beta test my new site please?

Question

i can't take down the wallpapers...i clearly state that i do not claim authorship of any of those wallpapers...if that's still not cool then i will take them down though

Looking good, I think the background image is fine, I must say I like the pic with the XxDesmus_MODxX covering your breasts, I think i'll add that page to my favourites :p o/j

Edited by MindfreeZe

I don't understand why people would get annoyed for their work being posted, it is only a personal site, the person is not going to be making any money or anything from it, they are only reccomendations.

Yeah and he does say that he didn't make any of them.

That out of the way, I think it's generally a good site. I came across it earlier through another thread and was impressed.

It's in my favourites so it must be good. :p

so the general opinion is the walls are ok or not? ....i don't want to **** people off, that's why i specifcally said "if any of these walls are you work and you'd like the removed please drop me and email and i will within a few hours usually"

anyways, thanks for the comments...i am working on trying to get a RSS feed on my mainpage that will display the headlines of neowin as well as maybe alistapart (crosses fingers) this would be cool as hell :woot:

Edited by XxDesmus_MODxX

Ignorance is bliss. Wait until an author requests removal before doing anything :D I like the site, its very, erm, pretty :p I am going to try and emulate your navigation soon, although in a horizontal fashion. And thanks for pointing me in the direction of two lovely wallpapers :)

I don't understand why people would get annoyed for their work being posted, it is only a personal site, the person is not going to be making any money or anything from it, they are only reccomendations.

Because it is an artist's choice of where to have his work distributed.

Frankly, as an artist, this behaviour annoys me immensely. Unless the author states quite categorically that "You may freely distribute and/or host these works without permission" or words to that effect then you have no right, (moral right, at least) to be doing so.

For all you know, any one of those designs may be subject to an exclusivity deal with another site.

Dude...not a good call on the walls. :no: Waiting for an artist to tell you to remove their work is not a good rule of thumb. It's a simple concept...if you don't have permission, you don't distribute another person's work :crazy: I've already brought this to the artist's attention. If your link is still up, you'll be hearing from them soon ;)

People take stuff too seriously...

"OMG... you are distributing my wallpaper... omg omg... This is terrible even though you don't take credit for authorship..."

I agree with the philosophy that its alright to post something until someone tells you that you can't... They are fine and should stay until the "artist" (come on people, these are wallpapers that aren't really that original) gets his panties in a wad and tells you that he doesn't want to share his work with other people.

I like the overall look, but I do have a few minor nitpicks.

Use some css to style your links, the default blue/purple do not fit in with the site's color scheme.

On the photo gallery page, "bare" should be "bear".

Also, try to optimize your graphics a little more, your site would be a huge download for anyone still using a modem. It was a little slow even on my school's "broadband" connection.

And I definitely agree that you should not offer walls for download without the authors' permission, it is a matter of respect, a lot of artists do not want their work freely distributed.

Other than that, good job :)

it is a matter of respect, a lot of artists do not want their work freely distributed.

Exactly, therein lies the issue.

You respect the art enough to want to display it on your site, but have no respect for the possible wishes of the artist? Think yourself lucky that some artists are far more tolerant on this issue than I am!

But one day you'll bump into another me, having taken his work without consent.

but have no respect for the possible wishes of the artist?

wtf...

he said he would take it off if the artist wished... he is respecting the wishes of the artist.

To his knowledge, there are no restrictions on distribution... by saying that he will take it off if the artist wants, he is respecting the wishes of the artist.

Did you even visit the website? or were you just going by what other people said?

The point that some are trying to make here is that digital artwork (wallpapers in this case) are not automatically available for distribution by whomever wishes to do so. Sure, in this case, the fact that there is statement that identifies non-ownership might be enough; however many artists would rather be asked first for permission rather than happening upon later. Respect here is the issue - plain and simple.

Now that he knows that this is the case, the respectful thing would be to contact the authors/artists for permission. Ignorance because of a lack of knowledge on a matter is one thing, blatant disregard is another. Hopefully the right decision can be made here as the site has potential despite some small problems here and there.