Time Travel

Do you believe time travel is possible?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe time travel is possible?

• No - not at all
    • Yes - To the past only
    • Yes - To the future only
    • Yes - Both to the past and to the future
    • I have no earthly idea.

Yes, time travel into the future is possible; you're doing it right now. To go faster than others? Only if you could travel near the speed of light. Which, for right now, is not possible.

My stance is this:

Based on everything I've read, and my *very* limited understanding of quantum physics, I believe travel to the past could be possible (but not currently) because it (the past) already exists. Travel to the future is a sticky subject. I can't really find enough study or evidence to arrive at an opinion for myself.

--Kas

People,

Let's make this simple. Travel to, what we call "the past" or events that have happened in our lives and/or the lives prior to ours is impossible. Period.

Consider what is called the Grandfather Paradox. If I was to go back in time and kill my grandfather, then my father could not be born, therefor *I* could not be born, therefor I could not go back in time to kill my grandfather in the firstplace... therefor he would not have been killed (repeat sentence until brain hurts)

The only option (and when I say only I mean *ONLY*) is if the idea of a single universe is incorrect and there are infinite universe's where each transaction we have within our lives plays out. So you would not so much be going back in time as you would be switching your universe.

In any case... the probabilities of us being able to comrehend this issue are excessively slim.

as for jma's statement, we have proven that the faster you travel the slow time goes RELATIVE to others. Meaning if you had two exacting watches, put one on the space shuttle (which has a measly speed of 17,580 mph) and left the other here on earth. Becuase of the speed of the craft time would slow down COMPARED to that of the time on earth. See Einsteins THEORY of relativity for more details, and / or read Carl Sagen's old book Cosmos.

Peace,

James

i wonder if the "star trek slingshot around the sun at the speed of light thing would take you back in time thing" would work? :unsure:

what about that einstein thing were you travel faster than the speed of light in a certian direction around the earth cant remeber if that sends you back or forward but would that work?

Im thinking that maybe physically going back in time is not possible but what about just viewing the past from the present. For example isnt watching stars going super novae viewing past events? The star blew up millions of years ago but we are just now witnessing it, hence viewing past events right? And for even more crazyness what if man could create a wormhole and travel across teh universe then build a humongous telescope and point it towards earth, we may be able to see the earth (or galaxy) forming from 4 billion years ago :blink: what do you guys think, possible or just crazyness?

Im thinking that maybe physically going back in time is not possible but what about just viewing the past from the present.  For example isnt watching stars going super novae viewing past events?  The star blew up millions of years ago but we are just now witnessing it, hence viewing past events right?  And for even more crazyness what if man could create a wormhole and travel across teh universe then build a humongous telescope and point it towards earth, we may be able to see the earth (or galaxy) forming from 4 billion years ago  :blink:  what do you guys think, possible or just crazyness?

That's not time travel, that's light taking a long long time to reach another place. Like the light we're getting from the Sun is 8 minutes old (e.g. we're seeing the Sun as it was 8 minutes ago because the light just reached us).

Consider what is called the Grandfather Paradox. If I was to go back in time and kill my grandfather, then my father could not be born, therefor *I* could not be born, therefor I could not go back in time to kill my grandfather in the firstplace... therefor he would not have been killed (repeat sentence until brain hurts)

Unless you become your own grandfather like Fry does in Futurama :shifty:

lol... no idea... think of this:

EVERYTHING we see *is* past... the monitor you're looking at right now is past! cause light needs some time (very little) to travel from the monitor to your eyes... so *everything* is past... just depends on how 'old' is the object you're looking at :)

Btw: the neowin database time traveled (to the past) successfully!!!

Well, folks, what do you think? I'm interested in hearing the opinions of some of the brightest people on the planet. :)

Then look elsewhere :shifty: :D

I dont think it would be really possible - we'll have annihilated ourselves before we manage to figure out how to go back and forward in time.

Time travel is possible.

One way to do it is like what was mentioned before, travel close to the speed of light in order to slow time down for yourself, you would go into the future. But only because time for you has slowed, and has stayed the same for everyone else. Its not like an actual time machine.

Another way to go into the future, is to sit beside a massive body such as a black hole, or even here on earth it works. Clocks in orbit tick by 4% faster then they do here on earth, because space is more warped on earth than it is in space.

