Fingers, and Fizzy Pop Bubbles

Why is it, that whenever you pour some newly brought pop into a glass, the bubbles (that usually take up half the damn cup) move really slowly. However, when you put your finger into the center of the bubbles, they move at 'warp' speed? Hmmm... sTrAnGe :)

Originally posted by King Mustard  

Why is it, that whenever you pour some newly brought pop into a glass, the bubbles (that usually take up half the damn cup) move really slowly. However, when you put your finger into the center of the bubbles, they move at 'warp' speed? Hmmm... sTrAnGe :)

Really! I must try sticking my fingers into my drinks :D

in short.. it's surface tension... your fingers have germs and salty minerals that break the surface tension... try to test it with a clear and clean object and it will not break the surface tension...

I wonder if this issue have anything to do with computing...

Hummm....I thought the bubbles where slow because when atoms are cold they compact and move at slower speeds (solids - not very active). However, when you pour warm soda, the bubbles are faster moving because they (atoms) are warm and the atoms are further apart(liquid - very active atoms).

I figured that the bubbles moved fast when the finger dipped because of the heat from the finger.

Oh well...useless science classes....

How do they get the bubbles in? Do they put them in individually or do they put bait in the soda to lure them in?

Also, how come when I fart in my soda the bubbles go up instantly, yet with soda they come up slowly and not all at once??? :s

Originally posted by mortensen  

Also, how come when I fart in my soda the bubbles go up instantly, yet with soda they come up slowly and not all at once??? :s

because farts are warm (usually) while the bubles (or gas) in soda is ice cold (or colder)