XP - Piece of sh*t

Damn WinXP... it starts off fine and then after a few days it starts going into "random crash mode". It will lock browsing the web, copying and pasting text, playing MP3's, moving icons on my desktop, using any mundane programs EXCEPT games. I have NEVER had a total lock in a game [like Half-Life, Elite Force, Unreal Tournament]! It's only doing bollocks all on my desktop that causes my computer to "lock".

And as usual it all seems to be down to USELESS Nvidia drivers. I'm using a TNT2 and the 12.90 beta drivers but as you would expect I've tried all the other drivers [official 12.41, 14.40, 14.20, etc!].

And I haven't even changed any settings!

Specs:

700 Duron

VIA motherboard [could be the problem]

ATA 100, 7200rpm, 15gig Maxtor hard drive

256RAM PC100

17" Elonex MN045 monitor

Yamaha Waveforce 192XG

TNT2 [V770 - 12.90 win2k drivers on]

I better finish this quick b4 it bloody locks again... I've had like 5 crashes within the hour!!! FFS!

HAHA... i'm been using XP for 2 weeks now and it hasn't crashed once. I don't know what you're doing cuz it's not the VIA mobo. I have a VIA 686B southbridge and a SB Live! DE 5.1 and that doesn't give probs either. here's my system:

1.2ghz 266mhz t-bird

Shuttle AK12 (Via KT133/688B chipset)

768MB PC-133mhz

Maxtor 40GB ATA-100 7200RPM

SoundBlaster Live DE 5.1

GeForce2 MX 200 64MB

16X Toshiba DVD

NetGear FA-311 NIC <---- Don't get it!!

GeForce2 MX 200 64MB

First thing I thought that the only 64MB GeForce2 MX was the 400 not the 200. And second, what drivers are you using? I have JUST gone back to the default drivers and it "seems" to be stable (though I've only been using it for like 5 minutes).

NEway, I'm getting the 14.61 drivers bcos the 12.40 that ship with WinXP are sh*t slow in both games and in Windows [clicking and dragging especially]. And if THEY don't help then I'll try the 14.10 certified drivers. And if THEY don't help then I'll probably go back to Win98 or Win2k, whichever is easiest to install (seeing as how both my partitions are NTFS).

Is there NEway to convert NTFS into FAT32?

I am now using the 14.61 beta drivers. The readme now says XP instead of just "Win 2k".

But there is a sarcrifice - Windows runs like crap (alpha blending is SO f*cking slow and shadowing on menus just doesn't work!). Does NE1 know how to disable the alpha blending for click'ing and drag'ing icons... it's just too slow (on both DEFAULT drivers and these 14.61 drivers - shadowing and alpha blending were FINE in the 12.90 drivers, now it's messed up again). I hope Nvidia releases the 20.xx drivers soon.

I haven't had a crash with these 14.61 drivers YET and games run like ULTRA smooth in comparison to the default WinXP 12.40 drivers!!! Elite Force [Quake 3 engine] is like SUPER smooth. :D

Try going to the System Properties, Advanced, Perfromance Options. There is a load of visual effect options you can change.

I have installed RTM on a Jetway AS663 Pro what uses the VIA Appolo pro 133 chipset. I had lots of strange errors while installing including a "Blue Screen of death" after modifying the region lock key in the registry (somthing I have never seen before after modifying this key on loads of comps) but when I had finsihed messing it seemed to gain stability and has been running for 3 or 4 days with no problems.

I have to say that I am an Intel lover I have always used Intel Motherboards and CPU's and never had any problems with any Microsoft Operating system...guess its because Intel do a lot of the low level programming for Microsoft.

Do you remeber about a month after 2K went gold ? they released a VIA AGP patch after they discovered it was only running at 1X... makes you wonder if history is going to repeat its self again

Thnx Daysleeper... I'd found that menu b4 but I'd TOTALLY forgotten where it was. I've disabled "translucent rectange" which means Windows now runs are an acceptable speed... is stable... AND run games REALLY fast. Shame Nvidia can't do decent XP drivers. But it's about time I upgraded to a GeForce2 MX!

PS - I'm thinking of getting Tribes 2 and was wondering how well it runs on XP (I've heard of SOME problems) and how good a game it is... if anyone can tell me I would be grateful but I'll probably have to start a new topic about it.

* Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

I found this on the Nvidia site - Is this true??? I had the virus program ON at the time I installed my drivers. :s

Hey mortensen ... yo check this out. Since you're thinking of moving up to a GeForce2 MX and I got one i can sell it to you for $60 US. I'm by the way using 14.70 drivers and i've never had any probs at all. Umm... oh and about eh XP drivers. NO DEFAULT drivers are meant to play games. They don't have OpenGL and Full optimisation for DirectX. All they do is let you be able to see what your doing and install the other drivers that you need. Imagine if MS had to create specific drivers for every manufacture and every card out there.... how imposible would that be?

Detonator 3 14.70 drivers for Win9X

Detonator 3 14.70 drivers for WinNT (2k & XP)

I'm not sure if those links are gonna work but you can get them from Guru3d.com that's where i just linked them from. Go there and download them if you want but DETONATOR 4 (20.81) drivers are out tomorrow....

In previous OS's I have never seen a problem with running Antivirus software while installing drivers. In XP though, when i tried to install my Radeon's drivers, the ATI installer came up and said that "Drivers installed successfully,a card was not configured" or something to that effect. That might have been because I was running NAV8 though.

I have Norton AntiVirus 2002 (8) running in the background while I installed my drivers... I don't THINK they messed up but maybe next time I should disable my AntiVirus program next time.

PS - Nvidia SHOULD release the Detonator 4 drivers today but they aint being quick about it... the bummer about living in the UK is that we're ahead of crappy USA and so when it's a "6pm release" it's like 3am here.... GRRRR.

Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents...

I have found that the best drivers for TNT2 cards are the det 2's v5.32

They have always had the best performance, because they dont have all that extra crap for all the geforce chips. (Not that the geforce's are crap mind you)

It just so happens that v5.32 was the first det drivers officially supported by win2k. Ive been running them in XP for awhile now, and I havent had any problems, and the performance is right on par with what I had in win2k.

If ya cant find them, let me know and ill send ya a copy.

Originally posted by mortensen  

Damn WinXP... it starts off fine and then after a few days it starts going into "random crash mode". It will lock browsing the web, copying and pasting text, playing MP3's, moving icons on my desktop, using any mundane programs EXCEPT games. I have NEVER had a total lock in a game [like Half-Life, Elite Force, Unreal Tournament]! It's only doing bollocks all on my desktop that causes my computer to "lock".

And as usual it all seems to be down to USELESS Nvidia drivers. I'm using a TNT2 and the 12.90 beta drivers but as you would expect I've tried all the other drivers [official 12.41, 14.40, 14.20, etc!].

And I haven't even changed any settings!

Specs:

700 Duron

VIA motherboard [could be the problem]

ATA 100, 7200rpm, 15gig Maxtor hard drive

256RAM PC100

17" Elonex MN045 monitor

Yamaha Waveforce 192XG

TNT2 [V770 - 12.90 win2k drivers on]

I better finish this quick b4 it bloody locks again... I've had like 5 crashes within the hour!!! FFS!

Sorry to hear your sad story but XP definitely works like a charm with my System..I am using the same Vid card that you have (Diamond V770U TNT2) and I just found out V6.5, 14.60 and also the new one (21.81) works flawlessly and play the games smooth like Jennifer Loopeaz Ass!

Here is my Spec:

P3 800 O/C to 1GZ

Abit BE6II Mobo with 384MB RAM (256MB Crucial + 128MB Infenion)

IBM 60GXP 40GB, Quantum Fireball AS 40GB, W.D. 30GB.

Diamond TNT2 Ultra (V770)

First of all, everyone must admit Intel is more compatible than AMD under WindowsXP..Of coz, lot of computer experts know how to make XP run on their machine runs perfectly, but it seems

you, mortensen is ****ing up this Great OS....

Please don't blame WinXP..since WinXP is definitely works like a charm...Maybe you can find some courses to study about or buy a book in book store "DUMMY IN WINXP" to read it out...LOL

Originally posted by Elin27  

Please don't blame WinXP..since WinXP is definitely works like a charm...Maybe you can find some courses to study about or buy a book in book store "DUMMY IN WINXP" to read it out...LOL

I have to agree with this. The original poster didn't mention how the system is setup; what system services were disabled, or what not. There are alot of way to screw it up. :china: