networking question

I have a networking question for you guys. We have @home (come this weekend, mediacom will switch to their own servers) cable internet. We are using a router to share the internet amongst us three roomates. And of course there is a static ip. Lately I have been having troubles with edonkey and direct connect. So last nite i connected the modem to a hub. And from the hub, sent a chord to the router and one to my computer. This would work in theory, but I have to input the ip settings to my computer, as well as the router. And that results in the same ip on two computers on the network, which isn't allowed.

So here is what i want. I want to be outside of the router, but yet use the router so my roomates can get internet. And no, I can't just use the hub. My roomate spent money on the linksys router, so i want to use it for the other two guys, but yet I want to get internet without being behind the router.

Get all that? :D Let me know if you have any ideas, or if i need to clarify things.

Well i have a laptop, so i don't really want to dish the money out for another nic. As for dmz, that doesn't work. Thats only for firewall. If you put the ip in dmz, you are still behind the router, but not protected by the router's firewall. But I already tried dmz thinking it would work...but it doesn't

Ok find out your internal ip address. Next, access the router thru the web interface. Click on Advanced, then click on Forwarding. Enter in the spefic (sp?) ports that the apps need and enter in your ip address. it apply. That will open the port(s) to your ip address. Just make sure you close the ports when you are done.

But if my ip is under dmz, it shouldn't matter. Unless I'm totally missing the concept of dmz. From what i understand, with an ip under dmz, it is unprotected by the firewall and opens all porst. Correct me if I am wrong though

you are correct. I was assuming that you would be behind the firewall when doing this. I have seen the Linksys not correctly handle machines in its DMZ before. Try sticking yourself back behind the firewall and try it.

Also maybe look and see if you have the latest firmware version for the linksys.