WiFi Is in trouble

My Wi-Fi seems to have halved in speed and power the last few weeks, as a simple example my Phone used to show 4 bars as to strength of signal, now I'm lucky if it hits one. My ISP says It's not their problem, there must be something local causing my now rubbish signal, I even have my Alexas dropping out, and that never happened before.

A few questions come to mind......

How old is your wireless router? What is the brand? They tend to get worse as time goes by.

What has changed lately with your service? Did you change or add things to your equipment or service?

Have you tried Speed Test to see what your signal strength is? https://www.speedtest.net/

What type of ISP do you have? Broadband, FiOS?

Can your ISP test the signal to your house to see if the slowdown is outside of your residence?

All of these things would be important to know to help you.

On 18/02/2023 at 16:08, NinjaGinger said:

My Wi-Fi seems to have halved in speed and power the last few weeks, as a simple example my Phone used to show 4 bars as to strength of signal, now I'm lucky if it hits one. My ISP says It's not their problem, there must be something local causing my now rubbish signal, I even have my Alexas dropping out, and that never happened before.

Rule #1, always buy your own equipment, even if the ISP gives it to you for free. It's the lowest quality stuff, probably been used and abused prior to you ever having it and you have little control over settings vs your own setup.

I doubt we'll be able to help you much. Whenever I hear someone having wifi or internet issues, it's always someone with rented equipment. Are you slow when hardwired, even though you indicated your wifi signal strength has dramatically decreased? I'd also disconnect any other network enabled device in your house when you test hardwired.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go get a new modem at Best Buy for about 50 bucks, and a nice mesh network like an erro 3 mesh for $180 and call it a day.

I'd go out and a limb, per the other members asking here, that if you stand next to it, your performance is going to be just as bad, particularly if both your iPhone (a moving connection) is just as bad as an item that doesn't move (your Alexas). 

Power cycle it if you haven't already, if you can factory reset it it, maybe do that too, otherwise, see #1.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/02/2023 at 17:10, shockz said:

Rule #1, always buy your own equipment, even if the ISP gives it to you for free. It's the lowest quality stuff, probably been used and abused prior to you ever having it and you have little control over settings vs your own setup.

One ISP I know of does Eero Pro 6Es, so I would say ymmv.

You need to run a wifi analyzer program to see how many neighbors are on the same channel as you. If you can change channels on your router to a less used channel that might help. Alternately, many routers are set to Automatic channel selection and setting yours to the lowest channel (e.g. 1 or 36) may force others whose routers are  set to Automatic off your channel onto a higher channel which also might help.

On 18/02/2023 at 21:24, Warwagon said:

I'm assuming you've already power cycled the router? How is your signal strength standing in close proximity?

Yes, I cycled it and my phone is less than 2 feet from the router. Originally I had the DG2600 but changed it to the DG2800, that made no difference, so I went for a ASUS DL-AX820 as it is Wi-Fi 6, but that didn't help either. And next idea, please.

So you changed the router and you're still getting the same signal interference?

All wireless devices are showing the same connectivity issues?

Are wired devices showing network issues?

What else has changed since the problems started?

On 19/02/2023 at 02:52, NinjaGinger said:

Yes, I cycled it and my phone is less than 2 feet from the router. Originally I had the DG2600 but changed it to the DG2800, that made no difference, so I went for a ASUS DL-AX820 as it is Wi-Fi 6, but that didn't help either. And next idea, please.

At this point you might want to put an app on your phone or computer which analyzes wifi channels. To see if you have a lot of interference on a certain channel.

I'd say two feet is a little too close, make sure you're not using 2.4ghz since it has almost no channels and is subject to interference from a lot of things, and check if moving your router elsewhere improves things.

On 19/02/2023 at 03:58, Nick H. said:

All wireless devices are showing the same connectivity issues?

Have the same question.. You mention your phone is showing low.. And your alexa is having problems.  Any other devices - laptop or tablet you could check signal strength with. 

If you changed out your router with 2 different ones - and your still seeing low signal.. That would seem to rule out bad router..  Did you alexa issues go away after changing the router?  The suggested app that shows you details of other ssid and their strengths would be good idea sure.  Also there is a developers app you can install on your iphone (if that is what you have) to give you some more details.

example

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/

Screenshot2023-02-19at11_21_03AM.png.thumb.png.2df4c4c4279118213a16d80c06804b1f.png

Does your phone work fine and show good signals on other wifi network - say your local starbucks, or your friends house?

Try to connect to 5Ghz frequency band if you can get a decent signal.

To have control over this you may need to rename the SSID in the wi-fi router settings for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

Then connect to the 5Ghz network (if you can get a decent signal). Unfortunately, from my experience the device will usually connect to the 2.4Ghz band even if 5Ghz DOES have a good signal, only because the 2.4Ghz is ALWAYS stronger than the 5Ghz UNLESS you are a meter apart.

1) 5Ghz offers faster speeds than 2.4Ghz but usually a lower signal strength than 2.4Ghz.

