Can a USB 2.5 Gig Adapter Make a Game Lag?

Wondering if using a USB Sabrent 2.5 Gig Adapter can cause lag in Online Multiplayer Games?  like Battlefield 2042?    Had stuttering, slow frame rates, 

I know my Video isn't exactly Recommended model for that game,  but soon as i can afford a RTX 3060 will grab one, and fully meet the Game Recommended Requirements 

XB7 Gateway is my Modem/Router and WIfi

Already adjusted the graphic settings a bit lower, hopefully that helps when i play it again later

I setup the USB 2.5 Gig adapter to get the full provisioned speed on Comcast Gigabit Internet package, but if it causes issues, guess i'll just settle for 940Mbps or about download, and rated upload all i can get

**Been playing the game for months, and only occasionally had this stuttering and slow frame rates, other times its ran as fine as it can with my current video card**

It is possible, but it depends what's actually causing the lag.  You can run a few bufferbloat tests to see if changing some settings will help, at least.

Stuttering is more likely to be an overworked system in gaming unless uploading or downloading while you play is common.

On 13/04/2023 at 08:07, bikeman25 said:

Wondering if using a USB Sabrent 2.5 Gig Adapter can cause lag in Online Multiplayer Games?  like Battlefield 2042?    Had stuttering, slow frame rates, 

I know my Video isn't exactly Recommended model for that game,  but soon as i can afford a RTX 3060 will grab one, and fully meet the Game Recommended Requirements 

XB7 Gateway is my Modem/Router and WIfi

Already adjusted the graphic settings a bit lower, hopefully that helps when i play it again later

I setup the USB 2.5 Gig adapter to get the full provisioned speed on Comcast Gigabit Internet package, but if it causes issues, guess i'll just settle for 940Mbps or about download, and rated upload all i can get

**Been playing the game for months, and only occasionally had this stuttering and slow frame rates, other times its ran as fine as it can with my current video card**

Ensure that the connection is full duplex

In PowerShell:

Get-NetAdapter | SELECT name, LinkSpeed, fullduplex | ft -autosize

If it shows half duplex, change your lan cable

Well after running Power shell command,  does show Full duplex for Ethernet 2 (2.5gig usb adapter)   

Install the latest PowerShell for new features and improvements! https://aka.ms/PSWindows

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetAdapter | SELECT name, LinkSpeed, fullduplex | ft -autosize

name                         LinkSpeed fullduplex
----                         --------- ----------
Wi-Fi                        0 bps
Ethernet                     0 bps
Bluetooth Network Connection 3 Mbps    True
Ethernet 2                   2.5 Gbps  True

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Game did run better late last night for some reason, but made sure nothing else was going on with system at the time played 11pm-1:30am,  at first start of the round had a little bit of lag, but as game progressed lag seemed to go away in rounds 2 and 3,  so it was enjoyable after that for reminder of playtime.     System built in ethernet is only 1gig connection,  which unforuately doesn't get me full speed on Comcast 1gig plan,  or Gigabit Extra plan i was on a while back

Though did have HBO Max freeze up on 4K Smart Tv downstairs in living room,  not sure why it did that, as that TV is also wired with whatever ethernet connection rated at for that TV.    most likely probably be good idea today if i restart gateway modem in a few here i think

Ok will look into possibly getting a PCie 2.5gig card if i really do need that extra bandwidth provided.     

Meanwhile make due with current setup i guess til get the PCie 2.5gig card

Hello,

Yes, if there are delays in data transfer on the USB interface due to power management, bus contention from other devices, etc., then these can can show up as latency or jitter on the network connection.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I've noticed better Wi-Fi performance with other USB Wi-Fi adapters.

I use a USB 3.0 Realtek 8812BU on a boosted cable. The dongle has two nice multi-directional antenna. Since switching to this from a much older USB 2.0 LinkSys dongle, my connection has been stronger and as such faster. So my recommendation would be to get a newer and higher quality dongle that has extended antennas.

Theres two questions here:

Can a bad network adapter cause lag - yes.

Can it cause 'Had stuttering, slow frame rates,' - no.

Lag would be slow network response or seeing delays in what happens in the game. What you're describing is that your computer can't handle the game you're playing.

Well it used to handle the game just fine as been running this game for a long while,   have 1,083 Hours of playing the game.     dust clean out of system done monthly with my electric air duster, and sometimes cordless one as well to make sure i get the video card as good as i can.   

Do have a Can of Compressed air as well with some air left in it,  might also hit the fans with that Saturday during upcoming scheduled dust clean out.  

**Thought about unscrewing video card from PCie slot, and carefully removing the 8Pin Power cable, and  cleaning the cards fans even better,  though going further in cleaning it. Im not comfortable with it that much,  like changing the thermal pads or repasting the video chip.     Hopefully i can just keep the fans as free as i can of dust and it will continue working fine**

And been on Windows 11 Pro 64bit since the game launched, and was installed on Launch day back then.  

Guess will have to continue saving for a RTX 3060 or 3060Ti or 3070 in the future,  as not sure my system could handle a 40 Series card, as currently it's Intel 10700 with 32GB of Ram,  Pagefile System Managed, never touched that since got 32GB of Ram nor did a clean install since upgraded the Ram,  last clean install was 9/20/2021 when Bluetooth had an unrecoverable error at the time.     Upgraded the Ram Christmas 2021

Power supply EVGA G3 650 Watt ((might upgrade that first before i get the newer video card in the future))

I suppose if it comes to it, i could try another clean install in the future or in the coming days if i find the time to.  

The data storage drive that holds Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos WD Black 4TB drive  also  been tested and passed fine with Western digital diagnostics, took a while to scan it,  but no problems was found with that

Game SSD stores the Actual game on Samsung 860 1TB Sata SSD

M.2 NvMe Boot drive Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Phoenix Controller)  shows to be fine as well

Edited by bikeman25