Gentoo Linux 2004.0 Released

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6206

If you wanna upgrade a 1.4 installation then you can get the update via emerge.

New stage tarballs are available in the approrpriate places...

http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/gentoo/releas.../2004.0/stages/

(mirrors --> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml )

...but the LiveCD ISOs are not yet available just yet. Here's a comment taken from the above source explaining why...

I'm the release manager for 2004.0. We don't have the actual goods up yet because we are waiting for the mirrors to propogate some before we unleash it to the world :) All is ready to go, we are just pushing it through our infrastructure. Cheers -

...so give it a day or so.

I don't do gentoo so don't ask me about it, I just thought I'd let peeps interested know about the release (Y)

A 2.6.x kernel? Ι think it's time to test Gentoo :) !

By the way, does anyone know if a Linux Kernel is released which supports Intel Software RAID? I'm currently using a RAID-0 array of 2 serial ATA HDDs with Windows already installed, so it's important to know...

WOOHOO! GENTOO RULES!! I recommend the Love-sources kernel... its always got the latest patches (includes mm patches also, but also includes a lot more)... only thing is new ones come out like every week so I'm always upgrading... course you don't have to but hey, where would the fun be if you didn't? Search for love on forums.gentoo.org

is ther ea fully compiled ISO yet ? I found a "universal" one, but only one disc, previous versions of gentoo were 2 discs.

Will there be an i686 full release in the future ?

Gentoo is awesome...I'm running the 2.6.3-mm-r1 kernel, can't wait to update to 2.6.4-mm.

If you're going to install it, emerge the mm-sources, they are amazing!

Time to update my system...:)

do the mm and love sources have lirc modules patched in? I am running gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.2 and i have not had one problem... speed is great too. Whats the benefit of the mm or the love sources?

do the mm and love sources have lirc modules patched in? I am running gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.2 and i have not had one problem... speed is great too. Whats the benefit of the mm or the love sources?

mainly they have even more aggressive patches than the gentoo-dev-sources. love-patchset ist based on mm-patchset, and if you like patch-overkill you could apply the evil-patchset over the love-patchset :blink: . in general they have the latest & greatest patches in them (also for the lirc-modules), run even faster than the gentoo-dev & use other schedulers (i prefer cfq-scheduler available in love-sources, REALLY improves speed). many of the patches in love & mm go into main kernel branch for the next releases. you should by any means consider them unstable, allthough they have proven to be more stable than gentoo-dev many times. as they have really speedy update cycles (love-sources really run through them, had to recompile kernel nearly every day to stay on top of things), i personally think everyone with an uptime of 24 hours on one kernel is chicken :D

i prefer cfq-scheduler available in love-sources, REALLY improves speed

The CFQ (Completely Fair Queueing) scheduler is available in the mm-sources as well as the love-sources. Just a quick FYI.

is ther ea fully compiled ISO yet ? I found a "universal" one, but only one disc, previous versions of gentoo were 2 discs.

Will there be an i686 full release in the future ?

If you have high speed internet then you can emerge whatever components you want. There's no need to burn more than one disk unless you are installing Gentoo on multiple systems.

If you have high speed internet then you can emerge whatever components you want. There's no need to burn more than one disk unless you are installing Gentoo on multiple systems.

:) will be playign with it when i get a spare few hours

The CFQ (Completely Fair Queueing) scheduler is available in the mm-sources as well as the love-sources. Just a quick FYI.

sry, didn't know about that, by the time i switched from mm to love only love implemented the cfq-scheduler :blush: