cpu running too hot? liquid cooled!

I have a new build I finished. i7 13th gen, 32GB DDR5, ASUS Strix z790-E motherboard, Gigabyte 4080.

I noticed last night that my coolant temp displayed on the srceen was 91 degrees fahrenheit. So, I powered off for the night. I powered on this morning in a cool house and went straight to iCUE and it's showing 82 degree coolant temp and 91 degree cpu temp. Is it supposed to run that hot? I thought the liquid cooling was supposed to keep it in the 70's. I followed the instructions and just applied it to the CPU with the thermal paste that was already on it.

Anything I should check like maybe the temperature sensor plugged in to the wrong place maybe?

iCUE_pF1CSkQGJT.png

NVIDIA_Share_8VJwz7MlgW.png

iCUE isn't really known for its accuracy as it will often display wrong values. I would instead rely on HWinfo or something. That said, your temps seem to be perfectly fine. You sure you're not confusing Fahrenheit with Celsius? 😅

On 01/12/2022 at 07:16, Jim K said:

yea, those temps are perfectly fine.  If those numbers were in Celsius ... it would be a bit worrisome.  

Oh really? OK. I did a little bit of Googling and people were saying that a liquid cooled CPU should stay around 75ish. Maybe they were talking about older CPU's or didn't know what they were talking about.

How to the temps go when you stress them?

On 01/12/2022 at 17:51, patseguin said:

a liquid cooled CPU should stay around 75ish

haha this is why units are important

On 01/12/2022 at 07:46, hellowalkman said:

How to the temps go when you stress them?

haha this is why units are important

Well, all along I've had only the coolant temp displayed and hadn't realized it so it's hard to tell. I played quite a bit of Godfall with everything maxed out to ultra and ray tracing turned on. When I quit for the night, the coolant temp was only 8 degrees higher than it is now. Since I hadn't had CPU temp displaying though, that's probably not enough info. I'll test more after work.

On 01/12/2022 at 08:05, cooky560 said:

That looks fine, most cpus are good to 100c or 212f :)

212f seriously? lol then I guess I am good.

• Like 1

Yeah, my 13th gen i9-13900K at idle or basic usage sits around 40c (104f) ... while transcoding it hits around 85c (185f) ish temps... I have an Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme mobo, Kingston Beast Fury DDR5, and have an MSI Coreliquid S360 ... i went off using Corsair products... couldnt get the fan tuning or temps down like i can using alternative products! When i was using the Corsair liquid cooling units, my PC was just too loud! Also changed to Be Quiet fans... massive difference when putting my pc under major load!! :)

But your temps are good. (as mentioned, Corsair values arent quite on the money :) )

On 01/12/2022 at 08:12, Sulphy said:

Yeah, my 13th gen i9-13900K at idle or basic usage sits around 40c (104f) ... while transcoding it hits around 85c (185f) ish temps... I have an Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme mobo, Kingston Beast Fury DDR5, and have an MSI Coreliquid S360 ... i went off using Corsair products... couldnt get the fan tuning or temps down like i can using alternative products! When i was using the Corsair liquid cooling units, my PC was just too loud! Also changed to Be Quiet fans... massive difference when putting my pc under major load!! :)

But your temps are good. (as mentioned, Corsair values arent quite on the money :) )

Yeah as long as my temps are good, I'm happy. The system is super quiet. I don't even hear anything unless I load up a game and even then it's barely noticeable.

On 01/12/2022 at 06:14, patseguin said:

Yeah as long as my temps are good, I'm happy. The system is super quiet. I don't even hear anything unless I load up a game and even then it's barely noticeable.

Give prime95 a run and see how your temperatures fare. That will give you the worse case scenario. Make sure you run it long enough to saturate the water cooler. 

In all honesty it's very hard to kill a modern CPU if you have a cooler installed, the cpu will throttle and eventually just drop to 0hz if it gets too warm, as long as neither of these happens. You're good!

Run prime95 for about 30 minutes and watch the clock speeds, they should be constant, and the temps should be under 100c / 212f throughout. An exception to this exists for the 13900k which seems to boost until it hits 100c regardless of how good your cooling is, but you'll get higher clock rates out of that 100c on a good cooler than a bad one.

On 01/12/2022 at 06:21, patseguin said:

Oh really? OK. I did a little bit of Googling and people were saying that a liquid cooled CPU should stay around 75ish. Maybe they were talking about older CPU's or didn't know what they were talking about.

That's probably Celsius ... though 75C should be under some kinda load (too warm for idle/light load).  75F (24C) is around ambient room temp ... not sure how you can expect an AIO to maintain a CPU at/near ambient temp.

91F equates to roughly 32C which is an average Idle temp. nothing to worry about :)

Even being American I have gotten used to using Celsius at least for computer parts as that's the most common metric for them. Been watching a lot of LLT benchmark vids lately.

On 01/12/2022 at 10:26, Brandon H said:

91F equates to roughly 32C which is an average Idle temp. nothing to worry about :)

Even being American I have gotten used to using Celsius at least for computer parts as that's the most common metric for them. Been watching a lot of LLT benchmark vids lately.

Yeah I think I'm finding that out. I just read somewhere that which gaming it can run as hot as 176 degrees Fahrenheit. I'll do some more testing when I get some. I emailed Corsair support about the water cooler and told them it was idling at 91 degrees Fahrenheit right when I turned it on and they said that sounds high.

