• IE Alternative (MyIE2, etc)
    • Netscape
    • Safari
    • Konqueror
    • Lynx
    • K-Meleon
    • Other

Originally posted by crackhbob

Is it possible to disable the splash screen that displays every time Netscape 6 is started?

Applies To: Netscape 6.1; All Windows platforms

Yes. Right click on your desktop shortcut and choose properties. In the 'Target' box, add a space and then "-quiet" (minus the quotes) to the END of the path. When done, it should look similar to this:

"C:Program FilesNetscapeNscp61netscp6.exe" -quiet

You can combine this with other options such as the profile switch. In that case, it may look like this:

"C:Program FilesNetscapeNscp61netscp6.exe" -P "jdoe" -quiet

Obviously, your path and profile names may differ.

Thanks! I didn't know that you can disable the splash in Netscape 6.1! And also, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who chose Netscape 6.x/Mozilla as their favorite browser! :D

Ah, I dunno! Maybe it's that I've been using Netscape since version 4.04 and therefore, I just went "Oh what the heck!" ! Another factor is that I got like 4 other browsers on my PC!

Hah! 30 GB is more than enough for me, even though I use so many programs, download lots of songs, and work on many documents and images! :D I got so much crap and yet, I only used about 6 - 7 GB on both Linux and Windows Partitions!

Well I have 17.5GB total and it is always running out. It doesn't help that I have a terribly slow old CD writer and so cannot be bothered to put stuff on CD most of the time.

LOL, you said MB! If it was MB then I would really be in trouble, DOS would take up most of that space! :D

But yes I have 17.5GB and most of it is used up. I have a Windows 2000 and a Windows XP partition and both take up a lot of space because I have many of the same apps installed such as Visual Studio.

Pab, I meant GB! Sorry for the typo! Also, kennymoens, I beg to differ there! IE 6 is more unstable than Netscape 6.1 and Mozilla Build# 2001082403! Page loading in IE 6 takes more than twice as long as I have tested!

Well I don't know what you base stability on because I have never had any problems with IE 6, it has been the most stable ever by far for me. And from my experience from Mozilla page loading is no quicker than IE either.

Pab, different computers will provide different results! Also, does IE have language packs? No, they just have Localized versions, which require the entire program to be re-downloaded again. Netscape 6.1 allows you to install region and language packs without having to re-download the entire web browser! I think those language packs should work in Mozilla as well.

Language packs... lol. I've never found a need for a different language... the annoying thing was once I download a beta version of WMP7 'cept it was in Chinese, Korea or something like that.

I nearly cried. ;)

Language packs are not a feature to shout about! Most people don't use them at all, it is just as easy for them to just have one copy in the language they need.

You'll have to do better than that!

Oh ok! I wouldn't know that since in Canada, we are bilingual! :D You can pursue me all you want, but it will not work as I have tested both and I know the results! :)

Bonjour! j'habite le republique de Manitobah LMAO :D:D:D

talk about bilingual.....

Oh Canada!

I know lotsa bilingual ppl up here in Canada, my grandparents, my cousins....

if its true that IE6 is slower than Mozilla, i'm stayin with mozilla lol *plays around with the irc proggie on mozilla*

this is creepy....mozilla IS faster than IE6 at loading websites, it usually takes me a min with my 28.8 connection to get to neowin, but with mozilla its like only a few seconds...strange

Well, Silvorgold! That's good if you find Mozilla faster than IE 6! Since when I use either Netscape 6.1 or Mozilla Build 2001082403, it takes only 2-3 seconds to load Neowin or download.cnet.com ! But when I use IE 6, it takes like a minute! :confused: So that proves my point about different browsers workign better on different computers! :D

One thing you are unfortunately doing that screws up your test is going to a remote site on the internet. The only way you can assure that it is not a difference in bandwidth served at the time, etc is to load a decently large site on over a local 10baseT or 100baseTX connection. Don't for get that one browser may be faster at loading DHTML, displaying flash, etc etc. Also it sounds like a cache issue as well.

• 6 months later...