Guide  When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

How to open pinned icons using your keyboard

Hi, I'm Adam, I'm known as Warwagon on the forum. For the past 19 years, I've been operating my own computer repair business. In doing so, I deal with the average computer user on a day-to-day basis.

Every bit of information I provide for people I do so with the lowest common denominator in mind. It's a common misconception that everyone who joins or browses a tech site is a techie. Some people are just looking for guidance. That is why for some, these tech tips may seem a bit too simplistic but they are educational for others.

Pins

On the bottom of your screen, you have the taskbar (unless you move it). On the taskbar are applications you have open and applications that you've pinned there.

To pin an application to the taskbar,

• Right click the application
  • Left click on "Pin to taskbar".

Tech Tip Tuesday winnumber

Did you know you can launch one of those pinned apps on the taskbar without ever touching your mouse?

Those icons on the taskbar are numbered. To the right of the start button, there are some default icons. Next to those icons starts as 1 and it goes up to 10 (0).

If you have those default icons disabled, then the icon directly to the right of the start button is 1.

pinned icons default

If you wish to launch the app located directly to the right of the default icons, you would hold down the windows key and press the number 1 just once (Win key +1). If you wish to launch the next app over, you would press Win key +2 and so on.

Happy Computing!

If you learned something today, great! If not, maybe share your own tech tip in the comments below!

Report a problem with article
The Firefox logo on a black and yellow background
Next Article

Firefox 107.0.1 is out with another fix for Windows 11 22H2 and Suggested Actions

Windows 11 taskbar with the search box and search highlights
Previous Article

How to disable Windows 10-like Search highlights in Windows 11 build 25252