Why does reading front page article comments need to log-in now

Why does now reading the front page articles comments need to log-in now? Even though you do not want to make comments on the articles why it it now reading others' comments require log-in? 

I think this is possibly related to the above, it doesn't seem possible to reply to an existing comment when logged in.

When clicking the "add comment" button, the button greys out, however the comment is never submitted.

On 09/01/2023 at 02:12, InsaneNutter said:

I think this is possibly related to the above, it doesn't seem possible to reply to an existing comment when logged in.

When clicking the "add comment" button, the button greys out, however the comment is never submitted.

But I am not talking about reply existing comment. I am talking about basic reading the comments made by other members on the Neowin site. I mean before you can still reading the comments made by other members without log-in. And also sometimes there are not many I can add to the conversations just curious what other say for the front page articles and news posted by various writers there at Neowin. 

Was it an update to the software used by the website? Or was it because of a recent article regarding Twitter that led to this?

Before, I read comments and if I feel that I have something to share, I log in... Now, just reading atrticle comments require you to login...

On 09/01/2023 at 04:46, Zero.Freedom said:

Why does now reading the front page articles comments need to log-in now? Even though you do not want to make comments on the articles why it it now reading others' comments require log-in? 

Hello. We decided to hide comments from guests because I was getting fed up with the level of misrepresentation by some members about our news or the deals we post. It's annoying when it is obvious that the person who is commenting clearly has not read the article, or educated themself about the item on offer (in a deal article). Plus I don't know about you, but why should I showcase a few members constantly whining and nitpicking about things they are clearly not interested in, but feel like it is their duty to whine about it in the comments.

I want to point out that many comments are also helpful and insightful, but the negative ones usually get more traction where full blown arguments end up happening

The community forums are user generated, and at the least this much is clear to guests when they browse topics of a forum, however having members spout off about news articles going off on things they don't understand and is clearly wrong information does not add value to the site. It is for this reason more and more news websites have decided to stop allowing comments on news articles altogether (which is something I first considered).

If a guest wants the opinion of the reader on a news article, they will have to login to view it.

On the flip side, advertisers are starting to boycott websites which includes user generated content next to their ads. Our advertiser already has a different set of ads for the forums than the news, and now I can tell them that guests will never see negative comments in our news articles, which could open up higher quality advertising there, you know... to support the running costs of the site.

On 12/01/2023 at 09:20, Steven P. said:

On the flip side, advertisers are starting to boycott websites which includes user generated content next to their ads. Our advertiser already has a different set of ads for the forums than the news, and now I can tell them that guests will never see negative comments in our news articles, which could open up higher quality advertising there, you know... to support the running costs of the site.

So sketchy, if an advertiser is afraid to illicit user feedback, there's probably something seriously wrong with the services their ads are advertising. 

Those office keys you post are still sketchy, and anyone with a competent background in IT sourcing and procurement can tell you that. Your deals contact even claimed ignorance when you pressed them (and they'd have to go up the chain to ask around), only alluding to the fact that the keys are "legitimate" aka, they activate. You can find numerous complaints on the BBB and similar for Stack Commerce, particularly about the deals you post... office keys, cotsco/bj's memberships, etc...

This honestly probably will have the opposite effect of what you're hoping for. When I go to purchase a product online (from a reputable source), if there are no product reviews, comments, I steer clear and find one that do have them. Just like the OP here, nobody is going to know they have to be registered to see comments.

Hopefully you don't start deleting comments on those articles that are negative. 

Edited by shockz
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

I've never based a purchase on reader comments of a review, I have based it on the reviews (to find out detailed information about the product) and then user posts on places like Reddit or forum posts (for actual use cases by owners). 

On 12/01/2023 at 08:20, Steven P. said:

Hello. We decided to hide comments from guests because I was getting fed up with the level of misrepresentation by some members about our news or the deals we post. It's annoying when it is obvious that the person who is commenting clearly has not read the article, or educated themself about the item on offer (in a deal article). Plus I don't know about you, but why should I showcase a few members constantly whining and nitpicking about things they are clearly not interested in, but feel like it is their duty to whine about it in the comments.

I want to point out that many comments are also helpful and insightful, but the negative ones usually get more traction where full blown arguments end up happening. 

The community forums are user generated, and at the least this much is clear to guests when they browse topics of a forum, however having members spout off about news articles going off on things they don't understand and is clearly wrong information does not add value to the site. It is for this reason more and more news websites have decided to stop allowing comments on news articles altogether (which is something I first considered).

If a guest wants the opinion of the reader on a news article, they will have to login to view it.

I'm struggling to understand what compelling story there was about the bathrooms at Twitter that had anything to do with technology. Sorry if people are obnoxious in discussing it, but it's a two-way street, right?  If Justin can bang on his pots and pans, we can at least talk about it. Otherwise, what's the point? Why drive your audience away? Either be a message board or don't. The comments and people are what keep people coming back, but if you guys just want to disable them, there are dozens of other tech sites all the same. :ermm: 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

On 13/01/2023 at 20:51, dead.cell said:

I'm struggling to understand what compelling story there was about the bathrooms at Twitter that had anything to do with technology.

we're primarily a technology focused site but that doesn't mean we're ONLY technology.

Well maybe just a post an article about this 'decision'. I had to create an account and find  this post just to know what's going on. Really, man. Or woman, whatever's wild.

On 20/01/2023 at 06:04, Orrelix Organimus said:

Well maybe just a post an article about this 'decision'. I had to create an account and find  this post just to know what's going on. Really, man. Or woman, whatever's wild.

Ohhh 'poor you'! I hope you are able to recover your mental state.

