HP CEO says customers who don't use the company's supplies are "bad investments"

HP, an organization with a PR record so bad it would make Amazon blush, is endearing itself to the public once again. In an interview where he discusses the firm's controversial ink subscription model and the policy of forcing people to use its own cartridges, CEO Enrique Lores said that customers who don't use HP's own supplies are a "bad investment" for the company. 

HP is very insistent that users of its printers don't turn to cheaper third-party alternatives for their ink cartridges. It introduced a feature called Dynamic Security in 2016 that is supposedly a way of protecting the company's intellectual property and the quality of the customer experience by preventing the use of ink or toner cartridges that do not contain new or reused HP chips or electronic circuitry. It was initially removed following customer outcry but reappeared in 2017.

https://www.techspot.com/news/101593-hp-ceo-customers-who-dont-use-companies-supplies.html

Edited by Steven P.
removed page formatting and 60% of article text

If you're not making money selling your printers and expect to recoup that money on ink, but people aren't buying ink.....maybe charge more for the printers?

I would never recommend a printer brand that does not allow third party ink to any of my friends or family. If all major brands stop accepting third party ink, I guess it's time to stop printing on paper because it's just not worth the price gouging.

My mom is still using a brother j480dw from 2015. She buys dirt cheap ink packs off amazon and they work most of the time without issue. The thing is they're so cheap that even if one is bad, she just swaps it for a good one. At $10 for a cmyk pack which is roughly a fifth of the price of a brother 3 pack + black (LC203).

Hugs my $100 Canon printer from 10 years ago. I bought a 2-pack of toner for $18.99. I purchased it 4 years 6 years ago and I'm still on the 2nd toner. That's with actually using the printer to do invoices and stuff.

• Like 2

On 30/01/2024 at 12:26, Warwagon said:

Hugs my $100 Canon printer from 10 years ago. I bought a 2-pack of toner for $18.99. I purchased it 4 years 6 years ago and I'm still on the 2nd toner. That's with actually using the printer to do invoices and stuff.

I hate our Canon laser printer. We moved away from Brother. Big mistake.

• Like 2

On 31/01/2024 at 09:24, virtorio said:

Remember kids, say NO to HP.

Also, Friends don't let Friends use Brother printers.

On 30/01/2024 at 14:10, Mud W1ggle said:

Hard disagree. 

On 31/01/2024 at 10:10, Mud W1ggle said:

Why's that?

On 30/01/2024 at 16:10, Mud W1ggle said:

Have a Brother HL-2270DW (B&W Laser) that thing been a tank, and the official toner is affordable.
Curious what experience you've had.

On 30/01/2024 at 14:22, satukoro said:

If you're not making money selling your printers and expect to recoup that money on ink, but people aren't buying ink.....maybe charge more for the printers?

I would never recommend a printer brand that does not allow third party ink to any of my friends or family. If all major brands stop accepting third party ink, I guess it's time to stop printing on paper because it's just not worth the price gouging.

My mom is still using a brother j480dw from 2015. She buys dirt cheap ink packs off amazon and they work most of the time without issue. The thing is they're so cheap that even if one is bad, she just swaps it for a good one. At $10 for a cmyk pack which is roughly a fifth of the price of a brother 3 pack + black (LC203).

Recently won a Brother MFC-J430dw (previous model I believe) via gov deals auction (cheap), really impressed with the scanner functionality and how cheap the ink, and love the front loading ink cart design.

On 31/01/2024 at 13:43, virtorio said:

Why's that?

Because I have never seen a Brother printer perform at peak for more than about 2 mins after its installed.  Maybe its different in the US or UK, but here in NZ, Brother printers are utter and complete trash...  and the software.. dont get me started on how intrusive and buggy/crash prone that is..

On 31/01/2024 at 15:02, Mud W1ggle said:

Because I have never seen a Brother printer perform at peak for more than about 2 mins after its installed.  Maybe its different in the US or UK, but here in NZ, Brother printers are utter and complete trash...  and the software.. dont get me started on how intrusive and buggy/crash prone that is..