A side effect of going the speed of light, or faster, is that objectsget shorter. Its one of einsteins equations. Don't ask me how lol. But here is one reason why you can't go either 1 as fast as light, or 2, faster than light.

This is a TI calculator program that I wrote based off of one of einsteins equations. this program shows how long an object would be at a certain velocity, entered by the user. should the user enter 186282 ( the speed of light ), or greater, the program crashes with an error. The error is that the calculator is trying to find the square root of a negative number, basically meaning that the object becomes infinitely thin, or 2 dimensional. But, yes time travel is possible, we do it every day. In order for time travel into the past you would need to go faster than light. The below program also can explain why thats not possible.

Just type the below into the TI-82,83, or 89 calculators in the program thingy....

186282 -> C

ClrHome

Menu("Options","Contraction",A)

Lbl A

ClrHome

Disp "This calculates", "length of","Moving objects"

Disp"Enter the Length","of the object", "At rest","and the","velocity"

Prompt A,V

V^2 ->G

C^2 ->H

G/H ->I

1 - I -> J

square(J) -> K

A*K -> L

ClrHome

Disp "The length of ", " the moving obj", " is ",

Disp L

Disp "Rest length is"

Disp A

Disp "Velocity is"

Disp V

pause

stop

:rolleyes: Many of the Space aliens do it all the time. Time is really an illusion. Everyone can and sometimes does 'travel' out-of-body at night when they sleep; to other places, other times.

travelling faster than light blah blah blah so you can go back in time is rubbish. i think the thread starter meant actually going back in time. i.e. last year, not a few nano-seconds...

so that would be a no - not at all :rolleyes:

Edited by elliot

lets not forget quantom thery.... no to identical things can exist...... u need to destroy the first to recreate it somewhere else... now... that must be out of lights control.... :)

lets not forget quantom thery.... no to identical things can exist...... u need to destroy the first to recreate it somewhere else... now... that must be out of lights control.... :)

first i don't belive in timetravel till i see it, second, if you go before your even concived, then there would be no problem.

first i don't belive in timetravel till i see it, second, if you go before your even concived, then there would be no problem.

Actually, if you went back into the past, to solve a problem, well.... whats where the multiple universe theory comes in. Sorry, don't have a program for that one lol. But umm the way I understand it, that would create to universes, one where the problem still existed and one where the problem didn't.... from what I understand anyway. and umm not believeing in time travel? Time travel is not something to believe in. Time travel is a fact of the universe we live in. Read the book The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, he does a really nice job of explaining it in simple terms.

argh...... You don't travel into the future per se.... you just slow time down for yourself, by traveling close to the speed of light, or by being in the vicinity of a massive object. While Time has not slowed for everyone else, once you return to 'normal time', it seems as though you have traveled into the future.

"I'm interested in hearing the opinions of some of the brightest people on the planet."

So - we're here - why? ;-)

"Travel to, what we call "the past" or events that have happened in our lives and/or the lives prior to ours is impossible"

Sooo untrue...

"If I was to go back in time and kill my grandfather, then my father could not be born, therefor *I* could not be born"

Exactly - so you would want to avoid that.

"The only option (and when I say only I mean *ONLY*) is if the idea of a single universe is incorrect and there are infinite universe's where each transaction we have within our lives plays out."

You're half-way there. At any given point there are an infinite number of possible futures yet to be played out, but at any given time, only a single set of past events that have happened.

If someone or something went back and changed an event, from this point in the time stream, the past would have changed, but we would not know it, having lived it only one way since then. The time stream does not care where the casual factor comes from.

"If it was possible to travel through time.. someone from the "future" would have visited us by now "

Actually this is one of the best proofs that it has happened.

"Time is really an illusion."

Not really - a physical limitation, normally. Which is why...

"Everyone can and sometimes does 'travel' out-of-body at night when they sleep; to other places, other times."

Ever so true, and it is the cheapest and most common type of time travel (oh yes, I've got proof) but it isn't interactive, unfortunately.

" no to identical things can exist"

Ah, but the entire body is replaced cell by cell, periodically...

Niven's Law: "If time travel that changes the past is possible, people will keep changing history until it reaches the one stable state -- one in which nobody ever invents a time machine, anywhere, ever"