(mac) Aiport Questions

SPeedY_B

I'm thinking about getting an Airport card for my mac (along with the station obviously) now am I right in thinking the following:

DSL/Phoneline -> DSL Modem (D-Link DSL300G+) -> AirPort Base -> Thin Air+2 Walls -> G4+AirPort Card

Also I'm considering getting an iBook sometime, and I'll get an AirPort card in there too, allowing me to sit in the lounge/kitchen/dining room/bedroom on the net (right?) but will the 2 macs be able to see each other (ie: Rendezvous and file sharing etc)? or just use the same net connection?

Hope that makes sense :D :D

Elliott

Yea, that setup looks right. And they'll both be connected via Rendezvous.

NeoMayhem

As long as you are within the range limits it will work fine ;)

Chad

I don't think I can stress enough on this....DO NOT BUY THE APPLE BRANDED BASE STATION. It's crap...basically. The signal strength is quite a bit worse than any other wireless router out there, and it's about 2x as expensive. Do yourself a favor and get a Linksys or Netgear.

NeoMayhem
I don't think I can stress enough on this....DO NOT BUY THE APPLE BRANDED BASE STATION. It's crap...basically. The signal strength is quite a bit worse than any other wireless router out there, and it's about 2x as expensive. Do yourself a favor and get a Linksys or Netgear.

Its not crap, but compared to what you can get for a lot less it is not worth it...

The built in print server is not available on many other routers, and the software the airport base has to configure it is sweet :p

SPeedY_B

Well it's being bought for me as a present, so the price isn't a huge deal, and I just want something that's nice and easy to use (I don't have a f-ing clue when it comes to this sort of stuff)

If I did get a different wireless router, what would I need in the mac? Are the Airport cards compatible with other routers than the AirPort base?

The base will only have to go through 2 thin walls to reach here or a floor to reach the lounge, surely it can handle that? the furthest I'd ever possibly need it is in the Garden which from where the base would be is 2 inner walls and the outside brick wall away.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, like I say.. I don't have a clue :)

aaron901

it's not crap. but yes, consider it very expensive since you can get the same thing for a lot less.

Chad
it's not crap. but yes, consider it very expensive since you can get the same thing for a lot less.

Ok....crap for an Apple product :)

NeoMayhem
Well it's being bought for me as a present, so the price isn't a huge deal, and I just want something that's nice and easy to use (I don't have a f-ing clue when it comes to this sort of stuff)

If I did get a different wireless router, what would I need in the mac? Are the Airport cards compatible with other routers than the AirPort base?

The base will only have to go through 2 thin walls to reach here or a floor to reach the lounge, surely it can handle that? the furthest I'd ever possibly need it is in the Garden which from where the base would be is 2 inner walls and the outside brick wall away.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, like I say.. I don't have a clue :)

Range should be fine unless you have a 2.4ghz phone or something like that. The airport cards will work find with any 802.11b/g wireless products. G is the faster one that it sounds like you want.

If I had the money I would get the apple base staion, but if you dont need the extra features just get a linksys one or something, they are not a lot harder to setup and work just as well ;)

SPeedY_B

Well the base would be 54mb, my PMac would only be 11mb (only carrying a 512k DSL connection, so no big deal).. however any future machines (the iBook I'm considering) would be 54mb.

I'm still quite keen on getting the AirPort stuff.