XP and Overclockers >:S

Ooo.. i am REALLY :mad: ****ed :mad: at this one. I recently unlocked an althon, and on the computer happened to be on Windows XP. So i start with a modest 100MhZ overclock, by changing the multiplyer (obviously). Ok, its all fine. BIOS recognizes new speed fine and all. Temp stays fine. BUT WINDOWS WONT LET ME DO THAT! I get a BSOD (blue screen of death) SAYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT EVERY TIME (usually about the hard drive/file systems, sometimes gives nothing but a hex adress...). WTF IS UP WITH THAT??!?!?!

I have tried this on the 180 day RTM AND on the other betas AND on the "corporate" versions (BTW this was even done BEFORE i did the WPA!!! on all versions except corp), and cant get rid of the poblem until i change the clock speed back. I AM ****ED. Anyone have comments/suggestions/similar problems?

>:G

Your OS is installed for a certain frequency and then you change it, ofcourse your OS will not allow that... If that can be done, then I can just install the OS on other computer and then just take the hard drive and stick it in mine... which that isn't possible....

Originally posted by Krome  

Your OS is installed for a certain frequency and then you change it, ofcourse your OS will not allow that... If that can be done, then I can just install the OS on other computer and then just take the hard drive and stick it in mine... which that isn't possible....

THAT'S THE MOST STUPID THING I'VE HEARD IN AGES!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really think that after someone Overclocks their CPU they have to reinstall their OS!!! Give a break!!!

YahoKa : Now, if windows is giving you those errors, then the OC is the problem, sinced you only uped the Multiplier, if you had uped the FSB i could tell you it could be a mem prob. Try uping the CPU by 50 mhz and see if the erros still happen. On another sidenote get a bigger heatsink.

Originally posted by Krome  

Your OS is installed for a certain frequency and then you change it, ofcourse your OS will not allow that...

HAHA>.. i still gotta laugh about that. Anyways.. you either have a crappy mobo or crappy memory.... One of them gotta go. That's the reason XP does that. If you've succesfully overclocked using other OSes on that same board then maybe it's cuz XP isn't fully compatible with alot of **** so that could be the prob. Also since you overclocked the bus then the PCI bus is also overclocked and a card could be causing write errors over the bus. Take out all the cards except your Video card and see if XP boots while being overclocked. If it does then keep putting cards back in till it doesn't anymore and you'll know which card is causing the problem.

I have an Asus A7V ... Kick ass board. The other cards/memory is not the problem because i only changed the multiplyer. Its not my heat-sink... i already told you the temp is fine, and if it was a heat problem it would just lock up, not give me a BSOD. I KNOW its Windows. This is the first thing M$ has done that REALLY ****es me off!

I am running Windows XP RTM and I have my Celeron 633 running at 950 with no problems...I don't see the problem having *anything* to do with XP... Once you start overclocking you start screwing with *everything*... Well depending on if you use the FSB or Multiplier to overclock... Everything meaning the hard drive, pci, agp, ram, cpu, motherboard chipset...

I'm running my 700 Duron at 728 by upping my front side bus to 104... this is because when I up my FSB it also increases my PCI bus speed which means that my computer will lock. If only I could change my multiplier I WOULD but my BIOS seems to auto detect and I cannot bypass it [all motherboard done - NOT jumper settings].

I know it's a bugger all amount of o/c'ing but it's better than none! Now if I could only find out how to change my multiplier .

I CAN change my FSB upto 133 by a jumper setting but that would take my PC upto 931 I GUESS, unless it changes the multiplier down when I increase my bus speed physically, but I don't think it would. :(

Originally posted by YahoKa  

...The other cards/memory is not the problem because i only changed the multiplyer....

Well apparently you don't know too much. Since you unlocked your CPU it's operting at a spec it shouldn't be. When changing the multiplier it's not meant to overclock really.. that kinda overclocking is usually never successful or it has adverse effects. If you had a 1.2ghz processor (12 X100) to overclock it using the multiplier you're supposed to use 9 X 133 to get 1.2ghz. I know it's not faster as in speed but you'll get lots more performance outta the PC than if you overclock your CPU to 1.5ghz. CPUs are way too fast now and it's the bus that can't keep up so overclock your CPU bus instead of the changing the multiplier. And changing the miltiplier on the mobo for the CPU also changes the PCI bus too since the CPU is operating at a faster speed so the PCI cards can have an effect on that... but since you're mister know it all and just too smart for the rest of us then who cares what I say.... I'm prolly totally wrong but then again i might be right.. :s

The PCI/Memory runs at a fraction of the FSB, NOT THE MULTIPLYER dubass! so my FSB is 100MHz (200MHz DDR), the pci will be 2/3 (66) of that, and memory will be 4/3 of that. If you change the multiplyer you dont affect the pci or mem bus. ITS WINDOWS XP I TELL YOU!

Originally posted by YahoKa  

The PCI/Memory runs at a fraction of the FSB, NOT THE MULTIPLYER dubass! so my FSB is 100MHz (200MHz DDR), the pci will be 2/3 (66) of that, and memory will be 4/3 of that. If you change the multiplyer you dont affect the pci or mem bus. ITS WINDOWS XP I TELL YOU!

Man.. you came asking for help there is no need to insult those that try...

The HEX displayed on a blue sceen is usually the memory address of the Kernel Segment causing the error this can be very helpful if the error is repeatable as you can decode the hex and eventually find the exact part of the system causing the crash. (I have done this a few times on NT servers) Problem is that you are saying that the crash changes all the time ? this is unusual .. does it occur at the same time ? there are multiple levels to booting an NT based system. If the error is immediate then it could be level 0.. these are critical services and usually means a re-install.. later in the process then there is hope of discovering the error and fixing it...

You are right in what you say about O/C except I don't understand your memory running at 4/3 of the FSB!.. I take it you mean its at 133 but the Processor is at 100DDR... I never liked doing this as I have encoutered stability problems... also check that the CAS setting for your memory is correct.. if you are unsure set it to 3-3-3.. and if you dont know what I am on about dont change it at all! :-)

FYI..O/C by multiplying is the best and safest way to O/C and doing it by the FSB only came about cus of Intel locking the PII.. its unstable and can damge components attached to your PCI/AGP bus.. personally with AMD chips the price they are...I don't see why you need to O/C at all..

....... BSOD which are always different are not MS fault .... this is your OC ....... yeah many solutions .....

do you use a nvdia card ???? then

------------------- DO NOT USE 12.41 WHQL -----------------

or the WinXP intern driver ...... this one is unstable .... it works but not fully try out 12.90 14.20 or 14.70

hope this can help you

I have just one thing to say:

Windows NT's (this includes 2K and XP) memory manager and bus arbitration/manager heavily rely on correct timings.

Overclocking system components will run you in trouble on WinNT (excludes graphics cards because the chip and memory clocks of those don't influence the AGP bus).

MY OC WORK FINE ON A ABIT KT7-RAID MB FROM 600 D CLOCK TO 8OO AND NOW MY 900 CLOCK TOO 1100 IN BOTH AT 35C TO 51C DEPENDING ON WHAT IM DOING WITH BETA 1 TO CORP XP

SO GET A NEW MB OR AS SOMEONE SAID BETTER MEMORY