to force these oil companies to keep prices low?  They can't even keep medical prices reasonable on our own soil.

First time I've seen someone on the other side of the isle finally admit there's absolutely nothing Biden can really do with a global market dictating prices.

I think the main problem is there's no 'checks and balances' for our elected to not be bought by foreign agents.

I think a majority of the offices have been bought unfortunately now.

I don't think 'we  the people' are given a good choice anymore in elections. We have to settle for the lest of bad options. Has been that way now for a very long time.

On 01/11/2022 at 13:46, shockz said:

First time I've seen someone on the other side of the isle finally admit there's absolutely nothing Biden can really do with a global market dictating prices.

He probably can't but it's the president's job to take the blame for it.  Every president gets blamed for all the country's problems, and that's just how it goes.

What he can do is stop spending insane amounts of money.  Inflation correlates to spending, and that's Economics 101.  So of course it'll be incredibly easy to pin all the problems on his absorbent spending spree.

Govt seems to think they can throw money at problems, but it never works.  Obama threw money at medical insurance and it made it worse.  Trump threw stimulus money at people during the pandemic and that was arguably a bad idea.  Biden is throwing money at inflation, and that's not going to work either.  When times are tough, you cut costs and increase efficiency, not spend more.

On 01/11/2022 at 11:22, Astra.Xtreme said:

This strategy has been implemented in every country in every level in every so X years.

Just like you mentioned. Try to make something pretty on the outside, blame the opposition, whereas the actual bill had another meaning.

On 01/11/2022 at 12:20, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Google ($257 billion in revenue) , Facebook ($85 billion in revenue) , Apple ($365 billion in revenue), Nike ($37 billion in revenue), all far left companies that have a huge amount of excess profits but use slave labor to manufacture their products in foreign countries so they don't have to pay a fair salary to their "employees" or they are actively docking employees if they do not return to in-office work by having remote work salaries based on region, as if because somebody lives somewhere cheaper makes their labor worth less.

Starbucks, another far-left company that won't meet with their employees or tolerate them forming a union. More corporate greed:

• Walmart - Treats their employees like garbage.
  • Netflix
  • Disney - Used to be a place for families to go that was relatively affordable, it's nowhere affordable now.
  • Amazon (treats their employees like ######, also a far left company)
  • Johnson & Johnson (keeps putting out deadly and cancerous products)
  • Pfizer (need I say more? They have a history of putting profit over saving lives and covering up evidence of wrongdoing multiple times)

I don't know whether to put Microsoft on this list, they certainly have a monopoly but they "generally" stay out of politics and don't virtue signal as much as the other companies on this list. All the companies on this list pretend to care about minority groups and equity but their operations prove that they don't.

Edit: Every f****ng oil company should be an automatic given, though they do pay their oil field workers pretty good in the USA (had a friend who was one until he died in a motorcycle accident).

You really need to get out of your hate bubble in thinking companies are left (or right). They are companies, greedy bastards, but they are companies not politics.

Just think for a while, most of these companies are world-wide companies. Left and Right take different turns.

Just stop with the hate-ignorance , companies are greedy and as such need to be dealt with.

On 01/11/2022 at 18:37, freedonX said:

You really need to get out of your hate bubble in thinking companies are left (or right). They are companies, greedy bastards, but they are companies not politics.

Just think for a while, most of these companies are world-wide companies. Left and Right take different turns.

Just stop with the hate-ignorance , companies are greedy and as such need to be dealt with.

Do you bury your head in the sand often or are you just ignorant?

• Facepalm 2

On 01/11/2022 at 16:46, SpeedyTheSnail said:

No sir, I live outside your hate bubble. Open your eye. Look at numbers, how things work in the real world, not one sided opinion. Read books, take seminars, go back to school, heck...watch youtube videos. 
Or better yet, go live in another country, have conversations with people around the world. 

Don't get me wrong, corporations need to regulated some way or other

On 01/11/2022 at 18:06, freedonX said:

No sir, I live outside your hate bubble. Open your eye. Look at numbers, how things work in the real world, not one sided opinion. Read books, take seminars, go back to school, heck...watch youtube videos. 
Or better yet, go live in another country, have conversations with people around the world. 

Don't get me wrong, corporations need to regulated some way or other

You're wasting your time, speedy isn't open minded enough to think outside his own bubble. It's all black and white to him, incapable of seeing beyond that thinking. 

On 01/11/2022 at 11:56, margrave said:

I think the main problem is there's no 'checks and balances' for our elected to not be bought by foreign agents.

I think a majority of the offices have been bought unfortunately now.

I don't think 'we  the people' are given a good choice anymore in elections. We have to settle for the lest of bad options. Has been that way now for a very long time.

You can thank Citizens United vs. FEC for that.

With corporations treated as people with practically no limits as to how much they can spend on elections, we now have an entire government that is controlled by the highest bidder.  

It's now "of the people, by the Corporations, for the Corporations".

• Like 3

On 01/11/2022 at 18:36, spacelordmaster said:

There is absolutely no excuse for all these high prices. They are taking advantage of the world situation with Russia and the so-called deadly virus to increase prices everywhere. Its abusive what they are doing to us all.

It's called War Profiteering, and yes, it's illegal.

Buuut, in a world where the corps literally own the governments, nothing's going to happen...

