Solid State Sata Drive for Data Storage?

Hello,

I have a few DVDs, Blu-rays, and now UHD (4K) discs that I watch.  I got a UHD player at the end of 2019.  Before that, I had a Blu-ray player that I purchased around 2010(?).  One thing I noticed is that UHD disc video is a lot crisper and more detailed than streamed video at 4K.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yeah streaming 4k or watching it off your UHD -- still just a bluray optical disk..  Most likely a 100GB version, and yeah they allow for much higher spec on the video up to 128Mbps normally with a resolution of 3840 × 2160 so yeah I would hope its better than the "4k" you stream off say netflix.. But you can still steam that video off your "plex" server ;) that you ripped from your UHD copy.

Keep in mind that a UHD video rip is prob upwards of 50GB in size, etc.  So you do need a bit of space if you want a big library... But disks are pretty reasonable these days I picked up a couple 18TB not that long ago..  So roughly one of those could hold 300 some movies without much trouble.. But my movies are not in 4k I just do 1080, and mine are pretty compressed, etc.  Most videophile would laugh and quality of my library to be honest.. But then again I really can not tell much difference - older eyes maybe ;) While sure love to have them all in highest possible quality, etc.   But that can lead to some serious bucks to do that..

• Like 2

Hello,

I did purchase a Plex license a few couple of years ago during one of their lifetime holiday licenses and I do eventually plan to make backup copies of all of my discs, but have not yet set up the server or make archives of my discs.  I actually want to make 1:1 copies of all of the media, without re-encoding any of it using a different codec or in a different format.  The discs definitely will consume a lot of disk space, but it's also true that the cost of disk space is constantly falling, and it is pretty easy to mirror disks, perform differential file copies, make RAID arrays, and so forth.  One of these days I'll get around to setting it all up; it has just not been a priority for me.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 15/02/2023 at 11:54, BudMan said:

Off subject a bit - but who still watches off dvd?  ;)

You'd be surprised! I work as a picker at Amazon as a second job to my repair business, and I pick a hell of a lot MORE DVD's than BluRay discs, at least a 10:1 ratio. DVD's to me are obsolete, they look awful upscaled on modern TV's. You'd think with Sony pushing Bluray so hard back in 2006 with the PS3 that the adoption would be higher.

I'm noticing it with torrents too. 480p SD rips get more seeders than 1080p and 2160p rips. People are weird......

You will never reach or exceed the TBW of a modern SSD in normal usage, even for backups. You would need to be continuously writing to the drive non stop for years to get there, and that's just the lowest capacity models which have a lower TBW.

SSD write  endurance issues are an old gen SSD issue, anything made in the last few years has no such issue.

For example, I will quote as as always, someone has already done the math, and this relates to old small SSDs with much smaller TBW, so the years are even higher for larger moden SSDs.

For example, the Samsung SSD 850 PRO SATA is stated to be “built to handle 150 terabytes written (TBW), which equates to a 40 GB daily read/write workload over a ten-year period.” Samsung promises that the product is “withstanding up to 600 terabytes written (TBW).” If we consider a normal office user to write somewhere between 10 and 35 GB a day, even if one raises this amount up to 40 GB, it means that they could write for more than five years until they reach the 70 TBW limit.

I have an 8TB Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD used as documents initially but now in a USB 3.1 enclosure and used for backups. It is currently at 99% health remaining with over 21TB written.