Edge stopped honoring "Remember me" and "Remember this device" settings on all sites

Hi all,

This one's got me ready to bang my head against the wall.  Just started up last week.  Out of seemingly nowhere, Edge requires me to log in again to every site requiring a login upon closing the browser.  Even for sites where I've checked the "Remember me" or "Remember this device" option, i have to re-auth upon every new browser launch.  So, when launching Edge, and browsing to Gmail, for example, i'll have to authenticate, then approve the multifactor prompt, and i'm successfully logged in.  If I close Edge and try to get back to gmail.com, I'll immediately have to go through the entire process again, even with the option to remember me / remember this device option selected.  Same behavior (except without MFA where applicable) for every single site i regularly visit.  This is occurring on both PCs in my house that i use regularly, which are both running Win10 22H2, and using my Microsoft account to logon.

The option to clear cookies on closing Edge is not selected:

539264376_Screenshot2023-02-01172721.jpg.09d69a4a34f500a86b202e0bc419050a.jpg

How can i get back to the happy place where Edge let me tell websites to remember me?

As an attempt to reset things, I did clear all cached browsing info except passwords.  That did not affect the problem.  And I do have Edge set to allow the use of cookies:

image.png.3378977549abe641aab8c743f542f98d.png

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• BeerFan changed the title to Edge stopped honoring "Remember me" and "Remember this device" settings on all sites

Feeling a little sheepish about this, but still don't understand exactly what the cause / fix, specifically, was.

Update:  I completely logged out of my Edge profile on my laptop.  Then shut it down.  Next, cleared all cached data except passwords (again) on my desktop, and rebooted it.  After logging back on, and signing in once to my normal sites, something seems to have fixed the issue.  I can now close and re-launch Edge, and it will remember my logins.

My settings on the laptop were the same, though.  So I'm struggling to understand how logging out on that device would have fixed the issue on this desktop.

Guess I'll have to see what happens once I set Edge back up with my profile on the laptop.  Odd that this happened at all.

On 01/02/2023 at 18:49, BeerFan said:

Feeling a little sheepish about this, but still don't understand exactly what the cause / fix, specifically, was.

Update:  I completely logged out of my Edge profile on my laptop.  Then shut it down.  Next, cleared all cached data except passwords (again) on my desktop, and rebooted it.  After logging back on, and signing in once to my normal sites, something seems to have fixed the issue.  I can now close and re-launch Edge, and it will remember my logins.

My settings on the laptop were the same, though.  So I'm struggling to understand how logging out on that device would have fixed the issue on this desktop.

Guess I'll have to see what happens once I set Edge back up with my profile on the laptop.  Odd that this happened at all.

I mean, I'd argue many of us might not know the cause of issues like this without some digging into logs, if any. It's just become commonplace troubleshooting for me to do exactly what you did: sign out, clear settings or factory reset them, and/or reinstall the software itself as a basic guideline.

On 01/02/2023 at 19:06, dead.cell said:

I mean, I'd argue many of us might not know the cause of issues like this without some digging into logs, if any. It's just become commonplace troubleshooting for me to do exactly what you did: sign out, clear settings or factory reset them, and/or reinstall the software itself as a basic guideline.

Yeah, i hear you. Thanks.  I guess i'd just like to know how to prevent it from happening again.  Suppose I could just not sync my Edge profile on it.  I frequently use that machine as a tester anyway.  In fact, I now remember having the exact same issue on that device when testing an insider build of Windows 11 on it a few months ago.

On 01/02/2023 at 19:43, BeerFan said:

Yeah, i hear you. Thanks.  I guess i'd just like to know how to prevent it from happening again.  Suppose I could just not sync my Edge profile on it.  I frequently use that machine as a tester anyway.  In fact, I now remember having the exact same issue on that device when testing an insider build of Windows 11 on it a few months ago.

Honestly, I'd just roll with it. Software issues can occasionally crop up for a variety of reasons, which is what makes the syncing worthwhile so that, should you need to, you can always blow up an installation, sign back in, and be over it within minutes.

My only recommendation for browsers is to occasionally back up your bookmarks. You can do that for passwords in Edge as well, but I'd sooner recommend Bitwarden or some service like it over using the browser itself for passwords. Best of luck dude!