2) Bluetooth and microwaves runs on 2.4Ghz therefore you'd face less interference with 5Ghz. When using my bluetooth speakers in the same room as my wi-fi connection to 2.4Ghz, my speed would drop to almost un-usable dial-up speeds despite having a fibre optic connection. Difference is extreme. 

On 19/02/2023 at 14:40, Warwagon said:

At this point you might want to put an app on your phone or computer which analyzes wifi channels. To see if you have a lot of interference on a certain channel.

The signal is that bad, I can only just see mine, I used to see about 6 different devices/Networks, now it only just picks up mine on the app.

On 19/02/2023 at 22:44, NinjaGinger said:

The signal is that bad, I can only just see mine, I used to see about 6 different devices/Networks, now it only just picks up mine on the app.

Sounds to me your phone wifi is the problem

On 19/02/2023 at 15:44, NinjaGinger said:

I can only just see mine, I used to see about 6 different devices/Networks

I am with @ErikTheVthen - if you only see yours, and you use to see way more - that sure seems to point to your device..

Or some serious interference killing everything  - and yours is the only thing strong enough to even punch through..

On 19/02/2023 at 23:37, BudMan said:

I am with @ErikTheVthen - if you only see yours, and you use to see way more - that sure seems to point to your device..

Or some serious interference killing everything  - and yours is the only thing strong enough to even punch through..

Regarding interference bear in mind what I mentioned about 2.4Ghz 😉 

On 19/02/2023 at 17:53, Software Dev Expert said:

Regarding interference bear in mind what I mentioned about 2.4Ghz 😉 

Anything running a motor can also interfere with 2.4 IIRC.  I'm sure there are other things as well.

I'd guess the phone got damaged somehow, but wouldn't know.

On 20/02/2023 at 02:52, NinjaGinger said:

at 5mhz

What is 5mhz?  And what does that have to do with wifi?

There is the 2.4ghz band, there is the 5ghz band - there is 20mhz channels, there 40, 80 and even 160mhz channels..  At a loss to what 5mhz is in reference too?

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 14:40, Warwagon said:

Which are the good ones? I use Innsider for PC but which are good for the phones? Many apps on the phones seem to give little information. Or require an external device. Very few I see for the phones/tablets have been good or any detailed stuff.

On 21/02/2023 at 09:00, vf- said:

Which are the good ones? I use Innsider for PC but which are good for the phones? Many apps on the phones seem to give little information. Or require an external device. Very few I see for the phones/tablets have been good or any detailed stuff.

You see BudMan's link?

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/

phones are just as powerful as computers these days..

my link doesn't scan or show that sort of info - but it does show you detailed info about the network your actually connected too.

Yeah phones, especially iphones are pretty useless in that sort of scanning - best to use a laptop for that sort of stuff.

here is the one I use to use

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wifi-analyzer/

But haven't had need really since moved to unifi AP, years ago - my wifi just works.. and is rock solid stable.. And no matter were I test in the house on my phone I see speeds of what I should see 400 to 500mbps.. and if want to look for near by wifi networks and their strengths - I can see that in the controller and see which ap they are closest too and what strengths and channels they are on, etc.

On 21/02/2023 at 10:06, BudMan said:

my link doesn't scan or show that sort of info - but it does show you detailed info about the network your actually connected too.

Yeah, that's what I meant, sry.. It doesn't scan anything, but does get you information about your network. ;)

On 21/02/2023 at 09:00, vf- said:

Wifiman seems to be released by Ubiquiti and gives you plenty of information on nearby networks.  I only just started using it on my droid.

On 21/02/2023 at 16:06, BudMan said:

Yeah phones, especially iphones are pretty useless in that sort of scanning - best to use a laptop for that sort of stuff.

here is the one I use to use

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wifi-analyzer/

But haven't had need really since moved to unifi AP, years ago - my wifi just works.. and is rock solid stable.. And no matter were I test in the house on my phone I see speeds of what I should see 400 to 500mbps.. and if want to look for near by wifi networks and their strengths - I can see that in the controller and see which ap they are closest too and what strengths and channels they are on, etc.

I really like this. Had to get one of those 5Ghz AC USB adapters for the laptop to see what was being used for the 5Ghz channels. I'm the only one in the area. Everyone else is BT Hubs on 2.4Ghz bands. 6, 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi in the area including mine.

The iPhone WiFi apps are pretty garbage. One of them, nOversight was suggesting I use channel 163. Channel 36 is reaching the other end of the house with -58 RSSI. As well as channel 11 for 2.4Ghz. With wifi-analyzer channel 6 is showing the best with -66 RSSI from the other end of the house as well. Since this program gives me live readings positioning the antennas making it easier to dial in the best signal.

Channel quality 9 out of 10

Signal quality 7 out of 10

Network security 8 out of 10

Transmission Speed 8 out of 10

802.11n standards 5 out of 10

Avg. Network Quality 7/10

Edited by vf-