-=What is Warez=-

what is warez ??

In many post people have delted the links to betas of products e.g XP-Lindows-sp3...... and so on. But Neowin.net has beta drivers for nvidia graphics cards that have been leaked so isn't that warez ?????

-=Im not moaning=-

from dicionary.com

1. warez

/weirz/ A term used by software pirates use to describe a cracked game or application that is made available to the Internet, usually via FTP or telnet, often the pirate will make use of a site with lax security.

Software piracy is illegal and should be reported to the Federation Against Software Theft (FAST).

2. warez

/weirz/ n. Widely used in cracker subcultures to denote cracked version of commercial software, that is versions from which copy-protection has been stripped. Hackers recognize this term but don't use it themselves. See warez d00dz.

obviously anyone who has 200 posts here at neowin KNOWS what warez is..

i think your point is valid though....

if someone had a leaked version of Longhorn, a link to it would not be tolerated.....yet these links to leaked drivers are welcomed with open arms.

I do though see where thee is a difference between the two things......and why leaked drivers might be tolerated.

The leaked driver beta's aren't even close to questionable, at least not to me. Why? Because even though, yes, technically you shouldn't have your hands on them yet, BUT you won't have to pay for them in the end. :)

Thus to me, that = no warez

MS makes money off of Longhorn.

Nividia does not make money off of drivers (well, directly. improving performance and stability increases sales)

So, you can see why nVidia hasn't reacted to things like this. If they made money off of their drivers, they'd be all over NeoWin like a cheap suit.

Its part of Nvidia's master plan, let slip fresh (and usually fast) beta's to the community, were happy cos we think were getting something for free, and we can boast about our extra 300 points in 3dmark 2001 se. that way it almost becomes a addiction to keeping up with the No.'s Secondly they dont have to worry about the slow crappy "official" drivers, cos everyone is usin unofficial drivers, they then have denability "They were Beta sir..." it doesnt matter as much if there buggy, or kill a few machines. while all this is going on they have there next 25mhz faster card ready to sell you, and u dont mind aslong as u can keep upgrading them damn drivers and keep counting a 1% increase in 3dmark every couple of weeks or so....

Originally posted by [f] 

obviously anyone who has 200 posts here at neowin KNOWS what warez is..

i think your point is valid though....

if someone had a leaked version of Longhorn, a link to it would not be tolerated.....yet these links to leaked drivers are welcomed with open arms.

I do though see where thee is a difference between the two things......and why leaked drivers might be tolerated.

not exactly. you don't have to have 200 posts to know what warez is :/ I knew what warez was like 4 years ago... Before neowin even existed :D

But yeah, its basically getting software for free, beta, full, ANY type of software for free. Through downloading off the internet.... A cd copy would be a 'back-up.'

my point was nemo, that he wasn't asking what warez was.....even though those were the words he used....

he knows, he was making a point..

at least thats how it read to me....he wasn't asking, he was saying that to make a comparative point between the leaked drivers and like my example...a link to longhorn.

cheers.

Originally posted by [f] 

my point was nemo, that he wasn't asking what warez was.....even though those were the words he used....

he knows, he was making a point..

at least thats how it read to me....he wasn't asking, he was saying that to make a comparative point between the leaked drivers and like my example...a link to longhorn.

cheers.

yeah i know.. i was just saying :)

What about this point.  

If I place a Link to a leaked Service pack that would be taken down.  

Now a Service Pack is Free, Same as Drivers, so why wouldn't that be allowed?

very good point :)

In the case of drivers (which isn't a warez issue) it's up to the copyright holder, a free product can be illegal to distribute if the copyright holder says so, ultimately they have the final say in how their product is distributed, by who, and when, etc.

In the case of drivers NVidia doesn't seem to mind the leaks at all, now BIOS are another story ;-)

Edit: In the case of a Service Pack, Microsoft doesn't allow people to distribute them, which is within their rights as copy right holders, and as such they would pursue legal action if the link wasn't removed.

Originally posted by PM5K  

In the case of drivers (which isn't a warez issue) it's up to the copyright holder, a free product can be illegal to distribute if the copyright holder says so, ultimately they have the final say in how their product is distributed, by who, and when, etc.

In the case of drivers NVidia doesn't seem to mind the leaks at all, now BIOS are another story ;-)

Edit: In the case of a Service Pack, Microsoft doesn't allow people to distribute them, which is within their rights as copy right holders, and as such they would pursue legal action if the link wasn't removed.

Show me what says that they don't allow it.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=legal_info

Read Single Copy License and Ownership of materials.

Because even Leaked drivers are still from Nvidia that means they own the copyright on them.

"Materials are copyrighted and are protected by worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. They may not be copied, reproduced, modified, published, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, without NVIDIA's prior written permission."

Quoted under OWNERSHIP OF MATERIALS

I rest my case.

"I rest my case."

What ? You made it seem like you disagreed with me when you said for me to show you where it said that, then you showed everyone what I was talking about, then made it seem like you agreed with me ?

Sorry. Didn't mean it like that I just wanted to see where it actually specifies that.

In this case Both Service Packs and Leaked Drivers are illegal as per terms of agreement, License or copyright in par with the copyright holder.

That means that Neowin are then breaking there own rules when posting links to leaked Nvidia Drivers. As it does state in there agreement that it is not allowed.

The Drivers originated from Nvidia and therefore become illegal when leaked. Even thou they do not seem to worry about it it is still illegal by the terms of their copyright.