• Like 3

I had an 850 pound mower fall on me, was a 5 foot drop. Broke my behind, destroyed my phone. Did my boss offer me medical assistance? Nope. He said to me, "get up, we gotta go make money". I nearly died. His pockets are full, but I'm broke. In more ways than one. Greed. Next! (Grass was too wet, and it fell backwards on top of me. I can barely walk or function, or sleep) Oh. And spinning blades that are razor sharp. Happened yesterday.

Resized_20221101_110544.jpeg

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi
Edited to include details that are corporate secrets.
  • Sad 2

On 03/11/2022 at 01:51, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

I had an 850 pound mower fall on me, was a 5 foot drop. Broke my behind, destroyed my phone. Did my boss offer me medical assistance? Nope. He said to me, "get up, we gotta go make money". I nearly died. His pockets are full, but I'm broke. In more ways than one. Greed. Next! (Grass was too wet, and it fell backwards on top of me. I can barely walk or function, or sleep) Oh. And spinning blades that are razor sharp. Happened yesterday.

Bare with the following comments as this can (most sure will) be different in Mexico than in the USA (which I'm assuming you live there).

I sell insurance in Mexico, I got my certifications, passed the tests etc etc. There are policies that cover Civil Liability (Responsabilidad Civil). I sell these Civil Liability policies for different industries, there are about 20 different of them (the test itself is about 2 hours long for JUST that segment). 

If we go by what the law says (again in Mexico). Maybe your boss isn't liable (responsable maybe? bare the use of the word) but the owner of mower. If your boss is the owner, then maybe the place where you worked at is. I don't know what your job is, so bare with me. If you're a gardener then nor you nor your boss are liable of the work area. Was it too wet because, it didn't have maintenance? Then the person liable is the work area not your boss.

More times than not, bosses/business owners aren't aware where their liable lies. I'm no lawyer, heck I'm a former IT guy of 20 years. I just go for what the law says and who is liable.

It depends who is liable/responsible of what. You (the worker) have rights and obligations, also your boss as rights and obligations , also the work place also has rights and obligations. Heck depending on the sitatuation , if this is municipality/city thing. They also have rights and obligations.
These obligations can be labor, civil, social, environment, taxes, etc etc

So maybe going with your boss isn't going to get your anywhere OR your boss doesn't know he can sue the person resonsibile OR yeah he justs wants to screw you.

Edited by freedonX
grammer

On 03/11/2022 at 08:35, freedonX said:

Bare with the following comments as this can (most sure will) be different in Mexico than in the USA (which I'm assuming you live there).

I sell insurance in Mexico, I got my certifications, passed the tests etc etc. There are policies that cover Civil Liability (Responsabilidad Civil). I sell these Civil Liability policies for different companies, there are about 20 different of them (the test itself is about 2 hours long for JUST that segment). 

If we go by what the law says (again in Mexico). Maybe your boss isn't responsable but the owner of mower. If your boss is the owner, then maybe the place where you worked at is. I don't know what your job is, so bare with me. If you're a gardener then nor you nor your boss are responsible of the work area. Was it too wet because, it didn't have maintenance? Then the person responsible is the work area not your boss.

More times than not, bosses/business owners aren't aware where their responsability lies. I'm no lawyer, heck I'm a former IT guy of 20 years. I just go for what the law says and who is responisible.

It depends who is responsible of what. You (the worker) have rights and obligations, also your boss as rights and obligations , also the work place also has rights and obligations. Heck depending on the sitatuation , if this is municipality/city thing. They also have rights and obligations.
These obligations can be labor, civil, social, environment, taxes, etc etc

It recently rained about 2 inches, plus they have irrigation. That's why the grass was wet. My boss is the owner of the equipment. I'm just a tool, albeit a broken one. It was a shopping center. I can't raise a fuss, because I don't want to end up living in a car again, nor in the streets. I have rent, and utilities that have to be paid. In fact, I'm about to head out to do work all by myself while he sits at home doing nothing.

On 03/11/2022 at 07:41, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

It recently rained about 2 inches, plus they have irrigation. That's why the grass was wet. My boss is the owner of the equipment. I'm just a tool, albeit a broken one. It was a shopping center. I can't raise a fuss, because I don't want to end up living in a car again, nor in the streets. I have rent, and utilities that have to be paid. In fact, I'm about to head out to do work all by myself while he sits at home doing nothing.

Ask around collegues/friends of this situation. Maybe your boss doesn't have to pay anything. Maybe it's the shopping center. Sure enough your boss is a MOFO, but can also be he just wants to let is slid because he isn't aware he can save himself and you headache. Because even if you DO go against your boss, you might waste your time because turns out the shopping center is the one liable.

Can't help more than that, because you'll have to ask around. Don't have experience on US laws

FYI that's why lawyers make lots of money, they know who is responsible and where.

Edited by freedonX
grammer

On 01/11/2022 at 18:46, SpeedyTheSnail said:

What's funny is until last week, Twitter would have made your list too. lol

On 03/11/2022 at 03:51, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

If you're in the US, there's all sorts of avenues you can pursue over this. You'd also have protections against losing your job in retaliation, but considering how they've treated you, maybe a new job isn't the worst idea. Maybe get a lawyer, especially if you're injured, you can sue him for court and legal costs.