On 01/12/2022 at 08:51, adrynalyne said:

Give prime95 a run and see how your temperatures fare. That will give you the worse case scenario. Make sure you run it long enough to saturate the water cooler. 

Yeah, at least on my i5-3550 CPU (using a stock i3-2120 fan/heatsink combo with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste), temps will usually level out after about 20 minutes.

but another thing, at least with my i5-3550 with Prime95, is there is pretty much two kinds of Prime95 tests that are worth trying... the full-on test with AVX ON, which is basically the 'worst case scenario' temp test and then another test with AVX OFF which is more of a real world worst case scenario since temps won't reach as high with AVX off and not much to my knowledge uses AVX in general so it's more of a true 100% CPU load and even this is probably more than most tasks since not much will consistently peg it to a full-load for any length of time (maybe video encoding as with gaming it does not hammer it near full load level).

with that said... I am not sure if things changed on newer Intel CPU's in regards to this stuff though since my CPU is basically 10 year old tech.

p.s. one thing the OP might consider is unvervolting the CPU as that's a way to lower temps pretty much penalty free as if you go a bit too low on voltage the system might freeze is all and if you go too far it will have trouble booting. I am running my i5-3550 at -0.120v (I can adjust by -0.010v each increment) which basically shaves off about 12c under full load and my CPU runs at 3.5GHz under a full load on Linux (even though it's only officially rated at 3.3GHz but that's what it defaults to on my ASUS board).

Edited by ThaCrip

On 01/12/2022 at 10:26, Brandon H said:

There's not a BIOS setting I should have set, was there? The cooler came with no documentation whatsoever so I had to do some guesswork and watch some videos. I'm wondering if there's something like a CPU fan setting that I should turn up to max because it's a water cooler?

On 01/12/2022 at 13:05, patseguin said:

There's not a BIOS setting I should have set, was there? The cooler came with no documentation whatsoever so I had to do some guesswork and watch some videos. I'm wondering if there's something like a CPU fan setting that I should turn up to max because it's a water cooler?

AIO cooler I'm guessing? Don't have much experience with water cooling myself but as far as I'm aware there's nothing special needed. just apply thermal paste as normal (if not pre-applied) and be sure to plug the fan into the AIO fan port if present on the mobo otherwise just use the normal cpu fan port.

On 01/12/2022 at 13:14, Brandon H said:

AIO cooler I'm guessing? Don't have much experience with water cooling myself but as far as I'm aware there's nothing special needed. just apply thermal paste as normal (if not pre-applied) and be sure to plug the fan into the AIO fan port if present on the mobo otherwise just use the normal cpu fan port.

Normally there are 2 connections, the fan and the pump. Both use the motherboard header for fans.

Here's a picture before I stood it back up and put the side panel back on and a pic to show someone else asking if I should put a fan where I circled. My 4080 wasn't in yet at this point. The temp showing is the default setting which is the coolant in celcius. Is the digital 36 on the motherboard the cpu temp?

pc.jpg

case.jpg

On 01/12/2022 at 14:50, patseguin said:

Here's a picture before I stood it back up and put the side panel back on and a pic to show someone else asking if I should put a fan where I circled. My 4080 wasn't in yet at this point. The temp showing is the default setting which is the coolant in celcius. Is the digital 36 on the motherboard the cpu temp?

pc.jpg

case.jpg

A fan on the back is not needed, as you have 3 top fans as output. That should be enough for your setup.

Where are you getting 36 from? Clearly on the heatsink it says "32". 32c is a great temperature. Most CPUs have a threshold of 100C. You are FAAAAR from there.

But, breaking it down, idle temperatures don't mean anything. As said above, run Prime95 on it, and see where your temps are under load.

On 01/12/2022 at 14:50, patseguin said:

pc.jpg

case.jpg

It could be the temp ... do you have it configured in the BIOS to display CPU temp?  See page 73...

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_STRIX_Z790-E_GAMING_WIFI/E21402_ROG_STRIX_Z790_Series_BIOS_Manual_EM_draft1.pdf

..temps are fine.

I just played Forza Horizon 5 with everything maxed out and ray tracing for about 45 minutes. Collant temp went to 102 fahrenheit and "cpu package" (whatever that means) jumped all over the place from 115f to 149f but mostly stayed in the 140 range. I just noticed in the ICUE sofware that it is set to "emergency shutdown" if the temperature value reaches 158F. I was only 9 degrees away from that!

Why would you have "emergency shutdown" for 70C? 

I'm failing to see any issues with the temps you're posting (aside from having to convert F to C).  These 13th gen CPUs do run a bit on the warm side...but afaik won't throttle until it hits 100C (212F).

Do what others have suggested and run Prime. 

...and please start using Celsius.  

On 01/12/2022 at 18:33, Jim K said:

...and please start using Celsius.  

He may be from NY, but yeah computers have been using Celsius for ages.. Get used to using it, OP.

On 01/12/2022 at 18:11, patseguin said:

and "cpu package" (whatever that means)

CPU Package is the temperature provided by the CPU itself. It has a built-in digital thermal diode that provides the temperature reading that AIDA64 then displays as "CPU Package".

You're alright bub, stop worrying. If your computer starts shutting down because of heavy temperatures/loads, THEN I would start getting scared.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2022 at 19:33, Jim K said:

Why would you have "emergency shutdown" for 70C? 

Well, I don’t but iCUE appears to have that preset.

ok guys, all take your advice and not worry about it AND go back to Celsius lol

• Like 1