magicdev

From what I have found on Google, magicdev is a little program that checks for newly mounted devices and attempts to display icons/autorun them.

The problem I have is that after a lot of disk access (copying files or watching a divx file from cd, for example) or about a day of uptime, the magicdev process starts using about 80% of my cpu time every second or so, and while it does this I cannot move the mouse and video play stutters.

All I can find on the web about magicdev are bug reports about this exact problem but no solutions.

Killing the process fixes the problem but disables the icons for CDs automatically appearing.

Does anybody else experience this or know of a fix (other that rebooting)?

Gnome: 2.4

Until I can fix this, I'm back onto XP as a freezing mouse makes me upset :cry:

Thanks

Andy

Is magicdev a Gnome-only thing?

I have FC1, and use KDE. I am not having any sort of weird mouse or CPU usage problems...

I grepped my ps list and didn't see this as a task on my system.

Yeah, I think it is. I think kde's equivalent is called autostart or something. I'm not sure since I personally prefer Gnome. Anyway, I've reinstalled Fedora (I had a few other 'issues' with it) and chose not to install the pesky magicdev. And all is good, except I have to manually mount CDs, but that's no problem :)