I'm in NZ and every Brother printer I've used has been rock solid.

On 30/01/2024 at 19:29, virtorio said:

I'm in NZ and every Brother printer I've used has been rock solid.

Brother has always been rock solid for me. The only reason I have Canon is because my Brother laser (older model) died and there was nothing in stock. I am going back as soon as the Canon blows up.

Every one I've had has been rock solid and stable network support.  Even wifi.

On 30/01/2024 at 19:02, Mud W1ggle said:

I've never had to use software with Brother laser printers. They even connect flawlessly in Linux. I wish I could say the same about Canon.

• Like 2

On 31/01/2024 at 15:50, adrynalyne said:

Brother has always been rock solid for me. The only reason I have Canon is because my Brother laser (older model) died and there was nothing in stock. I am going back as soon as the Canon blows up.

Every one I've had has been rock solid and stable network support.  Even wifi.

I've never had to use software with Brother laser printers. They even connect flawlessly in Linux. I wish I could say the same about Canon.

Everyone has their own experiences I guess.

I dont condone what HP is doing, but I must admit my older HP 477 Laserjet is rock solid and has never given me an ounce of trouble either..

I've had great experiences with Brother lasers.  👍

And there's this:  "Just Buy It"

2024-01-302.png.3a7c800092a36066096af8ebe7d41f25.png

On 30/01/2024 at 19:58, Eternal Tempest said:

Recently won a Brother MFC-J430dw (previous model I believe) via gov deals auction (cheap), really impressed with the scanner functionality and how cheap the ink, and love the front loading ink cart design.

One of the reasons I bought that printer for my mom in the first place was the print quality. If I remember correctly it could go up to 2400 or 4800 dpi or something, it was ridiculous. Also for $80 bucks at the time, it was about $40 cheaper than the HP and Epson printers I used to sell. Additionally the scanner was really good but I didn't use it too much.

On 30/01/2024 at 20:09, Mud W1ggle said:

Everyone has their own experiences I guess.

I dont condone what HP is doing, but I must admit my older HP 477 Laserjet is rock solid and has never given me an ounce of trouble either..

I think every brand probably has their lemons.

I got a brother 2551DW, easily the best printer I ever had. Last one ironically was an HP Laser Jet 1020... which lasted me 25+ years, until it decided to die finally. But we are talking about the hp from 25 years, nowadays they just produce junk.

On 31/01/2024 at 11:44, Arceles said:

I got a brother 2551DW, easily the best printer I ever had. Last one ironically was an HP Laser Jet 1020... which lasted me 25+ years, until it decided to die finally. But we are talking about the hp from 25 years, nowadays they just produce junk.

I remember we had old Laser Jet 4 in the 90's in our labs, those lasted forever.

Eventually we had to replace them when PDF's would start to commonly overwhelm the memory limitation they had.

We also use Brother and recommended one to my parents who also love theirs.

...granted, I never update the firmware in it on purpose just in case though.

Also:  stay away from Epson.  Pretty sure there was a lawsuit in the UK somewhere about their ink shenanigans too.

I've got a couple of Brother HL-L5100DN mono laser printers at work which are rock solid.

I estimate they are easily printing 400,000 - 500,000 pages a year (ecommerce orders) and just keep going.

I'm tempted to get one at home, for the amount I actually print it would probably still be working a couple of decades from now.

On 30/01/2024 at 19:26, Mockingbird said:

Per community rules, please do not copy entire articles over in forum posts, an acceptable amount to copy over is 40% or less.

I also removed the page formatting colors that were copied over, which did not work in the Darkside theme.

On 30/01/2024 at 20:50, adrynalyne said:

Brother has always been rock solid for me.

Same, at work and home. I even got my Mom one.  A truly set it and forget it experience.

• Like 2