MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 CPU Red Light

First things first board was already tested and prebuilt by novatech 

Link to motherboard is here https://www.novatech.co.uk/motherboardbundles/view/mbb-12616b.html and pc case we are using is here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KGSJRC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My brother trying to build a new pc and we are having a cpu red light issue motherboard  we did  bench test and got it to boot in to the bios before trying  to put it in pc case

curious questions ahead!!

1 the case already came with standoffs and holes to screws down the motherboard am sure ma brother said there was 9 in total but i now heard the motherboard may have it own screws - standoff so do we use them instead?

2. we done all the usual pc troubleshooting such as replacing ram checking connections are in snuggly and tight and even  reset cmos no dice 

What i dont get is we bench tested it first and were successful now if try to bench test it cpu read light.

our current issue is it power on for a bit and shut off again and then switches back on and is stuck in a loop no post

Building a pc is becoming a disheartening process but i really hope we can solve this issue and make it a possible win.

I would try it out of the case, on a piece of cardboard. Count the number of holes in the motherboard and the number of standoffs in the case. Could just be you are shorting out the board.

Being it ATX, it should actually have 10 holes..

On 30/12/2022 at 01:15, Mindovermaster said:

I would try it out of the case, on a piece of cardboard. Count the number of holes in the motherboard and the number of standoffs in the case. Could just be you are shorting out the board.

Being it ATX, it should actually have 10 holes..

https://asset.msi.com/resize/image/global/product/product_16353230217db67a74738c0b1d76f53ec9a93133af.png62405b38c58fe0f07fcef2367d8a9ba1/1024.png

i only see 9 holes

Since i cant edit my post trying on a piece of cardboard  worked at first that was the first thing we done before we put it in the case but it no longer works cpu red light  after taking it back out of case.

On 30/12/2022 at 01:44, Rika86 said:

My mistake..

On 30/12/2022 at 03:38, Rika86 said:

Since i cant edit my post trying on a piece of cardboard  worked at first that was the first thing we done before we put it in the case but it no longer works cpu red light  after taking it back out of case.

What do you mean by cpu red light ?

You do have the appropriate CPU power cable going to the CPU power header on the board? 

You've tried to clear the CMOS. 

Have you tried to POST with the bare minimum (like with just one stick of memory and removal of a dedicated GPU...if applicable)?  Bare minimum is just CPU and one stick of memory...nothing else plugged in (aside from the CPU power/24pin power).

Lastly (after clearing CMOS, trying to POST w/ bare minimums) ... have you tried to reseat the CPU? 

If you've done all of that...might just need to RMA the board or return it to the place of purchase.

On 30/12/2022 at 08:50, Mindovermaster said:

My mistake..

What do you mean by cpu red light ?

I would assume the motherboard has LED lights on a corner of the motherboard, labeled CPU, power and a few others and they go green or red.

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2022 at 10:46, Warwagon said:

I would assume the motherboard has LED lights on a corner of the motherboard, labeled CPU, power and a few others and they go green or red.

Oh my goddam mind.. I didn't know what he meant by that.. Thanks for showing me the light, WarWagon! :D

• Like 1

On 30/12/2022 at 10:54, Mindovermaster said:

Oh my goddam mind.. I didn't know what he meant by that.. Thanks for showing me the light, WarWagon! :D

I only know that because I helped someone asseble a ryzen system a couple months ago and they had those exact lights 😁

• Thanks 1

@Warwagon

you hit the nail and thank you for filling Mindovermaster in on the cpu red light

@ jim k

there are three power connectors if you check the screenshot link posted do you want me to only connect the 24 pin one?

what i dont get when we bench tested it before putting in  it booted to bios no problem now it wont after been put in case or out of case this is the second motherboard am on had the same issue with a gigabyte motherboard

also novatech bundle already had the cpu installed with cooler and ram so that kind of rules them out