I'm actually in agreement with @Steven P. on this one, the other issue is the comment sections and a good portion of the forums have been infected by the political bile which is something advertisers just don't want front and center. 

And Neowin isn't the only tech focused site doing this, there are numerous that I visit that require a login to view & post comments.  

Hell you can't even easily get adsense on personal blogs anymore.

@Steven P. one suggestion, why not move the comment section into a forum topic the gets auto generated once the article is posted? (less maintenance in a way too since you don't have to maintain the comment section code.).  This also solves the issue of guest viewing, but alas there will be those that will still complain even with this solution.

• Like 3

On 20/01/2023 at 12:52, Matthew S. said:

I'm actually in agreement with @Steven P. on this one, the other issue is the comment sections and a good portion of the forums have been infected by the political bile which is something advertisers just don't want front and center. 

And Neowin isn't the only tech focused site doing this, there are numerous that I visit that require a login to view & post comments.  

Hell you can't even easily get adsense on personal blogs anymore.

@Steven P. one suggestion, why not move the comment section into a forum topic the gets auto generated once the article is posted? (less maintenance in a way too since you don't have to maintain the comment section code.).  This also solves the issue of guest viewing, but alas there will be those that will still complain even with this solution.

This is one thing we discussed, but that requires a code change in how comments work.. we also don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, right now we can still reverse our decision.

My immediate concern is maintaining the quality of any discussion, but far too many comments threads have derided into arguing between members or leaning on totally wrong information when it is super clear the commenter hasn't even bothered to read the article. 

Also to the people who downvoted my response to Orrelix Organimus, I would just say how would you like to go into work everyday to have to read crap like that said about you. If you want to belittle me or our staff go talk to an AI support chat bot.

On 20/01/2023 at 10:00, Steven P. said:

Ohhh 'poor you'! I hope you are able to recover your mental state.

If you had been in Africa, I would have charged you with "How very racist of you". 🙂 Luckily, my mental state isn't as degraded as that of my peers.

On 20/01/2023 at 08:30, Steven P. said:

Also to the people who downvoted my response to Orrelix Organimus, I would just say how would you like to go into work everyday to have to read crap like that said about you. If you want to belittle me or our staff go talk to an AI support chat bot.

We're downvoting your response for belittling someone who suggested that you post a notice of this change. Don't play stupid with why you're being downvoted.

As to your point, I'm not saying that would be easy. I actually support the change for the reason that it probably isn't a good image to random visitors. However, you're going to get negative feedback. That's part of journalism. Even if it's not constructive feedback, you are going to get it. That's just how it is.

On 20/01/2023 at 07:30, Steven P. said:

This is one thing we discussed, but that requires a code change in how comments work.. we also don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, right now we can still reverse our decision.

My immediate concern is maintaining the quality of any discussion, but far too many comments threads have derided into arguing between members or leaning on totally wrong information when it is super clear the commenter hasn't even bothered to read the article. 

Well, I probably wouldn't take it out on the new guy who just walked in the room for one. :ermm:

I dunno what to tell you though, you choose how you want to take things. If calling someone biased is the new "bad word" though, then I guess I should go apologize to Mobius for all the times I've called him out for strumming the same note, over and over and over...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/01/2023 at 17:16, dead.cell said:

Well, I probably wouldn't take it out on the new guy who just walked in the room for one. :ermm:

I dunno what to tell you though, you choose how you want to take things. If calling someone biased is the new "bad word" though, then I guess I should go apologize to Mobius for all the times I've called him out for strumming the same note, over and over and over...

I've taken a lot on the chin over the years, but the "new guy" calling me a woman. I suppose you think that's okay, well I don't. My poster name and avatar pic makes it clear, so it was just a dig and disrespectful response  from the "new guy".  I should know better, but sometimes things get to you I guess.

On 20/01/2023 at 11:25, Steven P. said:

I've taken a lot on the chin over the years, but the "new guy" calling me a woman. I suppose you think that's okay, well I don't. My poster name and avatar pic makes it clear, so it was just a dig and disrespectful response  from the "new guy".  I should know better, but sometimes things get to you I guess.

I missed that insinuation in his comment. I'll agree with you there.

Edited by mip
Correct wording

On 20/01/2023 at 10:25, Steven P. said:

I didn't catch that either. Goes to show how conditioned we've become where we're now just cool with people saying he/she regularly I suppose.

Alternatively, if we want to go by avatars, Nick H. is lookin great. 😛

On 20/01/2023 at 09:25, Steven P. said:

To me it came off as them not knowing, so they said Man. Or Woman.  I didn't see it as an insult.

These days, the avatar doesn't say enough to be accurate about gender. Nor does conversation usually. Point in case, everyone calls @Mobius Enigmaa "he", but their profile says female.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/01/2023 at 11:16, adrynalyne said:

To me it came off as them not knowing, so they said Man. Or Woman.  I didn't see it as an insult.

These days, the avatar doesn't say enough to be accurate about gender. Nor does conversation usually. Point in case, everyone calls @Mobius Enigmaa "he", but their profile says female.

Mind. Blown.

Now I have two apologies to make to Mobius... :ermm: 

• Haha 2

On 20/01/2023 at 16:25, Steven P. said:

My poster name and avatar pic makes it clear...

Yeah! Who would make their avatar resemble someone they're not?

Oh...hang on. :laugh:

Thread Closed

Closing the thread as it has run its course and simply devolved into throwing insults/attacks back and forth. Steve explained why the change was made, I apologize if it somehow inconveniences anyone but it is what it is; please try and understand.

--------------

On 12/01/2023 at 08:20, Steven P. said:

I want to point out that many comments are also helpful and insightful, but the negative ones usually get more traction where full blown arguments end up happening

• Dislike 2

• Brandon H locked this topic