Knoppix

Hi :)

I am a new user of Knoppix. I have a problem with it though: It does not detect my modem. When I query my modem, it says that it cannot detect my modem. Please help me. All comments are appreciated. Thanks :)

EDIT: Also, the time is not shown correctly in the taskbar. I have already set the time zone and country but still it does not help.

Edited by frease

a) This is a DSL modem, correct?

b) What errors did you get - that will probably be the only method...

I had really bad problems getting a DSL modem to function in Linux correctly, so I just bought a router. With the prices they are at nowadays, you'll probably find that it's not worth bothering with a nasty DSL modem and instead ethernet is the way to go.

most ethernet cards and modems are supported by the kernel. If its not working then it is not supported, or you/distro have done something wrong. get the drivers for that and make sure they are being loaded and not other ones.

Well in the UK we have standardized on the far better PPPoA (considering the whole telephone network is ATM and not ethernet/IP it seems a better idea to me). Actually, pretty much everywhere apart from N. America use PPPoA instead of PPPoE. Since Linux didn't come with a PPPoA module I'm not sure what to suggest.

aldo:

a)Yes

b) I'll track them and paste here.

However I am using the instructions on this page to install a package to make my modem work with Linux. Here is the webpage:

http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/modems.php?lang=en

And I don't even know if I am installing it right because even after following the instructions in the package, I can't install it. Please help me if you understand the instructions clearer.

Webgraph:

Nope, my DSL is not PPPoE.

Here's the error messages I got when using query modem:

Under Device tab - Modem device (tried all available options under the drop down menu)

-unable to open modem

-the modem does not respond

-the modem is busy

fred666:

Thanks for your suggestion. But I am not getting myself a router just for the sake of using Linux. I can just stick with my current modem until it dies out.

Anyway I am now trying out Damn Small Linux. Hopefully I have some luck at it.