Microsoft discontinues the MVP Reconnect Program

@goretskyposted this in one of our staff forums earlier, it was made known at the start of the week in a notice to former MVPs.

Personally I never felt much for the MVP program, I was invited in 2004 but at the time it seemed like Microsoft wanted to control Neowin, so I declined and I never applied or was invited after that. Neowin's independence was more important than corporate blessing.

Important Update on the MVP Reconnect Program

The Microsoft MVP Program will be discontinuing the MVP Reconnect program as of May 18 due to updates in our program. We recognize the importance of staying connected as a community and here’s how you can stay engaged today:

Discover our Microsoft communities.

Visit the Microsoft Tech Community to find answers, ask questions, build skills and network with various communities and Microsoft Product Groups including AI and Machine LearningAzureMicrosoft 365Windows and many more!

Connect in Teams.

Communities in Microsoft Teams are available to you for free. Connect with other community members by creating a shared space to engage in conversations, host community calls, share files and photos in a secure way. You get to set guidelines for engaging with community members. Create a community in Teams today.

Claim your MVP alumni badge.

Your MVP alumni badge is yours to claim! To accept this badge, please complete this form [aka.ms/MVPAlumniBadge].You will then receive an email from admin@credly.com with the subject line: “You just earned a badge from Microsoft…”. Follow the steps in that email to claim your badge. This badge may be attached to your social media credentials such as LinkedIn. By sharing your badge to LinkedIn from Credly, anyone can click on the badge and learn more about your skills and verify your certification’s authenticity.

Regardless of your involvement in the MVP program, we do look forward to seeing all the great things you'll do for the community.

Thank you,
Microsoft MVP Program Team

Do we have MVPs here that have been affected by this decision?

wow I thought they stopped this years ago, there was a big thing about it probably 10yrs ago about getting rid of MVP's when their newsgroup servers were shutting down

Hello,

Just to be clear, I shared information about the program's closure, but not that particular message from Microsoft.  That said, it has been floating around the internet in various Facebook groups, as well as in other web forums like MajorGeeks.

I enjoyed my time as a Microsoft MVP, and all my interactions with the program's staff and fellow MVPs were top-notch.  I certainly understand why I was not re-awarded, though, and don't have any ill-will towards them about that.  I left Microsoft's MVP program in good standing, and was readily welcomed into its alumni program.

Rather than reiterate what I've already written about the alumni program, here are links to my posts on Facebook and Mastodon discussing its closure.

For those who might be concerned that this means some change in what I do here or in other places around the web to help answer questions, I'll just say that I was helping people for many years before I received my first Microsoft MVP Award, and intend to keep doing so as long as I'm able.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 months later...
On 20/05/2023 at 01:26, goretsky said:

Hello,

Just to be clear, I shared information about the program's closure, but not that particular message from Microsoft.  That said, it has been floating around the internet in various Facebook groups, as well as in other web forums like MajorGeeks.

I enjoyed my time as a Microsoft MVP, and all my interactions with the program's staff and fellow MVPs were top-notch.  I certainly understand why I was not re-awarded, though, and don't have any ill-will towards them about that.  I left Microsoft's MVP program in good standing, and was readily welcomed into its alumni program.

Rather than reiterate what I've already written about the alumni program, here are links to my posts on Facebook and Mastodon discussing its closure.

For those who might be concerned that this means some change in what I do here or in other places around the web to help answer questions, I'll just say that I was helping people for many years before I received my first Microsoft MVP Award, and intend to keep doing so as long as I'm able.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

My views are the same as Aryeh.

or those who might be concerned that this means some change in what I do here or in other places around the web to help answer questions, I'll just say that I was helping people for many years before I received my first Microsoft MVP Award, and intend to keep doing so as long as I'm able.

I had an excellent run of 12 years and the admin of one of the forums I serve in still allow me to use that title. I removed it, but it was put back, so all is good. i can confirm that Microsoft never interfered with any of my views at any time, and I was fully independent and detached at all times in all my communications with them