Microsoft Modern USB-C Speaker for large conference calls

Teams is going to allow you to specify one speaker and microphone, not multiple. 

This is the wrong hardware for a large conference table\room, the one linked is for home\small offices. Look at Poly - https://www.poly.com/au/en/solutions/platform/microsoft/phones, have multiple Trio units and they work well, along with other sync and handsets devices.

Yep, good things cost money - if your company is serious about it, they'll pony up the money.

I have a Sync 20 and CCX500 on my desk, both have native Teams clients and work well.

Edited by binaryzero

On 28/02/2023 at 01:30, Son_Of_Dad said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-modern-usb-c-speaker/8x0j3n3xdlp5#overview

Does anyone know if you can connect multiple speakers to a laptop in order to cover a large conferencing table?

I am going to say, probably not. I have one, and its just a speakerphone really.

Hello,

Just to echo @binaryzero's comment, that Microsoft Modern USB-C Speaker is designed to give a single office worker a speakerphone.  It is not designed to be used as a conference room/meeting room solution.  There are dedicated devices from companies like Avaya, Cisco, Konftel, Poly(com), Yamaha, Yealink, and so forth that specifically make devices to do this. 

Creating these types of conference room phones is a something of a speciality, even amongst telephone handset manufacturers, because of how they need to handle input from multiple point sources from different locations at different volumes, deal with echo cancellation/feedback from multiple microphone sources, etc.  A previous employer made VoIP telephony systems, including various types of handsets, and even they decided not to make this type because it was cost prohibitive (they went with supporting several models from different vendors, instead).

Typical cost for a decent conference room speaker phone is going to be between $400-9000, then ~$200 for each additional external microphone element.  If you see devices priced below that, they probably aren't going to work (and sound) as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky